- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Implementation Status of Dental Treatment Infection Control Standards of Dental Hygienists
치과위생사의 치과진료 감염방지기준에 관한 연구
- Yoo, Ha-Na (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, College of Medical Science, Konyang University) ;
- Kang, Kyung-Hee (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, College of Medical Science, Konyang University)
- Received : 2013.11.27
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study was conducted to find out about the implementation status of dental treatment infection control standards of dental hygienists. The subjects of research were the dental hygienists working at dentist offices in Chungnam, Cheonan-si using self-input method from July 25th, 2012 to August 1st 2012. The collected data was analyzed after computerized statistical processing using SPSS 18.0. For hepatitis B vaccination, the results were high with 75.0% of answers being 'yes' or auto-active immunity, but for the latest hepatitis vaccination period showed highest results in '5 years or more ago' with 48.0%. Although 93.0% answered that vaccination was important, the percentage of replies that they had vaccination education was relatively low with 41.0%. For the use of personal protection tools the use of protective goggles was low compared to the use of masks and medical gloves. The percentage of subjects that answered that they always wash their hands before treatment was relatively low with 56.0% compared to 82.0% of subjects that answered that they always washed their hands after treatment. Dental treatment equipment washing before sterilization, use of packing and re-sterilization of tools with damaged packing showed high results for 'yes', but the ratio of subjects that answered 'no' to water line management was low with 39%.
- Horimoto T, Kawaoka Y, Pandemic threat posed by avian influenza A virus: a master of metamorphosis. J infect, Vol. 40, pp. 218-228, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1053/jinf.2000.0652
- Sang-Mi Nam, A study on infection control practices by dental hygienists. J of the Korean Acad of Dental Health, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 135-146, 2011.
- Gordon BL, Burke FJT. Bagg J, Marlborough HS, McHugh ES. Systematic review of adherence to infection control guidelines in dentistry. J Dentistry, Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 509-516, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(01)00043-4
- Ji-Hyun Kim, Jin-Kyoung Kim, Infection control among dental hygienists according to infection control education experiences. J of the Korean Acad of Dental Health, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 547-556, 2011.
- Hardie J, Concerns regarding infection controlrecommendations for dental practice. J Can Dent Assoc, Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 337-386, 1992.
- Nash KD, How infection control procedures are affecting dental practice today. J Am Dent Assoc, Vol. 123, No. 3, pp. 67-73, 1992.
- Hwa-Young Choi, Yong-Suk Choi, Actual state of dental hygienist's behavior for infection control during dental practice and radiologic examination. J of the Korean Acad of Dental Health, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 169-178, 2011.
- Atack L, Luke R, Impact of an online course on infection control ad prevention competencies. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 63, No. 2, pp. 175-180, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04660.x
- Santana SL, Furtado GH, Wey SB, Medeiros EA, Impact of on education program on the incidence of central line-associated bloodstream infection in 2medical-surgical intensive care units in Brazil. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 1171-1173, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1086/591862
- Jeong-hee Park, Nam-Suk Heo, Hye-Jeong Song, A study of current infection control by dental hygienists and related factors. J of the Korean Acad of Dental Health, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 993-1003, 2011.
- Runnells RR, Countering the concerns : how to reinforce dental practice safety. J Am Dent Assoc, Vol. 124, No. 1, pp. 65-73, 1993.
- Sung-Suk Bae, Myung-Sun Lee, Study on elements for effective infection control at dental hospitals. J of the Korean Acad of Dental Health, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 557-569, 2011.
- Ganer JS, Gukdeline for prevention of surgical wound infection Atlanta. CDC Publication Vol. 99, pp. 23-81, 1985.
- Danchaivijitr S, Tangtrakool T, Chokloikaew S, Thamlikitkul V, Universal precaution: Costs for protective equipment. American Journal of Infection Control, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 44-50, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-6553(97)90053-5
- Rosenthal VD, Guman S, Pezzotto SM, Crnich CJ, Effect of an infection control program using education and performance feedback on rates of intravascular device-associated bloodstream infection in intensive care units in Argentina. American Journal of Infection Control, Vol. 31, No. 7, pp. 405-409, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2003.52
- Convergence Research on Periodic Changes in the Quality Assessment of Surgical Prophylactic Antibiotics vol.14, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.325
- A Study on the Practice for Infection Prevention of Dental Clinic Worker vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.397