- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Development of a Mental Disorder Recovery Scale
정신장애인의 회복측정도구 개발
- Lee, Jeong-Sook (Dept. of Nursing, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Sun-Young (Dept. of Nursing, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2013.11.22
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This paper is a methodological research aimed at developing a mental disorder recovery scale (MDRS) and testing its validity and reliability. After three sessions of factor analysis, a total of three factors using an Eigen value of 1.0 or more were drawn. The explanatory power was found to be 58.1%. All the items met the criteria for communality and factor loading with no item removed, and, ultimately, 25 items were selected. Criterion-related validity test showed that Pearson's correlation coefficient was significant at .71 (p<.01) with significant correlation with each factor (p<.01). The reliability test showed that Cronbach's
Mental disorder;Recovery;Recovery of Mental disorder;Recovery Scale;Scale Development
- P. E. Deegan, Recovery: The lived experience of rehabilitation. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 11-19, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0099565
- H. Henderson, From depths of despair to heights of recovery. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 83-87, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2975/28.2004.85.87
- E. Leete, How I perceive and manage my illness. Schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 197-200, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/15.2.197
- S. Mead, M. E. Copeland, What recovery means to us: Consumers' perspectives. Community Mental Health Journal, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 315-328, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1001917516869
- S. Y. Hwang, The perception of recovery: Perspectives from people with mental illness. Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. 27, pp. 28-63, 2007.
- G. O. Song, Validation of the Korean version of the mental health recovery measure. Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. 34, pp. 154-188, 2010.
- E. O. John, R. G. Donald, The brief psychiatric rating scale. Psychological Reports, Vol 10, pp. 799-812. 1962. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1922.214.171.1249
- E. Jean, L. S. Robert, L. F. Joseph, C. Jacob, The global assessment scale: A procedure for measuring overall severity of psychiatric disturbance, Arch Gen Psychiatry, Vol 33, No. 6, pp. 766-771. 1976. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1976.01770060086012
- R. O. Ralph, K. Kindder, D. Phillips, Can we measure recovery? Cambridge: Human Services Research Institute, 2000.
- G. Dickens, Mental health outcome measures in the age of recovery-based services. British Journal of Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 15, pp. 940-943, 2009. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2009.18.15.43564
- S. Essock, L. Sederer, Editorial: Understanding and measuring recovery. Schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 279-281, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbn185
- J. G. Yoon, A study on the attitudes toward recovery of the mentally challenged:focusing on the validation and utilization of a Korean version of the recovery attitudes questionnaire-16. Master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul. 2012.
- J. K. Bae, Attitude of recovery and quality of life of persons with psychiatric disabilities-Focused on scale development and model testing- Ph.D. dissertation, Keimyung University, Daegu. 2005.
- E. O. Lee, N. Y. Lim, H. E. Park, I. S. Lee, J. I. Kim, J. I. Bae, et al, Nursing Research and Statistical Analysis. Paju: Soomoonsa, 2009.
- S. H. Kook, C. N. Son, The development of Happy-QoL scale for assessing the quality of life in patient with schizophrenic disorder. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 665-691, 2001.
- P. Allot, L. Loganathan, B. Fulford, Discovering hope for recovery. Journal of Community Mental Health, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 1-22, 2002.
- N. Jacobson, D. Greenley, What is recovery? A conceptual model and explication. Psychiatric Services, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 482-485, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.52.4.482
- L. W. Jensen, T. A. Wadkins, Mental health success stories: Finding path to recovery. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 28, pp. 325-340, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/01612840701244086
- M. K. Smith, Recovery from a severe psychiatric disability: Findings of a qualitative study. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 149-158, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0095105
- M. Y. Kim, A structural model of recovery among people with mental illness. Ph.D. dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul. 2011.
- W. P. Sullivan, Along and winding road: The process of recovery from severe mental illness. Innovation & Research, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 19-27, 1994.
- S. L. Young, D. S. Ensing, Exploring recovery from the perspective of people with psychiatric disabilities. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 1-28, 1999.
- K. S. Shim, S. I. Song, A study on the recognition of mental health professionals for the recovery of persons with mental disabilities. Mental Health & Social Work, Vol. 32, pp. 78-105, 2009.
- S. H. Lee, A study on factors affecting the rehabilitation for the people with mental disorder-Focusing on the recovery factors-. Master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul. 2010.
- S. I. Kang, Influential Factors for the Recovery Process of People with Mental Disorder: the mediation effects of ego-identity on integration with local community. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Catholic University, Seoul. 2013.
- G. Browne, M. Hemsely, W. S. John, Consumer perspectives on recovery: A focus on housing following discharge from hospital. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 17, pp. 402 -409, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0349.2008.00575.x
- P. H. Lysaker, D. Roe, P. T. Yanos, Toward understanding the insight paradox: Internalized stigma moderates the association between insight and social functioning, hope and self-esteem among people with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 192-199, 2007.