- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Fandom as a Prosumer : Study on Information Behavior of Fandom
프로슈머로서의 팬덤: 팬덤의 정보행동에 관한 연구
- Lee, So Young (Hoseo Graduate School of Venture) ;
- Kim, Hyang Mi (kt Economics & Management Research Lab.) ;
- Chu, Kyounghee (Institute for Business Research & Education, Korea University) ;
- Seo, Jungchi (Korea University Business School)
- Received : 2013.11.04
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study posits the activities of the fandom as information behavior: information producing, information diffusion, information sharing. The authors identify the underlying motivation and needs which lead fandom to these behavior on the basis of contents theory. In particular, the manner in which the those needs influence the information behavior of fandom is explored. The data used in this study came from various Fan Caf
Fandom;Need to Belong;Need for Approval;Need for Uniqueness;Reference group compliance;Sensation Seeking
Supported by : 호서대학교
- Chu Yon Ha, Ae Ran Kho, Mi Sil Chung (2005), "Female Adolescents' Clothing Behavior and Hair Style Attitude as Related to Sensation Seeking and Body Image" Journal of Korean Society of Costumes, 29(5), 715-726.
- Gallaway, G. and K. Lopez (1999), "Sensation Seeking and Attitudes to Aspects of National Parks: A Preliminary Empirical Investigation," Tourism Management, 20(6), 665-671. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(99)00031-X
- Leary, T. (1957), Interpersonal Diagnosis of Personality. New York: Ronald Press Co.
- Leary, M. R., K. M. Kelly, and L. S. Schreindorfer (2001), "Individual Differences in the Need to Belong," unpublished manuscript, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Rudolph, K. D, M. S. Caldwell, and C. S. Conley (2005), "Need for Approval and Children's Well-Being," Child Development, 76(2), 309-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2005.00847_a.x
- Ji Hyoung Kim, Kyoung Ja Park (2010), "The Influence of the Need for Peer Approval upon Levels of Children's Depression and Social Competence: Self-esteem as a Mediator," Child Studies in Diverse Contexts, 31 (1), 83-99.
- Wan Suk Gim, Yun Jae Rhu (2003), "Korean version of Consumers' Need for Uniqueness Scale(K-CNFU): Development and validation", Journal of Korean Society of Psychology: Consumer, Advertising , 4(1), pp.79-101.
- Harrington, C. L. and D. D. Bielby (1995), Soap fans: Pursuing pleasure and making meaning in everyday life. Philadelphia, PA: Temple Univ. Press.
- Baym, N. K. (2000), Tune in, Log on: Soaps, Fandom and Online Community, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Hills, M. (2002), Fan Cultures, London, New York: Routledge.
- Bae, Ji Sook (2010), "Fandom Turns into Philanthropy," Korea Times.
- Mathwick, C., C. Wiertz, and K. de Ruyter (2008) ''Social Capital Production in a Virtual P3 Community," Journal of Consumer Research, 34(6), 832-849. https://doi.org/10.1086/523291
- Muniz, A. M. Jr. and T. C. O''Guinn (2001) "Brand Community," Journal of Consumer Research, 27(4), 412-32. https://doi.org/10.1086/319618
- Pongsakornrungsilp, S. P. and J. E. Schroeder (2011), "Understanding Value Co-Creation in a Co-Consuming Brand Community," Marketing Theory, 11(3), 303-324. https://doi.org/10.1177/1470593111408178
- Biebly, D., L. Harrington, and W. Biebly (1999), "Whose Stories are They? Fans' Engagement with Soap Opera Narratives in Three Sites of Fan Activity," Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media," 43(1), 35-51. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838159909364473
- Hyun-Jung Kim and Yong-Jin Won (2002), "Evolution of Fandom and it's Politics," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, 46(2), 253-278.
- Clerc, S. J. (1996), DDEB, GATB, MPPB, and Ratboy: The X Files Media Fandom, Online and Off. in David Lavery, Angela Hague and Marla Cartwright (ed.), Deny All Knowledge: Reading The X File, (pp. 35-51), Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse University Press.
- Wakefield, S. R. (2001), "An Electronic Community of Female Fans of the X-Files," Journal of Popular FIlm and Television, 29(3), 130-137. https://doi.org/10.1080/01956050109601018
- Dijkerman, D. (2006), Pyramid of User Generated Content Use, Something New.
- Jong Youn Rha (2010), "Consumers' Usage of Online Social Networks: Application of Use-Diffusion Model" Journal of Consumer Studies, 21(2), 443-472.
- Amstrong, A. and H. Hagel (1996), "The Real Value of Online Communities," Harvard Business Review, Fall, 35-42.
- Young Bae (2005), "Social Relations in Cyberspace - Focused on the Making and Maintenance of Relation with Personal Media," Korean Journal of Sociology, 39(5), 55-83.
- Leary, M. R. and D. L. Downs (1995), Interpersonal Functions of the Self-Esteem Motive: The Self-Esteem System as a Sociometer, In Kernis, M. H. (Ed.), Efficacy, Agency, and Self-Esteem (123-144), NY: Plenum Press.
- Rudich, E. A., C. Sedikides, and A. P. Gregg (2007), "Self-Esteem Moderates Preferences for Accepting Versus Rejecting Interaction Patterns," European Journal of Social Psychology, 37(5), 955-967. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejsp.408
- Rogers, C. R. (1951), Client-centered therapy. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Crowne, D. P. (1979), "The Experimental Study of Personality, Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Snyder, C. R., and H. L. Fromkin (1977), "Abnormality as a Positive Characteristics: the Development and Validaation of a Scale Measuring Need for Uniqueness," Journal of Abnorman Psychology," 86(5), 518-527. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.86.5.518
- Tian, K. T., W. O. Bearden, and G. L. Hunter (2001), "Consumers' Need for Uniqueness: Scale Development and Validation," Journal of Consuemr Research, 28(Jun), 50-66. https://doi.org/10.1086/321947
- Grubb, E. L., and H. L. Grathwohl (1967), "Consumer Self-Concept, Symbolism, and Market Behavior: A Theoretical Approach," Journal of Marketing, 31(Oct), 22-27.
- 김완석, 김영재 (2005), "Consumers' Need For Uniqueness and consumption: Interactions with purchase purpose and style of product," Korean Journal of Psychology: Consumer, Advertising, 6(2), 79-101.
- Kron, J. (1983), Home-Psych: The Social Psychology of Home and Decoration, NY: Clarkson N. Potter, Inc.
- Heckert, D. M. (1989), "The Relativity of Positive Deviance: The Case of the French Impressionists," Deviant Behavior, 10(Spr), 131-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/01639625.1989.9967806
- Asch, S. E. (1951), "Effect of Group Pressure on the Modification and Distortion of Judgments," in H. Guetzkow, ed., Groups, Leadership, and Men, Pittsburg, Pa.: Carnegie Press.
- Blonski, M. (1999), "Social Learning with Case-Based Decisions," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 38(1), 59-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-2681(98)00122-X
- Wasserman, S. and K. Faust (1994), Social Network Analysis, Cambridge University Press.
- Bearden, W. O., R. G. Netemeyer, and E. Jesse (1989), "Measurement of onsumer Susceptibility to Interpersonal Influence," Journal of Consumer Research, 2, 206-215.
- Moschis, G. P. (1985), "The Role of Family Communication in Consumer Socialization of Children and Adolescents," Journal of Consumer Research, 11(4), 898-913. https://doi.org/10.1086/209025
- Forsyth, D. R. (1980), "A Taxonomy of Ethical Ideologies," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39, 175-184. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- Arnett, J. (1994), "Sensation Seeling: A New Conceptualization and New Scale," Personality and Individual Differences, 16, 289-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(94)90165-1
- Zuckerman, M. (1979), Sensation Seeking: Beyond the Optimal Level of Arousal, Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Zuckerman, M. (1994), Behavioral Expressions and BioSocial Bases of Sensation Seeking, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Childers, T. L and A. R Rao (1992), "The Influence of Familial and Peer-Based Reference Groups on Consumer Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, 19(2), 198-211. https://doi.org/10.1086/209296
- Moon Tae Kim, Jong Ho Lee (2007), "Effects of Consumer Innovativeness and Reference Group Compliance on Use-Diffusion and Brand Re-adoption of a Convergence Product,"Korean Jouranl of Industrial Economy, 20(3), 1253-78.
- Hoyle, R. H., M. T Stephenson, P. Palmgreen, E. P. Lorch, and R. L. Donohew (2002), "Reliability and Validity of a Brief Measure of Sensation Seeking," Personality and Individual Differences, 32 (3), 401-14 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(01)00032-0
- Yoo Sik Park, Hee Nam Chae (2011), "The Influences of Emotional Intelligence in Customer Innovativeness Focused on "Sensation Seeking Tendency" and "Need for Intelligence," Studies on Corporation Management, 39(0), 55-81.
- A Young Choi, Jong Youn Rha (2010), "Consumers' Participation in Online Community: A Netnography Approach" Journal of Consumer Studies, 21(1), 1-31.
- O'Reilly C. A. and J. Chatman (1986), "Organizational Commitment and Psychological Attachment: The Effects of Compliance, Identification, and Internalization on Pro-social Behavior," Journal of Applied Psychology, 71, 492-499. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.3.492
- Fromkin, H. L. (1970), "Effects of Experimentally Aroused Feelings of Indistinctiveness upon Valuation of Scarce and Novel Experience," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 16(Nov), 521-529. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0030059
- Ziller, R. C. (1964), "Individual and Scialization: A Theory of Assimilation in Large Organizations," Human Relations, 17(4), 341-360. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872676401700403
- Lang, A. Y. Chung, S. Lee, N. Schwartz, and M. Shin (2005), "It's an Arousing Fast-paced Kind of World: The Effects of Age and Sensation Seeling on the Information Processing of Substance-Abuse PSAs," Media Psychology, 7(4), 421-454. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532785XMEP0704_6
- Hae Yeon Wang, Yong Sook Kim (2005), ",Chinese New Generation Women's Clothing Exploratory Behavior according to their Sensitivity Pursuit Propensity " Journal of Korean Society of Costumes, 55(3), 81-93.
- Jae Hwi Kim, G. Ho Kim (2002), "A Study of Internet Delinquency and Motivation," Journal of Korean Society of Psychology, 3(2), 91-110.
- Gangadharbatla, H. (2008), "Facebook Me: Collective Self-Esteem, Need to Belong, and Internet Self-Efficacy as Predictors of the Igeneration's Attitudes toward Social Networking Sites," Journal of Interactive Advertising, 8(2), 5-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/15252019.2008.10722138
- Stephenson, M. T., R. H. Hoyle, P. Palmgreen, and M. D. Slater (2003), "Brief Measures of Sensation Seeking for Screening and Large-Scale Surveys," Drug and alcohol dependence, 72 (3), 279-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2003.08.003
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978), Psychometric Theory, New York: McGraw-Hills.
- Deci, E. L. and R. M. Ryan (2000), "The 'What' and 'Why' of Goal Pursuits: Human Needs and the Self-Determination of Behavior," Psychological Inquiry,11, 319-338. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1104_03