- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
National Genetic Evaluation (System) of Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle)
- Park, B. (National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Choi, T. (National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Kim, S. (National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Oh, S.H. (North Carolina A&T State University)
- Received : 2012.08.14
- Accepted : 2012.10.04
- Published : 2013.02.01
Hanwoo (Also known as Korean native cattle; Bos taurus coreanae) have been used for transportation and farming for a long time in South Korea. It has been about 30 yrs since Hanwoo improvement began in earnest as beef cattle for meat yield. The purpose of this study was to determine the trend of improvement as well as to estimate genetic parameters of the traits being used for seedstock selection based on the data collected from the past. Hanwoo proven bulls in South Korea are currently selected through performance and progeny tests. National Hanwoo genetic evaluations are implemented with yearling weight (YW), carcass weight (CW), eye muscle area (EMA), backfat thickness (BF) and marbling score (MS). Yearling weights and MS are used for selecting young bulls, and EMA, BF, and MS are used for selecting proven bulls. One individual per testing room was used for performance tests, and five individuals per room for progeny tests. Individuals tested were not allowed to graze pasture, but there was enough space for them to move around in the testing room. Feeds including roughages and minerals were fed ad libitum, and concentrates were provided at the rate of about 1.8% of individual weight. Overall means of the traits were
- McParland, S., J. F. Kearney, M. Rath and D. P. Berry. 2007. Inbreeding trends and pedigree analysis of Irish dairy and beef cattle populations. J. Anim. Sci. 85:322-331. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-367
- Oikawa, T., T. Sanehira, K. Sato, Y. Mizoguchi, H. Yamamoto and M. Baba. 2000. Genetic parameters for growth and carcass traits of Japanese Black (Wagyu) cattle. Anim. Sci. 71:59-64.
- SAS 9.02. 2010. SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- Son, S. K., H. S. Choi, J. Y. Song, D. H. Baik and J. S. Na. 1997. Effects of environmental factors on body weights of Korean native cattle in purebreeding regions. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 39:335-344.
- Yang, Y. H. and B. K. Ohh. 1990. Studies on estimation of breeding value for body weights, chest girth, and shank circumference in Korean native cattle (Hanwoo). Korean J. Anim. Sci. 32:740-747.
- Yoon, H. B., S. D. Kim, S. H. Na, U. M. Chang, H. K. Lee, G. J. Jeon and D. H. Lee. 2002. Estimation of genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hanwoo steer. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 44:383-390. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.4.383
- Cleveland, M. A., H. D. Blackburn, R. M. Enns and D. J. Garrick. 2005. Changes in inbreeding of U.S. Herefords during the twentieth century. J. Anim. Sci. 83:992-1001.
- Dang, C. G., J. J. Lee and N. S. Kim. 2011. Estimation of inbreeding coefficients and effective population size in breeding bulls of Hanwoo (Korean cattle). J. Anim. Sci. Tech. 53:297-302. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.4.297
- Gilmour, A. R., B. R. Cullis, S. J. Welham and R. Thompson. 1999. ASREML Reference Manual. NSW Agriculture Biometric Bulletin No 3. NSW Agriculture, Locked Bag 21, Orange, NSW, 2800, Australia, p. 210.
- Korean standard feed table. 1988. Rural Development Administration.
- Livestock Products Grading Guideline. 2011. Minister for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (South Korea).
- MacNeil, M. D. 2003. Genetic evaluation of an index of birth weight and yearling weight to improve efficiency of beef production. J. Anim. Sci. 81:2425-2433.
- MacNeil, M. D., J. J. Urick and G. Decoudu. 2000. Characteristics of Line 1 Hereford females resulting from selection by independent culling levels for below-average birth weight and high yearling weight or by mass selection for high yearling weight. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2292-2298.
- Study on Growth Curves of Longissimus dorsi Muscle Area, Backfat Thickness and Body Conformation for Hanwoo (Korean Native) Cows vol.27, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13797
- Genetic Parameter Estimates of Carcass Traits under National Scale Breeding Scheme for Beef Cattle vol.29, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0696
- Accuracy of genomic breeding value prediction for intramuscular fat using different genomic relationship matrices in Hanwoo (Korean cattle) vol.30, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0983
- Genome-wide linkage disequilibrium and past effective population size in three Korean cattle breeds vol.48, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/age.12488
- Comparison of alternative approaches to single-trait genomic prediction using genotyped and non-genotyped Hanwoo beef cattle vol.49, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12711-016-0279-9
- Genome–wide association study of carcass weight in commercial Hanwoo cattle vol.31, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0276