- Volume 19 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
EA-based Tuning of a PID Controller with an Anti-windup Scheme
안티와인드업 기법을 가지는 PID 제어기의 EA 기반 동조
- Jin, Gang-Gyoo (Division of IT, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Park, Dong-Jin (Dept. of Control and Instrumentation Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2013.02.07
- Accepted : 2013.07.22
- Published : 2013.10.01
Many practical processes in industry have nonlinearities of some forms. One commonly encountered form is actuator saturation which can cause a detrimental effect known as integrator windup. Therefore, a strategy of attenuating the effects of integrator windup is required to guarantee the stability and performance of the overall control system. In this paper, optimal tuning of a PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller with an anti-windup scheme is presented to enhance the tracking performance of the PID control system in the presence of the actuator saturation. First, we investigate effective anti-windup schemes. Then, the parameters of both the PID controller and the anti-windup scheme are optimally tuned by an EA (Evolutionary Algorithm) such as the IAE (Integral of Absolute Error) is minimized. A set of simulation works on two high-order processes demonstrates the benefit of the proposed method.
- K. J. Astrom and T. Hagglund, PID Controllers: Theory, Design and Tuning, ISA Press, 1995.
- J. G. Ziegler and N. B. Nichols, "Optimum setting for PID controllers," Trans. ASME, vol. 64, pp. 759-768, 1942.
- M. Morari and E. Zafiriou, Robust Process Control, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1989.
- J. Cvejn, "PI/PID controller design for FOPDT plants based on the modulus optimum criterion," Proc. of the 18th International Conference on Process Control, Tatranska Lomnica, Slovakia, pp. 301-306, 2011.
- N. J. Krikelis, "State feedback integral control with 'intelligent' integrators," International Journal of Control, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 465-473, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207178008922868
- L. Rundqwist, "Anti-reset windup for PID controllers," Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Automatic Control, Lund Inst. of Technology, Sweden, 1991.
- A. S. Hodel and C. E. Hall, "Variable-structure PID control to prevent integrator windup," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 442-451, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.915424
- C. Bohn and D. P. Atherton, "An analysis package comparing PID anti-windup strategies," IEEE Systems Magazine, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 34-40, 1995.
- S. Tarbouriech and M. Turner, "Anti-windup design: an overview of some recent advances and open problems," Control Theory & Applications, IET, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1-19, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta:20070435
- G. Jin and T. Tran, "A nature-inspired evolutionary algorithm based on spiral movements," Proc. of the SICE Annual Conference 2010, Taiwan, pp. 1643-1647, 2010.
- C. Z. Janikow and Z. Michalewicz, "An experimental comparison of binary and floating point representations in genetic algorithms," Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA 1991), San Diego, USA, pp. 31-36, 1991.
- H. Lee and G. Jin, "On-line parameter estimation of continuous-time systems using a genetic algorithm," Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems Engineering (in Korean), vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 76-81, 1998.
- T. S. Kim, J. Yang, and O. Kwon, "A new anti-windup method using the linear quadratic observer," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 134-139, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2010.16.2.134
- T. S. Kim, and O. Kwon, "A new unified method for anti-windup and bumpless transfer," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 655-759, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2009.15.7.655
- Electromagnetic Strip Stabilization Control in a Continuous Galvanizing Line using Mixture of Gaussian Model Tuned Fractional PID Controller vol.21, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.15.0075