- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Dust Detection Sensor System for Improvement of a Robot Vacuum Cleaner
청소 로봇 성능 향상을 위한 먼지 검출 시스템
- Kim, Dong-Hoe (Department of Electrical Engineering, KyungHee University) ;
- Min, Byung-Cheol (Computer & Information Technology, Purdue University) ;
- Kim, Donghan (Department of Electrical Engineering, KyungHee University)
- Received : 2013.04.12
- Accepted : 2013.09.02
- Published : 2013.10.01
In this paper, we develop a dust detection sensor system capable of identifying types of dust for an improvement of a robot vacuum cleaner. The dust detection sensor system is composed of a set of infra-red sensors: a single transmitter and multiple receivers. Given the fixed amount of light transmitted from the transmitter, the amount of light coming in multiple receiver sensors varies, depending on the type and density of dust that is passing between the transmitter and the receivers. Therefore, the type of dust can be identified by means of observing the change of the amount of light from the receiver sensors. For experiments, we use two types of dust, rice and sesame, and validate the effectiveness of the proposed method.
Supported by : 지식경제부, 교육과학기술부
- J. Fink, V. Bauwens, F. Kaplan, P. Dillenbourg "Living with a vacuum cleaning robot," International Journal of Social Robotics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 389-408, Aug. 2013 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12369-013-0190-2
- F. Jodi and C. DiSalvo, "Service robots in the domestic environment: a study of the roomba vacuum in the home," Proc. of the 1st ACM SIGCHI/SIGART Conference on Human-Robot Interaction, ACM, pp. 258-265, 2006.
- M.-K. Nam, "A study on present condition of development and market of artificial intelligence robot in and out of country," Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 198-207, 2010.
- M. A. Batalin, G. S. Sukhatme, and M Hattig, "Mobile robot navigation using a sensor network," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 1, pp. 636-642, Apr. 2004.
- N. L. Doh, C. Kim, and W. K. Chung, "A practical path planner for the robotic vacuum cleaner in rectilinear environments," Consumer Electronics, IEEE Transactions on vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 519-527, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2007.381724
- H. J. Kim, H. J. Lee, S. Chung, and C. S. Kim "User-centered approach to path planning of cleaning robots: analyzing user's cleaning behavior," Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-robot interaction, ACM, pp. 273-380, 2007.
- Z. Chen and S. T. Birchfield, "Qualitative vision-based mobile robot navigation," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 2686-2692, May 2006.
- R. Freire, T. Bastos-Filho, M. Sarcinelli-Filho, and R. Carelli, "A new mobile robot control approach via fusion of control signals," Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, IEEE Transaction on, vol. 34, no. 1, pp.419-429, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2003.817034
- Kawakami, Hiroshi, et al. "Dust detector for vacuum cleaner," U.S. Patent No. 5,163,202. 17 Nov. 1992.
- J. Ascenso, C. Brites, and F. Pereira, "Motion compensated refinement for low complexity pixel based distributed video coding," Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance, 2005. AVSS 2005. IEEE Conference on. IEEE, 2005.
- D.-H. Kim, B.-C. Min, and D.-H. Kim, "Development of a dust detection sensor system using infra-red sensors," Proc. of 2013 28th ICROS Annual Conference (in Korean) , pp. 270-271, May 2013.