- Volume 2 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Seed Treatment and Plug Production of Ornamental Grasses (Gramineae spp.)
화본과 관상용 그래스의 종자처리와 플러그 묘 생산
- Received : 2013.09.13
- Accepted : 2013.12.19
- Published : 2013.12.31
This research was carried out to establish a mass-production method and to develop ornamental Gramineae species as cash crops for famers as three species of ornamental grasses were used for seed treatment and plug production. Germination rates of Arundinella hirta were improved to 52.6% by soaking in 4% NaOCl for 60 min and 49.4% with 4% NaOH for 30 min. Germination rates of Panicum virgatum were 20.3% and 22.4% when treated with 4% NaOCl for 10 min and 2% NaOH for 60min treatment, respectively. Pennisetum alopecuroides showed germination rates higher than 98% with both 4% of NaOCl and NaOH for 60 min. When the same size of trays were used, Pennisetum showed faster plug formation in 21 and 30 days with 162 and 40 cell trays, respectively. Arundinella showed a similar trend with Pannicum in completing plug formation, those took 32, 41, and 44 days with the 162, 72, and 40 cell tray, respectively. Plug production was faster with smaller cells; however, total growing period was longer with larger cells in general.
Germination;Graminea;Ornamental grass;Plug production;Seed treatment
- AOSA. 1983. Seed Anal. 54:1-112.
- Beckman, J.J., Moser, L.E., Kubik, K. and Waller, S.S. 1993. Big bluestem and switchgrass establishment as influenced by seed priming. Agron. J. 85:199-202. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1993.00021962008500020007x
- Darke, R. 2006. The Encyclopedia of grasses for livable landscapes. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Jeon, B.S., Kang, J.H., Cho, S.C., Kwon, H.S. and Ryu, Y.S. 2001. Presown seed treatment to promote seed germination of zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica). Korean J. Plant. Res. 14(2):175-181. (In Korean)
- Joo, Y.K. 2013. Ornamental grasses: New plant materials which have high ornamental values. KGCM. 112:38-47. (In Korean)
- Kang, J.S., Son, B.K., Choi, Y.H., Lee, Y.J., Kim, Y.C., et al. 2008. Effect of seed priming on the enhancement of seed germination in cool season turfgrass. J. of Life Sci. 18(8):1096-1105. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.8.1096
- Kim, S.K., Jung, T.W., Lee, Y.Y., Song, D.Y., Yu, H.S., et al. 2009. Effect of nursery stage and plug cell size on seedling growth of waxy corn. Kor. J. Crop Sci. 54(4):407-415. (In Korean)
- Korea Expressway Corporation. 1995. Analysis of the method for the vegetating slope areas on highway. Report for special research project. (In Korean)
- Korea Forest Service. 2013. Korean plant names index. http://www.nature.go.kr (Accessed on Aug. 6, 2013).
- Lim, K.B., Son, K.C. and Chung, J.D. 2003. Influences of different day and night temperatures on growth of plug seedlings and flowering of Zinnia hybrida. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 44(1):92-96. (In Korean)
- Loch, D.S., Adkins, S.W., Heslehurst, M.R., Paterson, M.F. and Bellairs, S.M. 2004. Seed formation, development, and germination. In: Warm-season (C4) grasses. Agronomy Society of America press, Oregon, USA. pp. 95-144.
- Park, E.J., Kang, K.Y., Lee, S.R. and Jwa, S.H. 2008. The status of soil exposure and management practices for soil conservation in urban watersheds. Gyeongii Research Institute. Annual research report. pp. 3-6. (In Korean)
- Park, Y.S. and Lee, Y.S. 2007. Environmental restoration and ecological revegetation on the destructive slope areas. J. Korean Geo-Environmental Soc. 8(2):12-17. (In Korean)
- Sautter, E.H. 1962. Germination of switchgrass. J. Range Mgt. 15:108-109. https://doi.org/10.2307/3894874
- Bae, D.H., Jung, I.W. and Han, H.J. 2007. Climate change impact assessment and adaptation strategy on water resource in the Han River basin. Gyeongii Research Institute. The Gyeongii Forum 9(4):95-115. (In Korean)
- Jang, Y.A., Lee, H.C., Lee, S.K. and Um, Y.C. 2005. Effects of temperature and watering on growth of vegetable plug seedlings during the delay of transplanting. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 23(suppl. II):32-32. (In Korean)
- Lee, J.K. and Bransby, D. 2008. Biofuel industry and recent research in USA. J. Kor. Grass Forage Sci. 28(2):129-138. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2008.28.2.129
- Spring Green-up and Winter Leaf Discoloration of Three Ornamental Grasses (Gramineae spp.) vol.4, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5660/WTS.2015.4.1.49