- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Enhanced Attitude Determination with IMU using Estimation of Lever Arms
레버암 상태 추정을 이용한 IMU 의 자세 결정 알고리즘
- Fang, Tae Hyun (Maritime Safety Research Division, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST)) ;
- Oh, Jaeyong (Maritime Safety Research Division, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST)) ;
- Park, Sekil (Maritime Safety Research Division, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST)) ;
- Park, Byoun-Jae (Maritime Safety Research Division, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST)) ;
- Cho, Deuk-Jae (Maritime Safety Research Division, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST))
- 황태현 (한국해양과학기술원 해양안 전기술연구부) ;
- 오재용 (한국해양과학기술원 해양안 전기술연구부) ;
- 박세길 (한국해양과학기술원 해양안 전기술연구부) ;
- 박병재 (한국해양과학기술원 해양안 전기술연구부) ;
- 조득재 (한국해양과학기술원 해양안 전기술연구부)
- Received : 2013.04.12
- Accepted : 2013.09.02
- Published : 2013.10.01
In this paper, an enhanced method for attitude determination is proposed for systems using an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit). In attitude determination with IMU, it is generally assumed that the IMU can be located in the center of gravity on the vehicle. If the IMU is not located in the center of gravity, the accelerometers of the IMU are disturbed from additive accelerations such as centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration. Additive accelerations are derived from the lever arm which is the distance between the center of gravity and the position of the IMU. The performance of estimation errors can be maintained in system with a non-zero lever arm, if the lever arm is estimated to remove the additive accelerations from the accelerometer's measurements. In this paper, an estimation using Kalman filter is proposed to include the lever arm in the state variables of the state space equation. For the Kalman filter, the process model and the measurement model for attitude determination are made up by using quaternion. In order to evaluate the proposed algorithm, both of the simulations and the experiments are performed for the simplified scenario of motion.
Supported by : 기초기술연구회, 한국해양과학기술원
- D. Gebre-Egziabher, R. C. Hayward, and J. D. Powell, "Design of multi-sensor attitude determination systems," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 622-649, 2004.
- D. T. Greenwood, Principles of Dynamics, Prentice Hall, 1988.
- R. F. Stengel, Flight Dynamics, Princeton University Press, 2004.
- H.-J. Kwak, J.-M. Hwang, J.-H. Kim, and G.-T. Park, "Development and application of three-axis motion rate table for efficient calibration of accelerometer and gyroscope," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 632-637, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.7.632
- Y. S. Suh and Y. Chee, "Foot motion estimation smoother using inertial sensors," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 471-478, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.5.471
- M. S. Hwang and W. J. Park, "Flight dynamics modeling using quaternion," Proc. of Korea Automatic Control Conference (in Korean), pp. 1114-1117, Oct. 2000.
- C. K. Jack, "Quaternion kinematic and dynamic differential equations," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 53-64, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.127239
- A. Gelb, Applied Optimal Estimation, The MIT Press, 1974.
- S. Hong, M. H. Lee, S.-H. Kwon, and H.-H. Chun, "Estimation of Errors in the Integration of GPS and INS," Proc. of the Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 2774- 2779, 2004.
- T. H. Fang, J. Oh, S. Park, B.-J. Park, and D.-J. Cho, "Enhanced attitude determination using estimation of lever arms considering mounting position of IMU," Proc. of 2013 28th ICROS Annual Conference (in Korean), pp. 377-378, May 2013.
- I. Y. Bar-Itzhack and Y. Oshman, "Attitude determination from vector observations: quaternion estimation," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 128-136, 1985.
- D. Choukroun, I. Y. Bar-Itzhack, and Y. Oshman, "Novel quaternion Kalman filer," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 174-190, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2006.1603413
- Attitude determination algorithm using state estimation including lever arms between center of gravity and IMU vol.14, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-015-0251-4