- Volume 24 Issue 5
Antioxidant Activity of Dietary Fibers from Tubers and Stalks of Sweet Potato and Their Anti-cancer Effect in Human Colon Cancer
고구마 괴근과 잎자루 식이섬유의 항산화 효과 및 인간 대장암세포에 대한 항암작용
- Jeong, Haeng Soon (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, College of Medical and Life Science, Silla University) ;
- Joo, Hyun (Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Inje University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Hwa (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, College of Medical and Life Science, Silla University)
- Published : 2013.10.31
Contents of the total polyphenols and flavonoids in the dietary fiber from tubers and stalks of domestic sweet potatoes were investigated. In addition, their antioxidant activity as well as the potent anti-cancer effects through the growth inhibition in human colon cancer cells (HT-29) in vitro were tested. The total flavonoids as naringin equivalents in dietary fiber from tubers and stalks of sweet potatoes were
- A. Jemal, T. Murray, A. Samuels, A. Ghafoor, E. Ward, and M. J. Thun, Cancer statistics, 2003, CA. Cancer J. Clin., 53, 5 (2003). https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.53.1.5
- J. Laurier, Alarming increase in cancer rates, WHO report, 21, 2 (2006).
- B. W. Stewart and P. Kleihues, WHO internationalagency for research on cancer, World cancer report, Lyon, 352 (2003).
- P. Boyle and J. Ferlay, Cancer incidence and mortality in Europe, 2004, Ann. Oncol., 16, 481 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi098
- Y. S. Yoon, C. S.Yu, S. H. Jung, P. W. Choi, K. R. Han, H. C. Kim, and J. C. Kim, Characteristics of colorectal cancer detected at the health promotion center, J. Korean Soc. Coloproctol., 23, 321 (2007). https://doi.org/10.3393/jksc.2007.23.5.321
- Y. Surh, Molecular mechanisms of chemopreventive effects of selected dietary and medicinal phenolic substances, Mutat Res., 428, 305 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5742(99)00057-5
- M. Banerjee, P. Singh, and D. Panda, Curcumin suppresses the dynamic instability of microtubules, activates the mitotic checkpointand induces apoptosis in MCF-7 cells, FEBS J., 277, 3437 (2010).
- J. A. Woolfe, Sweetpotato; an untapped food resource, Cambridge University Press, 142, Cambridge, UK (1992).
- M. Yoshimoto, O. Yamakawa, and H. Tanoue, Potential chemopreventiveproperties and varietal difference of dietary fiber from sweetpotato (Ipomoeabatatas L.) Root, JARQ, 39, 37 (2005).
- N. N. Reddy and W. A. Sistrunk, Effect of cultivar, size, storage, and cooking method on carbohydrates and some nutrients of sweet potatoes, J. Food Sci., 45, 682 (1980). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1980.tb04131.x
- M. Yoshimoto, S. Okuno, R. Yamakawa, H. Tanoue, and H. Sibata, Adsorption of carcinogen by steet potato fiber and the antibacterial activity, Sougou Nougyou., 1998, 92 (1999).
- S. W. Lowe, H. E. Ruley, T. Jacks, and D. E. Housman, p53-dependent apoptosis modulates the cytotoxicity of anticancer agents, Cell, 74, 957 (1993a). https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(93)90719-7
- M. Schuler and D. R. Green, Mechanisms of p53-dependent apoptosis, Biochem. Soc. Trans., 29, 684 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1042/BST0290684
- A. Gradilone, P. Gazzaniga, D. Ribuffo, S. Scarpa, E. Cigna, F. Vasaturo, U. Bottoni, D. Innocenzi, S. Calvieri, N. Scuderi, L. Frati, and A. M. Aglianò, Survivin, bcl-2, bax, and bcl-X gene expression in sentinel lymph nodes from melanoma patients, J. Clin. Oncol., 21, 306 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.08.066
- G. Ambrosini, C. Adida, and D. C. Altieri, A novel anti-apoptosis gene, surviving, expressed in cancer and lymphoma, Nature Med., 3, 917 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0897-917
- C. C. Chang, M. H. Yang, H. M. Wen, and J. C. Chen, Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods, J. Food Drug Anal., 10, 178 (2002).
- V. L. Singleton and J. A. Rossi, Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents, Am. J. Enol. Viticult, 16, 144 (1965).
- M. G. Hertog, P. C. Hollman, M. B. Katan, and D. Kromhout, Intake of potentially anticarcinogenic flavonoids and their determinants in adults in the Netherlands, Nutr. Cancer, 20, 21 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589309514267
- J. S. Carew and P. Huang, Mitochondrial defects in cancer, Mol. Cancer, 1, 1 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-1-1
- M. J. Ryu and H. S. Chung, Effects on hot water extract of Schizandrachinensison colon cancer cell line, Food Eng. Prog., 15, 64 (2012).
- B. Vogelstein, D. Lane, and A. J. Levine, Surfing the p53 network, Nature, 408, 307 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1038/35042675
- E. C. L. Casse, S. Baird, R. G. Korneluk, and A. E. Mackenzie, The inhibitors of apoptosis (IAPs) and their emerging role in cancer, Oncogene, 17, 3247 (1998).