- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Difference among College Students' Department Satisfaction and Career Maturity and the Influence on Career Stress
대학생의 학과만족도, 진로성숙도의 차이와 진로스트레스에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Yu, Eun-Yeong (Dept. of Health, Health College University) ;
- Yang, Yu-Jeong (Dept. of Policy, Medicine Management, Chodang University)
- Received : 2013.10.16
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study is conducted to analyze the difference among college students' department satisfaction, career maturity, and career stress, and to examine the influence of department satisfaction and career maturity on career stress. A survey was done among 824 college students using the scales on department satisfaction, career maturity, and career stress and the following results were found. First of all, department satisfaction, career maturity, and career stress had statistically significant differences based on students year, age, academic records, entrance motive, peer relation, and health condition. Secondly, the subfactors of department satisfaction, namely, course satisfaction, relationship satisfaction, general satisfaction, and recognition satisfaction, showed statistically significant differences according to age, gender, academic records, entrance motive, peer relation, and health condition. Thirdly, the subfactors of career maturity, namely, determinacy, participation, independence, tendency, and compromise, had statistically significant differences according to year and age. Lastly, career maturity and department satisfaction considerably influenced career stress: when department satisfaction and career maturity were lower, career stress was higher. These results indicate that department satisfaction and career maturity correlate with career stress. Therefore, in order to decrease career stress, college students who maintain a low level of department satisfaction and career maturity should receive active guidance and education.
Department Satisfaction;Career Maturity;Career Stress;College Students;Guidance and Education
Supported by : 광주보건대학교
- G. H. Jang, H. K. Lee, H. J. Jeong, Major part of a Student's Learning Whether the Department of Health and the Department of the School. J. Kor. Soc. Hygienic Sciences Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.137-146, 2008.
- J. H. Lee, A Study on Department Satisfaction, Career Maturity, and Career Stress of College Student. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Department of School Counselling Graduate School of Education, Kangwon National University. 2008.
- E. S. Sim, Gender, Class, and Major Differences in Career Maturity and Student Satisfaction in College Students. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Kangwon National University. 2003.
- K. H. Lee, J. M. Kwon, The Relationship Between College Students' Selecting Majors and Their Achievement in College Life, The Journal of Educational Research. Vol. 12. pp. 95-112. 1996.
- Betterncourt, B. A., Charlton, K., Eubanks, J., & Kernahan, C. Development of Collective Selfesteem among Students : Predicting Adjustment to College. Basic and Applied Social Psychology. Vol. 2. No. 13. pp. 213-222. 1999.
- Goldman, C.S & Wong, E.H. Stress and the college student, Education. Vol. 117. No. 4. pp.578-604. 1997.
- Tolbert, E. L. Counseling for career development (2nd ed). Boston: Houghton Miffin, 1980.
- J. H. Lee, S. T. Lim, The Moderating Effects of College Students' Career Maturity on the Relations between Satisfaction of Major and Career Stress. The Journal of Vocational Education Research. Vol. 30. No. 3. pp. 133-146. 2011.
- G. H. Kim, H. R. Kim, J. H. Son, S. G. Lee, J. S. Lee, Seoul National University Student Schievement Course. Student Research Journal. Vol. 30. No. 1 pp. 18-37. 1995
- K. A. Lee, N. H. Yoo, E. K. Lee, J. H. Jeon, K. H. Lee, The Relationship of Academic Personality Types and Major Satisfaction on Academic Achievement Related Variables. Korea Journal of Psychology Vol.16 No.1 pp.107-121, 2004.
- E. K. No, Identifying Latent Classes in University Students' Career Anxiety Changes and Testing Risk Factors.b The Journal of Vocational Education Research, Vol. 30. No. 1. pp. 133-149. 2011.
- S. J. Choi, Potential Growth Model on the Relationship among factors that influence general high school students' selection of university, career anxiety and career choice dissatisfaction. Third Korean Education Employment Panel conference Researches. pp. 401-432. 2007.
- Gribbons, W. D., and P. R. Lehnes. Relationship among measures of readiness for Vocational Planning. Journal of Counseling Psychology. Vol. 41. pp. 13-20. 1964.
- D. W. Jang, J. H. Park, D. J. No, Y. S. Lee, A Study on Plans for Departmental Adjustment Guidance for College Students with Major-Aptitude Discordance. Student Guidance Study, 14 Chonbuk National University Student Guidance Center. pp. 109-154. 1996.
- Crites, J. O. Theory and research handbook for the CMI. Monterey, CA: McGraw-Hill. 1978.
- H. O. Kim. The Relationship between the Career Maturity Levels of Korean Adolescents andthe Related Variables. Ph.D. dissertation. Konkuk National University. 1989.
- B. H. Kim, Career Decision Level and Career Preparation Behavior of the College Students. Ph.D. dissertation, Seoul National University. 2001.
- S. H. wang, Stress and Coping Strategies of College Students and College life, and the Relationship. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Yonsei National University. 2003.
- Arnold, K & Denny, T. The lives of academic lives : The career aspirations of male and female valedictorians and salutatorians. Paper presented at the annual meeting fo the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, Illinois. 1985.
- Farmer, H. S, Model for career and achievement motivation for women and men. Journal of Counseling Psychology. Vol. 32. pp. 363-390. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.1243
- M. J. Kim, B. H. Kim, The Effect of Anxiety and Career Decision-Making Self-Efficacy on Career Decision Level. Career Education Research Journal. Vol. 20 No. 1. pp. 13-25. 2007.
- E. R. Son, Career Barriers Perceived by Female College Students. Ph.D. dissertation, Seoul National University. 2001.
- M. S. Min, H. R. Heo, H. M. Kim, Policy Issues and Support of University Status for the Transition to the World of Occupation of Female Students. Women's studies forum. Vol. 20. No. 2. pp. 265-269. 2002.
- N. Y. Kim, A Study on Relationships Among Stress, Social Support, and Life Satisfaction of University Students. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Konkuk National University. 2011.
- S. H. Kim, The Relationship of College Student's Career-related Stress and Adjustment to College : The Moderating Effect of Ego-resilience and The Mediating Effect of Career Attitude Maturity. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Jeonbuk National University. 2011.
- Seoul National University Student Guidance Center. Seoul National University Freshmen Characteristics Survey Report. 2001.
- M. J. Jo, The Effects of Career Maturity of College Students on Job-Seeking Anxiety and Stress. Journal of Career and Employment Services Study. Vol. 5. No. 2. pp. 47-60. 2010.
- Y. R. Kang, The Influence of Jobs seeking Stress on Their Career Maturity Dance Majoring Students. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Dankuk National University. 2007.
- S. K. Kim, Life Stress in Freshman and Adjustment to College. Korean journal of youth studies Vol. 10. No. 2. pp. 215-237. 2003.
- Loeb, R., & Magee, P. Changes in attitudes and self-perceptions during the first two tears of college, Journal of College Student Development. 33 pp.348-355, 1992.
- Y. M. Sung, The Effects of Cognitive-Behavioral Group Counseling for the Coping of Career Stress. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Sogang National University. 2007.
- Super, D. E. Applications fo self-efficacy theory to the understanding and treatment of career indecision. Journal fo Vocational Behavior. Vol. 22. pp. 63-81. 1957.
- H. S. Ha, A Study of Department Satisfaction and School Satisfaction of Undergraduate Students. A Thesis for the Degree of Master of Education. Seoul National University. 1999.
- H. S. Lee, Y. S. Son, M. K. Kim, A Study of Developing Check List on College Students' Problem and Problem-solving Behavior. Student Life Research Vol. 25 pp. 42-103, 1989
- D. Y. Kim, A Study on Students' Campus Life Satisfaction : The Case of College of Medicine, Inje University. Inje Journal. Vol. 20. No. 1. pp. 237-259, 2005.
- H. R. Lee, S. M. Kim, M. S. Cheun, S. K. Choi, A Structural Analysis of Career Stress, Career Barriers, Career Development, and Career Preparation Behavior of Undergraduate Students. Career Education Research Journal. Vol. 21. No. 4. pp. 59-80. 2008.
- Factors Affecting Nursing College Students' Satisfaction with their Department vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.587
- A Study on the Variables Influencing Suicidal Ideation in Single Person Households: Targeting One Gu in Gwangju vol.33, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2015.33.6.115
- The Effect of Career Preparation Program on Self-esteem, Self-efficacy related career decision-making and Career Development Readiness in University Students vol.14, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.407