- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effects on Aromatherapy and Foot Reflex Massage on the Cognition, Anxiety, Aggressive Behavior and Wandering Behavior of Elderly with Dementia
향요법 발반사 마사지가 치매노인의 인지, 불안, 공격행동 및 배회행동에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Sun-Young (Department of Nursing, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Sook (Department of Nursing, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2013.11.22
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This study aims to evaluate the effects of aromatherapy and a foot reflex massage program on the cognition, anxiety, aggressive behavior, and wandering behavior of elderly with dementia. The research design was a non-equivalent control group, quasi-experimental study where 43 subjects were divided into two groups. Aromatherapy and foot reflex massage was administered to the experimental group (N=21), and no treatment was administered to the control group (N=22). The data was analyzed using the
- B. Diamond, K. Johnson, T. Morodan, J. Prokop, D. Davidke, P. Kramer, Complementary and alternative medicines in the treatment of dementia: An evidence based review. Drugs Aging, Vol. 20, No. 13, pp. 981-998, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2165/00002512-200320130-00003
- K. Schnaubelt, Medical aromatherapy: Healing with essential oil. USA: North AtlanticBooks, 1999.
- B. T. Mackey, Massage therapy and reflexology awareness. Nursing Clinic of North America, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 159-170, 2001.
- H. J. Yang, H. Y. Kang, I. S. Kim, The effects of aroma foot reflex massage on sleep, depression and problem behaviors on elderly with dementia. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 574-583. 2011.
- J. R. Lee, Effects of aromatherapy and foot reflex massage on stress, depression and sleep pattern of the institutional elderly. The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 17-30, 2005.
- E. Erdfelder, F. Faul, A. Buchner, GPOWER: A general power analysis program. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computer, Vol. 28, pp. 1-11, 1996. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03203630
- J. H. Park, Y. C. Kwon, Korean Version of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE_K) Part1: Development oh the test for the elderly. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 28, pp. 125-135, 1989.
- M. E. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, "Minimental state", A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. Journal Psychiatry Res, Vol. 12, pp. 189-198, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- M. B. Ryden, Aggressive behavior in persons with dementia who live in the community. Alzheimer's disease and associated disorders : Int J Gerontol, Vol. 2, pp. 342-355, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002093-198802040-00003
- D. L. Algase, E. R. Beattie, E. Bogue, L. Yao, The Algase Wandering Scale: Initial psychometrics of a new caregiver reporting tool. American Journal of Alzheimer's disease, 2001.
- A. Wendy, The use of aromatherapy in assisted living, Wilmington College, Ph.D. dissertation, Landenberg, 2000.
- V. A. Worwood, The fragrant mind. Novato, CA : New World Library, pp. 17-18, 1996.
- P. Tobin, Aromatherapy and its application in the management of people with dementia. Lamp New South Wales Nurs Assoc, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 34, 1995.
- B. C. Ha, Aromatherapy. SooMoonSa, Seoul, 2000.
- M. Hardy, M. D. Kirk-Smith, D. Stretch, Replacement of chronic drug treatment for insomnia in psychogeriatric patients by ambient odour. Lancet, Vol. 346, pp. 701-712, 1995.
- S. W. Choi, Effect of aromatherapy on behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia. Korean Journal of Gerontology Society, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 1609-1087, 2008.
- L. J. Fitten, Editorial: management of behavioral and psychiatric symptoms in dementia. The Journal of Nutrition Health & Aging, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 409, 2006.
- P. J. Seignourel, M. E. Kunik, L. Snow, N. Wilson, M. Stanley, Anxiety in dementia: A critical review. Clinical Psychology Review, 2008.
- H. Lavretsky, D. Sultzer, A structured trial of risperidone for the treatment of agitation in dementia. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 6, pp. 127-135, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1097/00019442-199805000-00006
- C. Holmes, C. Ballard, Aromatherapy in dementia. Advanced in Psychiatric Treatment, Vol. 10, pp. 296-300, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1192/apt.10.4.296
- H. K. Oh, J. Y. Choi, K. G. Jun, J. S. Lee, D. K. Park, S. D. Choi, et al, Studies of the scent of aroma synergy blending on the anti-stress and effects & a comparative study of three kinds of aroma synergy blending on their effects. Journal of Korean Psychotress, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 9-24, 2000.
- W. Y. Oh, E. S. Jeon, H. S. Lee, Foot care reflexology. Paju: Kyongseowonchulpansa, 2007.
- J. Buckle, Massage and aromatherapy massage: Nursing art and science. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 276-280, 2003.
- K. K. Shankar, M. Walker, D. Frost, M. W. Orrell, The development of a valid and reliable scale for rating anxiety in dementia(RAID). Aging & Mental Health, Vol. 3, pp. 39-49, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607869956424
- C. Holmes, V, Hopkins, C. Hensford, V. MacLaughlin, D. Wilkinson, H. Rosenvinge, Lavender oil as a treatment for agitated behavior in severe dementia. International Journal of Geriatric psychiatry, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 305-308, 2000.
- Convergence Study on the Relation between Cognition, Depression and Aggression in the Elderly vol.6, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.171