- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Antiasthmatic effects on Pinellia ternate Breitenbach(PTB) water extracts against airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness induced by diesel exhaust particles with ovalbumin sensitization in BALB/c mice
생쥐에서 ovalbumin과 디젤배기가스 입자로 유도된 기도염증과 기도 과민성에 대한 반하 물 추출물의 항천식 효과
- Received : 2012.12.10
- Accepted : 2013.01.11
- Published : 2013.01.30
Objectives : Asthma is a chronic, complex respiratory disease, caused by airway obstruction, airway eosinophilic inflammation(AEI), and airway hyperresponsiveness(AHR). This study was conducted to determine whether oral administration of crude water extracts of Pinellia ternate Breitenbach(PTB) has an antiasthmatic potential in the treatment of asthma in mice. Methods : Asthmatic AEI and AHR were induced by systemic sensitization to ovalbumin(OVA) by intratracheal instillation with 0.1 mg/mL suspension of diesel exhaust particles(DEP) once a week for 10 weeks in BALB/c mice. Crude PTB water extracts(50 mg/kg and 200 mg/kg) were orally administered 5 times a week for 10 weeks. Cyclosporin(10 mg/kg) was administrered the same manner as a positive control. Results : Long-term treatment with crude PTB water extracts suppressed the infiltration of inflammatory cells, including eosinophils, into airways from blood. It also reduced asthmatic AEI and AHR by attenuating the increase in the levels of cytokines such as interleukin(IL)-4, IL-5 and IL-13 in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid(BALF), as well as the levels of histamine and OVA-specific IgE in blood. However, the effect of crude PTB water extracts(200 mg/kg) was not likely to be stronger than that of cyclosporin(10 mg/kg). Conclusion : These results suggest that crude PTB water extracts have inhibitory effects on AEI and AHR in a mouse model of asthma and may act as a potential Th2 cytokine antagonist, and have a therapeutic effect on allergic asthma.
Pinellia ternate Breitenbach water extracts;Diesel exhaust particles;Ovalbumin;Airway inflammation;Airway hyperresponsiveness
- Inoue KI, Koike E, Yanagisawa R, Takano H. Effects of pulmonary exposure to diesel exhaust particles on extrathoracic CD4 polarization in asthmatic mice. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2009 ; 31(1) : 71-4. https://doi.org/10.1080/08923970802355835
- Ris C. US EPA health assessment for diesel engine exhaust : a review. Inhal Toxicol. 2007 ; 19(s1) : 229-39. https://doi.org/10.1080/08958370701497960
- Liu J, Ballaney M, Alalem U, Quan C, Jin X, Perera F, Chen LC, Miller RL. Combined inhaled diesel exhaust particles and allergen exposure alter methylation of T healper genes and IgE production in vivo. Toxicol Sci. 2008 ; 102(1) : 76-81. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfm290
- Gowdy K, Krantz QT, Daniels M, Linak WP, Jaspers I, Gilmour MI. Modulation of pulmonary inflammatory responses and antimicrobial defenses in mice exposed to diesel exhaust. Toxicol Applied Pharmacol. 2008 ; 229(3) : 310-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2008.01.040
- Lim HB, Lee DW. Diesel exhaust particles and airway inflammation: effect of nitric oxide synthase inhibitors. J Kor Soc Atmos Environ. 2002 ; 18(E2) : 121-8.
- Lim HB, Ichinose T, Miyabara Y, Takano H, Kumagai Y, Shimojyo N, Sagai M. Involvement of superoxide and nitric oxide on airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness induced by diesel exhaust particles in mice. Free Rad Biol Med. 1998 ; 25(6) : 635-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00073-2
- Wang SD, Lin LJ, Chen CL, Lee SC, Lin CC, Wang JY, Kao ST. Xiao-Qing-Long-Tang attenuates allergic airway inflammation and remodeling in repetitive Dermatogoides pteronyssinus challenged chronic asthmatic mice model. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 ; 142(2) : 531-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.05.033
- Chen P, Li C, Liang S, Song G, Sun Y, Shi Y, Xu S, Zhang J, Sheng S, Yang Y, Li M. Characterization and quantification of eight water-soluble constituents in tubes of Pinellia ternate and in tea granules from the Chinese multiherb remedy Xiaochaihu-tang. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2006 ; 843(2) : 183-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2006.05.028
- Gao WP, Zeng X and Chen JS. Determination and comparison of effective components in polyploid Pinellia ternate and wild Pinellia ternate. Chin Pharma J. 2011 ; 46 : 1625-9
- Nagai T, Arai Y, Emori M, Nunome SY, Yabe T, Takeda T, Yamada H. Anti-allergic activity of a Kampo(Japanese herbal) medicine "Sho-seiryu-to(Xiao-Qing-Long-Tang)" on airway inflammation in a mouse model. Int Immunopharmacol. 2004 ; 4(10-11) : 1353-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2004.05.021
- Cho DS, Shin DS, Paik DH, Yoon DY, Shin DM. Tyrosinase inhibitory effect of 3,4-dihydroxybenz aldehyde isolated from Pinellia ternate. Kor J Herbology. 2006 ; 21(2) : 1-7.
- Kim SY, Lm SH, Cho SI, Choi CW, Kim KO. Effects of Pinellia Rhizoma extract on sociopsychological stress. J Orient Neuropsychiatry. 2009 ; 20(3) : 35-47
- Seo BI. A clinical study of Banhabaechulcheonmatang on a patient with headache due to retention of phlegm. Kor J Herbology. 2007 ; 22(2) : 79-82.
- Kim SY, Won HY, Choi CW, Kim KS, Kim KO, Lee DW. The effcts of Banhachulchunma-Tang on dementia induced by focal brain ischemic injury in rats. J Orient Neuropsychiatry. 2006 ; 17(2) : 61-73.
- Kim YB, Chai HY, Lee KC, Yun YW, Kim DJ, Nam SY, Ro JS, Hwang BY, Kang HG. Effect on Pinellia ternata extract on reproduction of female rats. Kor J Lab animal Sci. 2005 ; 21(1) : 39-48.
- Kwon GR, Moon IS, Lee WC. Neuroprotective effects of Pinelliae Rhizoma water-extract by suppression of reactive oxygen species and mitochondrial membrane potential loss in a hypoxic model of cultures rat cortical cells. J Life Sci. 2009 ; 19(5) : 598-606 https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.5.598
- Hong JH, Seo JC, Jung TY and Han SW. Effect of Pinelliae Rhizoma herbal acupuncture on the release of thymus and activation-regulated chemokine in human bronchial cell. J Kor Acupunc Mixibus Soc. 2005 ; 22(1) : 155-64.
- Lee YC. A therapeutic effect of Pinelliae ternata via the increase of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells and suppression of CD3+CCR3+ cellular infiltration during allergic airway inflammation. Kor J Herbology. 2009 ; 24(1) : 73-8.
- Sagai M, Saito H, Ichinose T, Kodama M, Mori Y. Biological effects of diesel exhaust particles. I. In Vitro production od superoxide and in vivo toxicity in mouse. Free Radic Biol Med. 1993 ; 14(1) : 37-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(93)90507-Q
- Kim SH, Kim BG, Lee YC. Antiasthmatic effects on hesperidin, a potential Th2 cytokine antagonist, in a mouse model of allergic asthma. Mediators Inflamm. 2011 ; 2011 : ID 485402, 12 pages.
- Finotto S, De Sanctis GT, Lehr HA, Herz U, Buerke M, Schipp M, Bartsch B, Atreya R, Schmitt E, Galle PR, Renz H, Neurath MF. Treatment of allergic airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness by antisense-induced local blockade of GATA-3 expression. J Exp Med. 2001 ; 193(11) : 1247-60. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.193.11.1247
- Shen J, Oraka E. Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use among children with current asthma. Prev Med. 2012 ; 54(1) : 27-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2011.10.007
- Platts-Mills TA, Woodfolk JA. Allergens and their role in the allergic immune response. Immunol Rev. 2011 ; 242(1) : 51-68. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-065X.2011.01021.x
- Cha JT, Lee JC, Lee YC. Comparative study on anti-asthmatic activities of Patrinia scabiosaefolia Fischer ex Link and Patrinia villosa Jussieu in a mouse model of asthma. Kor J Herbology. 2012 ; 27(3) : 75-82 https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2012.27.3.75
- Jung JK, Park YK. Effects of Saposhnikoviae Radix on allergic responses in OVA-induced allergic rhinitis mice. Kor J Herbology. 2012 ; 27(5) : 85-91. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2012.27.5.85
- Wang SD, Lin LJ, Chen CL, Lee SC, Lin CC, Wang JY, Kao ST. Xiao-Qing-Long-Tang attenuates allergic airway inflammation and modeling in repetitive Dermatogoides pteronyssinus challenged chronic asthmatic mice model. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 ; 142(2) : 531-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.05.033
- Lim HB, Kim SH. Antiasthmatic effects on Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi extracts against airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness induced by diesel exhaust particles with ovalbumin sensitization. Kor J Med Crop Sci. 2012 ; 20(2) : 129-35. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2012.20.2.129
- Kuhl K, Hananial NA. Targeting IgE in asthma. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2012 ; 18(1) : 1-5 https://doi.org/10.1097/MCP.0b013e32834deebb
- Peden D, Reed CE. Environmental and occupational allergies. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010 ; 125(2) : S150-S160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2009.10.073
- Kim JY, Natarajan S, Bae HS, Jung SK, Cruikshank W, Remick DG. Herbal medicine treatment reduced inflammation in a murine model of cockroach allergen-induced asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2011 ; 107(2) : 154-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anai.2011.05.001
- Irifune K, Hamada H, Ito R, Katayama H, Watanabe A, Kato A, Miyoshi S, Hamaguchi N, Toyozawa R, Hamaguchi S, Abe M, Nishimura K, Higaki J. Antitussive effect of bakumonto a fixed kampo(six herbal components) for treatment of post-infectious prolonged cough : Controlled clinical pilot study with 19 patients. Phytomedicine. 2011 ; 18(8-9) : 630-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2011.02.017
- Nagai T, Nakao M, Shimizu Y, Kodera Y, Ohishi M, Maeda T, Yamada H. Proteomic analysis of anti-inflammatory effects of a Kampo(Japanese herbal) medicine "Shoseiryuto(Xiao-Qing-Long- Tang)" on airway inflammation in a mouse model. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2011 ; 2011 : ID 604196, 13 pages.