- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting the Nursing Intention of Nurses for AIDS Patients
AIDS 환자 간호의도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Yang, Seung Ae (College of Nursing, Sungshin University)
- 양승애 (성신여자대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2013.12.01
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
Purpose : This study aimed to examine the causal relationships among knowledge, stigma prejudice, attitude, social interaction which are factors affecting the Nursing Intention for AIDS patients. Method : Data were collected from June 20 to August 10, 2012, 268 nurses in general hospital located in and outside of Seoul, who were selected using convenience sampling. For hypothesis testing, the collected data were analyzed using AMOS 19. Results : Analysis of the path coefficients in this study showed that 41% of the variation in Nursing Intention could be explained by variation in the model. Social Interaction and Attitude directly affected the Nursing Intention. Social Interaction was found to be the most important predictive factor to explain Nursing Intention. Conclusion : This study found that there are need to increase possibility of social interaction and make positive changes in attitude toward AIDS patient care in order to improve Nursing Intention.
- Byeon, Y.S., Lee, K.H.,"The life change events of patients with AIDS in Korea", Journal of Qualitative Research, vol.7, no.2,pp. 16-26, 2006
- Han, J.S., Cho,H., Kim,Y.M., Kim, O.H. "Nurses' Knowledge, Attitudes and Nursing Intention toward AIDS and Chronic Hepatitis B", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol.21, no.3, pp. 201-208, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.201
- Held, S.L. "The Effect of an AIDS Education Program on the knowledge and Attitudes of a Physical Therapy Class", Physical Therapy, vol.73, no.3, pp. 156-164, 1993 https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/73.3.156
- Manganye, B.S., Maluleke, T.X., Lebese, R. T.,"Professional nurses'view regarding stigma and discrimination in the care of HIV and AIDS patients in rural hospitals of the Limpopo province, South Africa ", African Journal of AIDS Research, vol.12, no.1,pp. 33-40, 2013 https://doi.org/10.2989/16085906.2013.815411
- Mill, J., Harrowing, J., Rae,T., Richter, S., Minnie, K., Mbalinda, S. & Hepburn-Brown, C., "Stigma inAIDS Nursing Care in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean", Qualitative Health Research. vol.23, no.8,pp.1066-78, 2013 https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732313494019
- Kemppainen, J., St. Lawrence, J.S., Irizarry, A., Weidema, D., Benne, C., Fredericks, C., "Nurses' willingness to perform AIDS patient care", The Journal of continuing Education in Nursing, vol.23,pp. 11-117, 1992.
- Kline, R.X., Principals and practice of structural equation modeling (2nd ed.), Guilford Press, New York, 2005
- Lee, J.K., "A Study for Investigating Predictors of AIDS and Patients Care Intention among Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol.31, no.2,pp. 292-303, 2001. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2001.31.2.292
- Lee, J.S., Park, S.K, HIV/AIDS knowledge, attitudes, belief, and behaviors. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Seoul: Korea, 2007.
- Loehlin, J. C., Latent variable models: An introduction to factor, path, and structural analysis, Hilsdale, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1997.
- Newman, C., DuRant, R.H., Ashworth, C.S.,Gaillard, G. "An evaluation of school based AIDS/HIV education program for young adolescents", AIDS Education & Prevention, vol.5, no.4,pp. 327-339, 1993.
- Ross, M.W.,Caudle,C.,Taylor, J. "Relationship of AIDS education and knowledge to AIDS- related social skill in adolescents", The Journal of school health,vol.61, no.8,pp. 351-354, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.1991.tb07415.x
- Shin, Y.H., Hong, Y.H., "College students' knowledge and Attitudes toward AIDS in Pusan and Ulsan areas", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol.26, no.1,pp. 33-42, 1996.
- Sohn, A.R., Moon, J.S., Shin, S.B. Chun, S.S., Kim, S.Y.," Discriminatory Attitudes towards Person with HIV/AIDS (PWHAs) among Adolescents in Seoul, Korea"Health and Social Science, vol.23, pp. 31-56, 2008.
- Son, J.T., Lee, E.J., Kim, H.M.," Effect of Discussion Centered AIDS Education on Knowledge, Prejudice, Social Interaction, and Intention for Prevention in College Students ", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing , vol.14,no.4, pp. 515-523, 2007.
- Suh, U.H., Oh, H.Y., "Knowledge, perception, safety clinate, and compliance with hospital infection standard precautions among hospital nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol.16, no.1,pp. 61-70, 2010.
- Suominen, Tarja, KaranJa-Pernu, Caroline, Kylama, Jari, Houtsonen, Jarmo,Valimaki, Maritta, "Knoweldge, Attitudes and Risk Behavior Related to HIV and AIDS: The Case of International Students in a Finnish University", Journal of Community Health, vol.36,pp. 910-918, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-010-9353-3
- Tyer-Viola, L.A., "Obstetric Nurses'Attitude and Nursing Care Intentions Regarding Care of HIV-Positive Pregnant Women", Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing ,vol.36, no.5, pp.398-409, 2007 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2007.00172.x
- Yoo, H.R.,"Attitude, Subjective Norm, and Belief of Korean Nursing Students as Predictors of Intentions to care for HIV Disease Patients: a Test of Theory of Reasoned Action", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol.27, no.3,pp.660-672, 1997.
- Yun, M.J., The study of HIV/AIDS stigma influencing prevention treatment interaction with people living with HIV/AIDS, Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2006.
- Hu, L. T., Bentler, P.M.,"Cutoff criteria for fit indices in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives", Structural Equation Modeling, vol.6, pp. 1-55, 1999 https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Kelly, J.A., Lawrence. J.S., Hood, H,V., Smith. S.,Cook. D.J., "Nurses' Attitudes toward AIDS", The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. vol.19, no.2,pp. 78-83, 1998
- Oh, H.S., Kang, Y.S.," Survey on Nurses's Knowledge and Attitude Regarding AIDS", Journal of Korean Public Health Association, vol.21, no.2,pp. 27-41, 1995.
- Son, J.T., Suh, S.R.,Cho, E.J.,"A Descriptive Survey of University Students's Prejudice toward AIDS, Social Interaction with AIDS Patients, Intention for AIDS Prevention, and Knowledge", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol.10, no.3, pp. 383-391, 2003.
- Yoo, M.H., A study on the effect of HIV/AIDS related stigma on the social adjustment of people living with HIV/AIDS, Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, 2002.