- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
ADHD Symptoms, Self-Esteem, and Depression of Juvenile Offenders
비행청소년의 ADHD 증상, 자아존중감 및 우울
- Cho, Youngsoon (Training School of Daesan) ;
- Gang, Moonhee (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Kyongok (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2013.12.01
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study aimed to identify factors that influence depression in juvenile offenders. A cross-sectional study design was used. The participants were 275 juvenile offenders from D city. The collected data were analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and multiple regression with the SPSS/WIN 20.0 program. Of the participants, 32.4% and 52.0% were in the clinical group for ADHD and depression, respectively. ADHD symptoms and self-esteem were significantly correlated with depression. The final model showed that depression among juvenile offenders was significantly influenced by perceived health status, ADHD symptoms, and self-esteem. These variables accounted for 37% of the variance of depression.
Juvenile;Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD);Self-concept;Depression
- I. Y. H. Ng, X. Shen, H. Sim, R. C. Sarri, E. Stoffregen, & J. J. Shook, Incarcerating juveniles in adult prisons as a factor in depression. Journal of Criminal Behavior & Mental Health, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 21-34, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbm.783
- E. P. Ryan, & R. E. Redding, A review of mood disorders among juvenile offenders. Journal of Psychiatric Service, Vol. 55, No. 12, pp. 1397-1407, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.55.12.1397
- C. A. McCarty, A. V. Stoep, E. S. Kuo, & E. McCauley, Depressive symptoms among delinquent youth: testing models of association with stress and support. Journal of Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 85-93, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10862-006-7486-6
- A. F. Klassen, A. Miller, A., & S. Fine, Health-related Qqality of life in children and adolescents who have a diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Pediatrics, Vol. 114, pp. 541-547, 2004.
- H. M. Jin, B. S. Park, & S. W. Bae, The impact of informal labeling, self-esteem, depression, and aggression on juvenile delinquency-focusing on path analysis. Korean Association of Youth Welfare, Vol. 13, No.2, pp. 121-148, 2011.
- Y. J. So, & M. H. Kang, Comparing self-esteem and communication type between delinquent juvenile and general juvenile-focusing on middle school students. Journal of Psychotherapy, Vol. 7, pp. 1-13, 2007.
- T. M. Achenbach, Manual for the youth self-report and 1991 profile. University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry, USA, 1991.
- K. J. Oh, E. H. Ha, H. L. Lee, & K. E. Hong, Korean youth self- report, Joongang Press, Seoul, 2001.
- M. Rosenberg, society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton University Press, USA, 1965.
- L. S. Radloff, The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for eesearch in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement, Vol. 1, pp. 385-401, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- S. C. Choi, K. K. Chon, & B. C. Yang, Integrated adaptation of CES-D in Korea, Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 6, pp. 59-76, 2001.
- P. C. Heaven, K. Newbury, & A. Mak, The impact of adolescent and parental characteristics on adolescent levels of delinquency and depression. Personality and Individual Differences, Vol. 36, pp. 173-185, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(03)00077-1
- N. Matsuura, T. Hashimoto, & M. V. Toichi, The characteristics of AD/HD symptoms, self-esteem, and aggression among serious juvenile offenders in Japan. Research in Developmental Disabilities, Vol. 31, pp. 1197-1203, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2010.07.026
- J. Y. Seo & W. J. Park, The meta analysis of trends and the effects of non-pharmacological intervention for school aged ADHD children, Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatry Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 19, pp. 117-132, 2010. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.2.117
- H. S. Lee, Effects of family function and self-esteem on stress in adolescents. The Korean Society of Stress Medicine, Vol. 21, no.2, 121-129, 2013.
- M. Y. Shin, H. Y. Kim, & J. H. Kim, Depression of the adolescent reporting the symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: mediating effect of self-concept. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 24, pp. 903-916, 2005.
- W. A. Mason, Self-esteem and delinquency revisited (again): a test of Kaplan's self-derogation theory of delinquency. using latent growth curve modeling", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol. 30, pp. 83-102, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005276905961
- C. A. Mallett, P. S. Dare, & M. M. Seck, Predicting juvenile delinquency: the nexus of childhood maltreatment, depression and bipolar disorder. Journal of Criminal Behavior & Mental Health,Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 235-246, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbm.737
- H. I. Jeong, Study on the correlation to the youth's self-esteem influenced upon depression and aggression. Unpublished master's thesis, Kwangwon University, 2005.
- S. D. Hong, J. Y. Lee, & J. H. Kim, Characteristics of emotion and cognition in adolescent delinquent behavior. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 42, pp. 381-386, 2003.
- S. G. Park, The effects of a program for improving the self-esteem of juvenile delinquents in prison. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 21, pp. 1-12, 2007.
- E. J. Lee, The effect of behavior modification treatment on self-esteem & cassation of smoking in delinquents. Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatry Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 14, pp. 64-72, 2005.