- Volume 19 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Broad-Band Underwater Acoustic Transducer for Doppler Velocity Log
도플러 속도계(DVL)를 위한 광대역 수중 음향 트랜스듀서
- Yun, Cheol-Ho (Robot Research Laboratory, Redone Technologies) ;
- Lee, Yeoung-Pil (Robot Research Laboratory, Redone Technologies) ;
- Ko, Nak Yong (Department of Electronic Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- Moon, Yong-Seon (Department of Electronic Engineering, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2013.05.15
- Accepted : 2013.06.30
- Published : 2013.09.01
A broad-band underwater acoustic transducer that uses thickness vibration mode, derived from a disk type piezoelectric ceramic, has been proposed and designed for DVL (Doppler Velocity Log). Three different types of acoustic transducer were evaluated with respect to the transmitting voltage response, receiving voltage sensitivity and bandwidth of the transducer. The effect of the acoustic impedance matching layer and backing layer is discussed. The results demonstrated that three matching layer with lossy backing layer is the best configuration for underwater transducer. The trial underwater acoustic transducer with three matching layer has a frequency bandwidth of 55%, maximum transmitting voltage response of 200 dB and a maximum receiving voltage sensitivity of -187.3 dB.
- G.-H. Lee and J. Kim, "Docking system for unmanned underwater vehicle using reduced signal strength indicator," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 830-836, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.9.830
- D. Park, K. Kwak, W. K. Chung, and J. Kim, "Infrastructure-based localization system using underwater wireless sensor network," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 699-705, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.8.699
- P. Boltryk, M. Hill, A. Keary, B. Phillips, H. Robinson, and P. White, "An ultrasonic transducer array for velocity measurment in underwater vehicles," Ultrasonics, vol. 42, pp. 473-478, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2003.12.036
- C. S. Desilets and J. D. Fraser, "The design of efficient broadband piezoelectric transducers," IEEE. Trans. Sonics and Ultrasonics, Su-25, no. 3, pp. 115-125, 1978.
- M. Morgado, P. Oliveira, and C. Silvestre, "A closed-loop design methodology for underwater transducers pulse-shaping," International Conf. Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 2014-2019, Aug. 2011.
- P. Atkins, A. Islas, and K. G. Foote, "Sonar target-phase measurement and effects of transducer-matching," Proc. of Acoustic 08 Paris, pp. 6385-6390, 2008.
- K.-W. Lee, H.-J. So, S.-M. Lim, and W.-H. Cho, "A study of a wideband acoustic transducer for underwater communication using 1-3 type piezoelectric transducer," Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, (in Korean), vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 65-71, 2008.
- J. Kocbach, "Finite element modeling of ultrasonic piezoelectric transducers," Thesis, University of Bergen, 2000.