- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Design, Control and Localization of Underwater Mine Disposal Robots
수중 기뢰 제거 로봇의 설계, 제어 및 위치 추정
- Moon, Yong Seon (Dept. of Electronics Eng., Sunchon National University) ;
- Ko, Nak Yong (Dept. Control, Instrumentation, and Robot Eng., Chosun University) ;
- Sur, Joono (Naval Systems R&D Center, Samsung Thales Co. Ltd.)
- Received : 2013.05.15
- Accepted : 2013.06.30
- Published : 2013.09.01
This paper describes the design, control, and localization which comprise major aspects of the development of underwater robots for the mine disposal. The developed robots are called the Mine Killer (MK-1) and MK-2. MK-1 had been developed from September 2009 and was presented at the 9-th International Symposium at NPS Monterey CA, on May 17-21, 2010. The paper presents design of MK-1 and MK-2 in detail with comparison of these two versions of MKs. Then it derives hydrodynamic coefficients of MK-1. Based on the coefficients, the motion of MK-1 is simulated for straight line motion and circular motion. Also simulation results for PD control, LQ control and sliding mode control are presented. Finally, it shows a particle filter method for localization of MK-1 and MK-2 using simple range data from acoustic beacons.
- Y. S. Moon, N. Y. Ko, J. Sur, and Y. O. Lee, "Development of Torpedo Type Mine Disposal Robot RUCUR MK-1," Proc. 9th Int. Symp. Technology and the Mine Problem Series, Monterey, May 17-21, 2010.
- S. B. Williams, et al., "Monitoring of benthic reference sites: using an autonomous underwater vehicle," IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 73-84, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/MRA.2011.2181772
- F. Song, P. E. An, and A. Folleco, "Modeling and simulation of autonomous underwater vehicles: design and implementation," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 283-296, Apr. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2003.811893
- S. Sariel, T. Balch, and N. Erdogan, "Naval mine countermeasure missions," IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 45-52, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/M-RA.2007.914920
- W. Hornfeld, "Status of the atlas Elektronik's modular AUV family," Proc. 25th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, vol. 1, pp. 707-715, Hamburg, Germany, June, 2006.
- A. Lovik, A. R. Bakken, J. Dybedal, T. Knudsen, and J. Kjoll, "Underwater protection system," Proc. of OCEANS 2007, pp. 1-8, 2007.
- Lewis, Edward V., Principles of Naval Architecture, vol. 3, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, 1989.
- E. P. Holmes, "Prediction of hydrodynamic coefficients utilizing geometric considerations," Master's thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey CA, 1995.
- T. I. Fossen, Guidance and Control of Ocean Vehicles, John Wiley and Sons, 1995.
- Hydromechanics Subcommittee, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (U.S.), Nomenclature for Treating the Motion of a Submerged Body Through a Fluid, Technical and Research Bulletin, no. 1-5, 1950.
- N. Y. Ko, T. G. Kim, and Y. S. Moon, "Particle filter approach for localization of an underwater robot using time difference of arrival," Proc. of OCEANS 2012, May 2012, Yeosu Korea.
- N. Y. Ko, T. G. Kim, and S. W. Noh, "Monte carlo localization of underwater robot using internal and external information," Proc. 2011 IEEE Asia -Pacific Services Computing Conference, pp. 410-415, Jeju, Dec. 2011.
- D. Lee, H. W. Kim, and J. Lee, "Obstacle recognition and avoidance of the bio-mimetic underwater robot using IR and compass sensors," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 895-987, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.10.895
- H. Shim, B. Jun, and P. Lee, "Dynamic workspace control of underwater manipulator considering ROV motion," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 397-511, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2011.17.5.460