- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Determinants of Tourist Expenditure on 2013 Gangneung Dano Festival
2013 강릉단오제 관광객의 소비지출 결정요인에 관한 연구
- Jeong, Ug-Yeong (Dept. of Economics and Finance, Kwandong University) ;
- Han, Jin-Young (Dept. of Hotel Management, Kwandong University)
- Received : 2013.10.30
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
This paper analyzes determinants of tourist consumption in the case of 2013 Gangneung Dano Festival, based on the multiple regression model. We set 12 determinants of consumption such as income as explanatory variables and consumption expenditure as a dependent variable. Also Five kinds of categorical consumptions are estimated. Main results are the followings. First, income is the most important factor and shows positive effect in tourist consumption. Second, age and metropolitan area influence consumption positively. Third number of participating day and length of stay also influence consumption positively. Fourth, number of accompanying person shows negative effect on consumption. Fifth, male, married person, and lodge with own expense influence consumption positively. Finally, categorical consumption has its specific determinants distinct from common factors This paper can be applied to invent and implement efficient strategies for development in regional economies and tour industries.
Dano Festival;Multiple Regression Model;Determinants of Consumption;Income;Economic Impacts
- S. H. Kim, H. S. Lee, M. S. Hyun, A study on the expenditure patterns of festival participants using Tobit Model: 2005 Korean alcoholic beverage and rice cake. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Studies. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 21-33, 2005.
- C. K. Lee, T. Y. Seo, J .K. Park, Estimating the economic impact of the 2007 Gyeongju World Culture Expo: survey based regional Input-Output Model. Korean Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 63-79, 2008.
- D. W. Ko, International comparisons on the expenditure behaviors of tourism festival visitors. Journal of Tourism Sciences, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 163-182, 2004.
- D. J. Lee, An Investigation of causality between travel expenditure and macro economic variables. Journal of Tourism Sciences, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 26-38, 1998.
- H. C. Lee, Determinants of visitor expenditure on a local festival: a Tobit analysis. Journal of Tourism Sciences, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 31-46, 2002.
- M. S. Lee, A study on developing travel facility complex based on resort choice factors in the estern mountain area Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 11(5B), pp. 2693-2704, 2009.
- P. T. Long & R. Perdue, The economic impacts of rural festival and special event: Assessing the spatial distribution of expenditure. Journal of Travel Research, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 10-14, 1990.
- C. Mok & T. Iverson, .Expenditure based on segmentation: Taiwanese tourists to Guam. Tourism Management, Vol. 21, pp. 299-305, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(99)00060-6
- W. J. Yang & U. J. Bae, A study on regional competitiveness of travel destination abroad. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 8(3), pp. 1105-1117, 2006.
- V. B. Agarwal & G. R. Yochum, Tourist spending and race of visitors. Journal of Travel Research, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 173-176, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759903800211
- G. Godbey & A. Graefe, Repeat tourism, play, and monetary spending. Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 213-225, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-7383(91)90005-V
- T. L. Henthorme, An analysis of expenditure by cruise passengers in Jamaica. Journal of Travel Research, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 246-250, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728750003800306
- H. J. Kim, Comparative analyzing the economic impact of the tourism industry in Gyeongbuk area and the other areas using the regional Input-Output Model. Korean Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 219-237, 2009.
- H. J. Kim & C. K. Lee, Estimating the economic impact of the 10th PIFF using regional Input-Output Model. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 7-26, 2007.
- M. H. Kim, J. H. Jang, Y. H. Hwang, Travel expenditure structure of domestic tourists traveling with family. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 5-20, 2013.
- S. H. Joo, S. Y. Lee, H. C. Oh, Estimating the economic impact of the Busan Biennale using multi regional Input-Output Model. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 189-202, 2009.
- K. H. Ryu, The correlation of business cycle and tourist expenditure in the case of Korea. Journal of Tourism Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 389-395, 1998.