- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Solutions to overcome the obstacles of Digital comics contents industry development
디지털만화산업 발전의 장애요인과 활성화방안 연구
- Kim, Soo-Young (Sigong Book Group Paprikamedia Inc.) ;
- Ha, Kyu-Soo (Hoseo Graduate School of Venture)
- Received : 2013.10.18
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study aims to diagnose the present condition of the Digital comics industry, including the "webtoon", which is receiving attention as the new Korean wave (Hallyu) cultural content, and explore ways to vitalize these contents. Considering the fact that the distribution rate of smart devices in Korea is the highest in the world as of June 2013, and that comics as contents have been known to show the easiest and fastest adaptation to changes in the media, the Digital comics industry is certainly an area with high expected growth, but its actual size of the industry shows a very low growth rate compared to other digital contents. This study analyzes the present condition of the Digital comics industry through theoretical and precedent study, and deducts 7 major factors that inhibit the growth of Digital comics industry by summing up the industry structure through making surveys of major businesses in the industry. Further, problems and possible solutions of the digital comics industry are discussed through in-depth interviews with total 10 digital comics industry experts. Building a ecosystem based charged service, realizing a total management system, government support and improvements on restrictions are discussed as solutions to a sustained growth of the Digital comics industry.
Comics;Digital Comics Industry;Digital Contents;webtoon;Comics management
- S. J. Lim, Y. H. Ryu, Four strategic keywords to win unlimited competition, Digieco, 2012
- Milton Griepp, N-screen comic contents distribution strategy conference proceedings, 2011
- Y. S. Cho, Korea cartoon creation white paper, Comics promotional law promotion committee, 2011
- Korea Creative Content Agency, 2012 Contents industry statistics, Part4 publication industry, contents industry portal, 2013
- Korea Creative Content Agency, 2012 Contents industry statistics, Part4 cartoon industry, contents industry portal, 2013
- Korea Creative Content Agency, Cartoon industry white paper 2011, 2012
- J. S. Noh, Cartoonomics strategy of Korea cartoon industry, Cartoon exhibition and cartoonomics, bookkorea, pp. 159-184, 2009.
- J. M. Koh, Culture contents business strategy, communicationbooks, 2007.
- http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/ 2013.05.15
- S. H. Park, The world of comics cartoon, Salim, 2005.
- C. J, A study of developmental models of feature-length brand webtoons, mater's thesis, Sejong University, 2011.
- S. S. Park, Case of cartoon contents planning, Cartoon contents and media mix, bookkorea, pp. 61-76, 2007.
- C. W. Han, Cultural politics and industry of cartoon, communicationbooks, 2013
- S. J. Han, Overflow cartoon, cartoonist who can't lean, become hollow place of public opinion, Cartoon exhibition and cartoonomics, bookkorea, pp. 89-106, 2009.
- A Study on the Space Planning of Culture Contents Exhibition Hall (Based on case study) vol.12, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.435