- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Relationship Between Oral Contraceptive Use and Periodontal Disease in Korean Women
제4기 국민건강영양조사 자료에 근거한 한국 여성의 경구피임약 복용과 치주질환의 관련성
- Kim, Ki-Rim (Oral Cancer Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Dentistry) ;
- Noh, Hie-Jin (Department of Dental Hygiene, Kangwon National University College of Health Science)
- Received : 2013.10.24
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study aims to evaluate the influence of oral contraceptive(OC) on periodontal disease. Research data was used the results derived from the Fourth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES), and 1,101 Korean women, aged 19 to 50 years with non-pregnant and premenopausal, were selected. The chi-square test and logistic regression analysis were performed to identify the relationship between OC use and periodontal disease, according to factors of demographic and socioeconomic, oral health behavior, OC use period, and periodontal status. In the results, OC use was statistically related with age, marital status and smoking. No significant differences were found in between the gingival condition and current OC use. The prevalence of periodontal disease increased with age, but did not have significant correlations with period of OC usage, smoking and oral health behavior. Final analysis was indicated that OC use is not associated with periodontal disease, regardless of adjustment for confounding variables.
Oral contraceptive;Periodontal disease;Korean women;Socioeconomic status;Oral health behavior
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Thorneycroft, I.H., et al., Effect of low-dose oral contraceptives on androgenic markers and acne. Contraception, 60(5): p. 255-62. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-7824(99)00093-1
- Hannaford, P.C., et al., Cancer risk among users of oral contraceptives: cohort data from the Royal College of General Practitioner's oral contraception study. Bmj, 335(7621): p. 651, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39289.649410.55
- Wong, C.L., et al., Oral contraceptive pill as treatment for primary dysmenorrhoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2009(2): p. Cd002120, 2009.
- Schindler, A.E., Non-contraceptive benefits of oral hormonal contraceptives. Int J Endocrinol Metab, 11(1): p. 41-7, 2013.
- Gierisch, J.M., et al., Oral Contraceptive Use and Risk of Breast, Cervical, Colorectal, and Endometrial Cancers: A Systematic Review. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2013.
- Hee, L., L.O. Kettner, and M. Vejtorp, Continuous use of oral contraceptives: an overview of effects and side-effects. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand, 92(2): p. 125-36, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.12036
- Mariotti, A., Sex steroid hormones and cell dynamics in the periodontium. Crit Rev Oral Biol, Med, 5(1): p. 27-53, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/10454411940050010201
- Parkar, M.H., H.N. Newman, and I. Olsen, Polymerase chain reaction analysis of oestrogen and androgen receptor expression in human gingival and periodontal tissue. Arch Oral Biol, 41(10): p. 979-83, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9969(96)00053-2
- Preshaw, P.M., M.A. Knutsen, and A. Mariotti, Experimental gingivitis in women using oral contraceptives. J Dent Res, 80(11): p. 2011-5, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345010800111201
- Taichman, L.S. and S.A. Eklund, Oral contraceptives and periodontal diseases: rethinking the association based upon analysis of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data. J Periodontol, 76(8): p. 1374-85, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2005.76.8.1374
- Preshaw, P.M., Oral contraceptives and the periodontium. Periodontol 2000, 61(1): p. 125-59, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2011.00399.x
- Han, S.B., H.S. Moon, and H.J. Lee, [Epidemiological study of periodontal disease in rural Korea]. Taehan Chikkwa Uisa Hyophoe Chi, 24(10): p. 893-900, 1986.
- Abdellatif, H.M. and B.A. Burt, An epidemiological investigation into the relative importance of age and oral hygiene status as determinants of periodontitis. J Dent Res, 66(1): p. 13-8, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345870660010201
- Haber, J., Cigarette smoking: a major risk factor for periodontitis. Compendium, 15(8): p. 1002, 1004-8, 1994.
- Moimaz, S.A., et al., Smoking and periodontal disease: clinical evidence for an association. Oral Health Prev Dent, 7(4): p. 369-76, 2009.
- Huppert, L.C., Vascular effects of hormonal contraception. Clin Obstet Gynecol, 1981. 24(3): p. 951-63. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003081-198109000-00020
- Goldzieher, J.W., Hormonal contraceptives. Past, present, and future. Postgrad Med, 75(5): p. 75-7, 80, 83-6, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1080/00325481.1984.11697991
- Goldzieher, J.W., Hormonal contraception: benefits versus risks. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 157(4 Pt 2): p. 1023-8, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9378(87)80127-8
- Williams CL, S.G., Estrogens and progestins, in Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological basis of therapeutics. L.L. Hardman JG, Editor, New York: McGraw-Hill, p. 1411-1441, 1996.
- Knight, G.M. and A.B. Wade, The effects of hormonal contraceptives on the human periodontium. J Periodontal Res, 9(1): p. 18-22, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.1974.tb00648.x
- Locker, D., G.D. Slade, and H. Murray, Epidemiology of periodontal disease among older adults: a review. Periodontol 2000, 16: p. 16-33, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.1998.tb00113.x
- Albandar, J.M., Epidemiology and risk factors of periodontal diseases. Dent Clin North Am, 49(3): p. 517-32, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2005.03.003
- Stamm, J.W., Epidemiology of gingivitis. J Clin Periodontol, 13(5): p. 360-70, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1986.tb01473.x
- Tilakaratne, A., et al., Effects of hormonal contraceptives on the periodontium, in a population of rural Sri-Lankan women. J Clin Periodontol, 27(10): p. 753-7, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2000.027010753.x
- Musajo, F., et al., [Estradiol hormone receptors in human gingiva: preliminary results]. G Stomatol Ortognatodonzia, 3(1): p. 75-9, 1985.
- Rheu, G.B., et al., Risk assessment for clinical attachment loss of periodontal tissue in Korean adults. J Adv Prosthodont, 3(1): p. 25-32, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4047/jap.2011.3.1.25
- Lindhe, J. and A.L. Bjorn, Influence of hormonal contraceptives on the gingiva of women. J Periodontal Res, 2(1): p. 1-6, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.1967.tb01989.x
- Gender-related difference in the relationship between smoking status and periodontal diseases: the propensity score matching approach vol.41, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.2.122
- Daily Smoking Girls' Tobacco Use, Health Behaviors and Family Factors : Analysis of 2015 Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey vol.14, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.377