- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Nursing Activity, Job Stress, and Job Satisfaction of Nurses in Community Mental Health Facilities
정신요양시설 간호사의 업무활동, 직무스트레스 및 직무만족도
- Lim, Hyunjung (Institute of the Forensic Psychiatric Ministry of Justice) ;
- Gang, Moonhee (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Kyongok (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2013.12.01
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
The purpose of this study was to describe and identify factors that affect job satisfaction of nurses in community mental health facilities. The participants were 201 nurses from 59 nationwide community mental health facilities in Korea. The collected data were analyzed using a t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and hierarchical multiple regression with SPSS 20.0 for Windows. The mean scores of nursing activity, job stress, and job satisfaction were 2.0, 2.4, and 3.1, respectively. Nursing activity and job stress were significantly correlated with job satisfaction. According to the multiple regression analysis, perceived health status, nursing activity (management of daily living), and job stress explained 21% of the variance in job satisfaction. This study suggested the necessity of developing and conducting programs for job stress reduction and job competency enhancement to improve job satisfaction of nurses in community mental health facilities.
- H. Y. Kim, A study of the role performance and job satisfaction among psychiatric mental health nurse. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, 2004.
- S. B. Im, W. S. Chang, M. H. Ko, Y. S. Park, & E. K. Kim, Analysis of psychiatric nursing activity and time of development of nursing cost. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.41-54, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.1.41
- J. U. Park, The relationship between job stress and burnout of psychiatric nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2007.
- Y. J. Lee & K. B. Kim,, Experiences of nurse turnover. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp.248-257, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.248
- C. J. Kipping, Stress in mental health nursing. International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp.207-218, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(00)00006-7
- A. M. Gerolamo, An exploratory analysis of the relationship between psychiatric nurses' perceptions of workload and unit activity. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp.243-250, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2008.06.005
- B. Happell, T. Martin, & J. Pinikahana, Burnout and job satisfaction: a comparative study of psychiatric nurses from forensic and a mainstream mental health service. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.39-47, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-0979.2003.00267.x
- J. R. Robinson, K. Clements, & C. Land, Workplace stress among psychiatric nurses. prevalence, distribution, correlates, & predictors. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Service, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp.32-41, 2003.
- The National Human Rights Commission of Korea, National human rights commission of the Republic of Korea-annual report 2009.. Retrieved July 30, 2010, from http://www.human rights.go.kr/english/publications/ publications01_view.jsp.
- The Ministry of Health & Welfare, Guideline for community mental health service. Retrieved March 29, 2012, from http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb030301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=031603&CONT_SEQ=269330&page=1.
- L. S. Paula, B. P. Eugene, B. S. Dinah, & M. H. Ann, Measurement of work satisfaction among health profession. Medical Care, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 337-352, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197804000-00006
- H. S. Go, A study on the role of clinical nurse perception and job satisfaction. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, 1998.
- J. Y. Bae, The development of occupational stress measurement tool for psychiatric nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp.77-87, 1989.
- H. J. Kim, The degree of job stress, self-efficacy and job satisfaction in psychiatric nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, 2010.
- K. A. McLoughlin, T. Webb, M, Myers, K. Skinner, & C. H. Adams, Developing a psychosocial rehabilitation treatment mall: an implementation model for mental health nurses. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp.330-338, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2009.12.001
- D. Edwards, P. Burnard, D. Coyle, A. Fothergill & B. Hannigan, A step wise multivariate analysis of factors that contribute to stress for mental health nurses working in the community. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp.805-13, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.02035.x
- Y. S. Kim, Clinical nurses' autonomy, job stress and job performance. Unpublish master's thesis, Hanyang University, 2012.
- H. Lu, A. E. While, & B. K. Louise, Job satisfaction among nurses: a literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp.211-227, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.09.003
- H. J. Kim & H. K. Nam, A study of community psychiatric mental health nurse's activity. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp.489-501, 2007.
- D. A. Richards, P. Bee, M. Barkham, S. M. Gilbody, J. Cahill, & J. Glanville, The prevalence of nursing staff stress on adult acute psychiatric in-patient wards: a systematic review. Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp.34-43, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0998-7
- Convergence Relationship between Occupational Stress and Fatigue Symptoms among Blue Collar Workers in Manufacturing Plants vol.7, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.057
- A Convergence Study about Influences of Self-efficacy and Mindfulness on Job Satisfaction on General Hospital Nurses vol.7, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.107