- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises' Technological Competitiveness and Technology Marketing on Commercialization Performance
중소기업의 기술경쟁력과 기술마케팅이 사업화성과에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2013.10.30
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
The purpose of this paper is to study the effects of SMEs' technological competitiveness and technology marketing on commercialization performance. For this, we conducted a survey targeting 204 people who are in charge of new product or technology development in SMEs which possess corporate R&D center authorized by the government on technological competitiveness, technology marketing and commercialization performance. The paper studied the effects of technological competitiveness on technology marketing and commercialization performance, technology marketing on commercialization performance. Empirical analysis shows follow results. First, technological competitiveness which includes technology innovation capability, technology commercialization capability and R&D intensity (investment on R&D personnel) have a positive effect on technology marketing. Second, technology commercialization capability have a positive effect on commercialization sales performance & commercialization non-sales performance, R&D intensity (investment on R&D physical) have a positive effect on commercialization non-sales performance. Third, high core technology and enabling technology on technology marketing result in better commercialization performance. As a result, technology-centered SMEs need to make continuous efforts to elevate technological competitiveness factors such as technology innovation capability, technology commercialization capability and R&D intensity.
technological capability;technology marketing;commercialization performance
- Schumpeter, J. A.(1934), The Theory of Economic Development: An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest And the Business Cycle, Harvard University Press.
- BurgeSmani, R. A., C. M. Christensen & S. C. Wheelwright(2004), Strategic management of technology and innovation, Irwin: A guide to profitable new ventures, John Wiley & Sons.
- Metcalfe, S.(1995), "The economic foundations of technology policy: equilibrium and evolutionary perspectives", Handbook of the economics of innovation and technological change, p. 446.
- Westphal, L. E., L. Kim & C. J. Dahlman(1985), "Reflections on the Republic of Korea's acquisition of technological capability", in N. Rosenberg and C. Frischtak (2eds.), International Technology Transfer: Conceppts, Measures, and Comparison, Praeger : New York, pp. 162-221.
- No-yun Park, The Relationships Between Technological Innovation and Its Determinants in Korean Small and Medium Firms, The journal of small business innovation, 20(2), pp. 119-147, 1998.
- Choi Ji-sun, Hyung-Jin Kim, Innovative Capabilities of NCsoft, the Leading Firm in the Korean Online Games Industry, Korea game society, 10(5), pp. 51-62, 2010.
- Jolly, V. K.(1997), Commercializing new technologies, Boston, MA: Harvard Business School.
- Branch, B.(1974), "R&D Activity and Profitability: A Distributed Lag Analysis", Journal of Political Economy, 82(51).
- Buzzell, R. D., B. T. Gale,(1975), "Market Share-a Key to Profitability", Harvard Business Review.
- Seong-pyo Cho, Yeon-hui Lee, Seon-yeong Park, Jeong-hui Bae, R&D investment and performance analysis of the relationship on R&D Scoreboard, Asian journal of technology innovation, 10(1), 2002.
- Jin-Soo Cheong, Jae-Young Park, The Impact of R&D Expenses on Business Value in the KOSDAQ Firms, Korea Industrial Economics Association, 17(7), 2004.
- Vorhies, D. W. and N. A. Morgan(2005), "Benchmarking marketing capabilities for sustainable competitive advantage", Journal of Marketing, 69(1), 80-9.
- Webster, F. E.(1992), "The Cahnging Role of Marketing in the Corporation", Journal of Marketing, 56(4), pp. 1-17.
- Dutta, Shantanu, Om Narasimhan and Surendra Rajiv(1999), "Success in high-technology markets: is marketing capabilities critical?", Marketing Science, 18(4), 547-568. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.18.4.547
- Seong-jun Yoon, Gye-bong Choi, A Comparison of Manufacturing Firms and Service Firms Using a Marketing Performance Evaluation Model, ASIA MARKETING JOURNAL, 4(4), pp. 28-50, 2003.
- Hye-Soon Jeong, A Study on Outsourcing Strategy for Technology Marketing, Korea Marketing Associations, p. 224, 2006.
- Teece, D. J., G. Pisano,. & A. Shuen(1997), "Dynamic capabilities and strategic management", Strategic Management Journal, 18(7), pp. 509-533. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- NAVER, http://blog.naver.com/bandoi/50008296878
- Yam, R. C. M., Guan, J. C., Pun, K. F., Tang, E. O. Y(2004), "An Audit of technological innovation capabilities in chinese firms: some empirical finding in Beijing, China", Research Policy 31(3), pp. 543-567.
- Tsai, Ming-Tien and Chia-Mei Shih(2004), "The impact of marketing knowledge among managers on marketing capabilities and business performance", International Journal of Management, 21(4), 524-530.
- Tae-Kyung Sung, Technology Marketing as a Tool of Commercialization: Definition, Strategy, and Process, The Journal of Intellectual Property, 7(3), pp. 104-106, 2012.
- An empirical analysis of the influence of external knowledge network on SMEs' new technology development and technology commercialization capabilities in the perspective of open innovation vol.14, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.149