- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of self awareness of halitosis on the quality of life related to oral health in patients with chronic renal failure
만성신부전증 환자의 자가 구취인식이 구강건강관련 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Eun-Suk (Dept. of Public Health, Graduate School of Wonkwang University)
- 조은숙 (원광대학교 대학원 보건학과)
- Received : 2013.11.05
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study has been conducted to investigate the effect of self awareness of halitosis on the quality of life related to oral health in patients with chronic renal failure undergoing hemodialysis and use basic data related to oral health of patients with chronic renal failure which is very rare in Korea. In terms of oral symptoms based on awareness of halitosis, there were significant differences in symptoms of teeth pain in the past one month, bleeding gums, symptoms of tongue or cheek pain, dry mouth, In terms of status of oral functions, there were significant differences in discomfort upon chewing foods, difficulty of pronunciation and presence of lost teeth. As the results of analysis of effect of self awareness of halitosis on the quality of life related to oral health in patients with chronic renal failure, it was shown that there were significant effects in psychological discomfort(B=-2.028, p<.01), poor social skills(B=2.596, p<.01) and social disadvantage(B=-2.173, p<.01). Thus, because self awareness of halitosis gives psychologically and socially negative effects, it could be an important factor to patients with renal failure whose number is rapidly increasing.
Chronic Renal Failure;Halitosis;Self Awareness;Quality of Life Related to Oral Health;Undergoing the Hemodialysis Therapy
- J.C.Jeong, S.H.Choi, M.S.Song, C.H.Jun, H.M.Kim, D.H.Jeong, Kaposis' Sarcomanof the oral cavity in renal transplanted patient; A case report, J, Kor, Oral Maxillofac, Surg, 29,186-190, 2003
- Y.K.Kim, Systemic disease and oral health, Dental Clinical, Vol.28, No.10, pp.934-935, 2008.
- L.M. Sreebny and A.Vissink, Dry mouth, Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- J .S .Han, J .H. Hong, J. S. Choi, Factors associated with self-assessment of halitosis in adult, J Korea Contents, Vol.11, No.12, pp.347-356, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.347
- M.M.Bornstein, B.L.Stocker, R.Seemann, W.B.Buurgin, and A. Lussi, Prevalence of Halitosis in Young Male Adults: A Study in Swiss Army Recruits Comparing Self-Reported and Clinical Data, J Periodontol, Vol.80, No.1, pp.24-31, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.080310
- C. Scully, M. El-Maaytah, S. R. Porter, and J. Greenman, Breath Odor: Etiopathogenesis, Assessment and Management, Eur J Oral Sci, Vol.10, No.4, pp.287-293, 1997.
- T. Oho, Y. Yoshida, Y. Shimazaki, Y. Yoshihiro, Y. Yamashita, and T. Koga, Characteristics of Patients Complaining of Halitosis and the Usefulness of Gas Chrom atography for Diagnosing Halitosis, Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, Vol.91, No.5, pp.531-534, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2001.112543
- A. Bosy, Oral Malodor: Philosophical and Practical Aspects, J Can Dent Assoc, Vol.63, No.3, pp.196-201, 1997.
- F. Romano, E. Pigella, N. Guzzi, and M.Aimetti, Patients' Self-Assessment of Oral Malodour and Its Relationship with Organoleptic Scores and Oral Conditions, Int J Dent Hyg, Vol.8, No.1, pp.41-46, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2009.00368.x
- A. Eldarrat, J. Alkhabuli, and A. Malik, The Prevalence of Self-Reported Halitosis and Oral Hygiene Practices among Libyan Students and Office Workers, Libyan J Med, Vol.3, No.4, pp.170-176, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4176/080527
- Slade G.D, Dervation and validation of a short form oral health impact profile, Comunity Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.25, No.4, pp.284-290, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00941.x
- Liu X.N, Shinada K, Chen X.C, Zhang B.X, Yaegaki . K, Kawaguchi Y: Oral malodor related parameters in the Chinese general population. J Clin Periodontol 33, pp.31-36, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2005.00862.x
- C.M.Bollen, T.Beikler, Halitosis-the multidis ciplinary approach, Int J Oral Sci 4, pp.55 -63, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijos.2012.39
- I. Kleinberg, M.S.Wolff, D.M. Codipilly, Role of saliva in oral dryness, oral feel and oral malodour, Int Dent 52, pp.236-240, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1875-595X.2002.tb00932.x
- S.Koshimune, S.Awano, K.Gohar, E. Kurihara, T.Ansai, T.Takehara, Low salivary flow and volatile sulfur compoundsin mouth air, Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96, pp.38-41, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(03)00162-8
- N.Suzuki, M.Yoneda, T.Naito, T.Womoto, T.Hirofuj I, Relationship between halitosis and psychologic status, Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Radiol Endod 101, pp.542 -547, 2008.
- A.Leao, A.Sheiham, Relation between clinic dental status and subjective impact on daily living, J Dent Res, Vol.74, No.7, pp.1408- 1413, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345950740071301
- S.H.Yu, Y.I.Kim, H.S.Lee, Oral health-related quality of life in the elderly with removable denture, The Journal of the Korean Academy of Dental Health, Vol.32 , No.4, pp.575-586, 2008.
- H.J.Kim, Relationship between quality of life and industial workers´oral health evaluation using OHIP, Doctor's thesis Keimyung University , 2004.
- M.R.Lee, J.S.Choi, Self-reported halitosis and the associated factor in adult, The korean society of dental hygiene Sience, Vol.13, No.2, PP.142 -150, 2013.
- L. McKeown, Social Relations and Breath Odour, Int J Dent Hygiene, Vol.1, No.4, pp.213-217, 2003 https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1601-5037.2003.00056.x
- J.B.Kim, K.Y.Nam, W.G.Chung, Y.N.Kim ,H.J.Noh, S.O.Jang, H.S.Jeon, J.H.Yoo, J.H.Chung, B.W.Kim, A Clinic study on the care of oral complication in the admission patients with major renal diseases, KAMPRS, Vol.26, No.2, pp.175-182, 2004.
- M.J.Fernandes, D.A.Ruta, G.R.Ogden, N.B. Pitts, S.A.Ogston, Assessing oral health-realated quality of life in general dental practice in scotland: validation of the OHIP-14, Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.34, No.1, pp.53-62, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00254.x
- M.Kiran, N.Arpak, E.Unsal, M.F.Erdogan, the effect of improved periodontal health on metabolic control in type2 diabets mellitus, J clin periodontal, Vol.32 , No.3, pp.266-272, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2005.00658.x
- Analysis of the Influence of Physical and Mental Function, and Oral Health Impact Profiles on Quality of Life in the Elderly People in Long-term Care Centers using the Structural Equation Model vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.500