- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Research on Developing Instructional Design Models for Flipped Learning
플립드 러닝(Flipped Learning) 교수학습 설계모형 탐구
- Lee, Dong Yub (Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation)
- 이동엽 (한국교육과정평가원)
- Received : 2013.10.28
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
An emerging learning method, flipped learning, has gained much interest lately due to its process involving prior study followed by the students' classroom involvement, which direction matches that of the current educational policy that emphasizes self-directed learning. This study investigated the concept of flipped learning and explored ways to develop instructional design models that utilize it. Flipped learning is not a model that has been recently developed, as it uses the format of blended learning with the introduction of a new concept of prior learning that allows students to learn in advance through online lessons and video clips related with the classroom content to be covered. During class time, individualized supplementary or in-depth study is conducted on the basis of the students' prior learning. The main considerations for designing flipped learning are a flexible classroom environment, a shift in learning culture, intentional classroom content, and educators equipped with professional capability. The research proposes the development of instructional design models for flipped learning pursuant to such concept and considerations. Through this research, the concept of flipped learning can be comprehended; furthermore, flipped learning can be utilized more effectively in the teaching and learning environment.
- Garrison, D., & Kanuka, H. Blended learning: Uncovering its transformative potential in higher education. The Internet and Higher Education, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 95-105. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2004.02.001
- Hamdan, N., McKnight, P., McKnight, K., & Arfstrom, K. M. A review of flipped learning. Flipped Learning Network. 2013.
- Woolf, B. P. A roadmap for education technology. Retrieved 4 Oct. 2013 from http://www.coe.uga.edu/itt/ files/2010/12/educ-tech-roadmap-nsf.pdf. 2010.
- Pardo, A., Perez-Sanagustin, M., Hugo, A., Parada, H. A., & Leony, D. Flip with care. Proceedings of SoLAR southern flare conference. Retrieved 27 Oct. 2013 from http://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 232906379_Flip_with_care. 2012.
- Friedman, H., & Friedman, L. Crises in education: Online learning as a solution. Creative Education, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 156-163. 2001.
- Khan, S. The one world schoolhouse: Education reimagined. London: Hodder and Stoughton. 2012.
- Hughes, H. Introduction to flipping the college classroom. In T. Amiel & B. Wilson (Eds.), Proceedings from world conference on educational multimedia, hypermedia and telecommunications 2012 (pp. 2434-2438). Chesapeake: AACE. 2012.
- Bergmann, J., Overmyer, J., & Wilie, B. The flipped class: Myths versus reality. The Daily Riff. Retrieved 26 Oct. 2013 from http://www.thedailyriff.com/ articles/the-flipped-class-conversation-689.php. 2012.
- Talbert, R. Inverted classroom. Colleagues, Vol. 9, No. 1, Article 7. 2012.
- Price, J. Textbook bling: An evaluation of textbook quality and usability in open educational resources versus traditionally published textbooks (Unpublished master's project). Provo: Brigham Young University. 2012.
- Musallam, R.. The effects of screencasting as a multimedia pre-training tool to manage the intrinsic load of chemical equilibrium instruction for advanced high school chemistry students (Doctoral Dissertation, University of San Francisco). 2010.
- Gojak, L. To Flip or Not to Flip: That is Not the Question! National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Retrieved 27 Oct. 2013 from http://www.nctm.org/about/content.aspx?id=34585 2012.
- Davies, R. S., Dean, D. L., & Ball, N. Flipping the classroom and instructional technology integration in a college-level information systems spreadsheet course. Educational Technology Research and Development, Vol. 61, No. 4, pp. 563-580. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-013-9305-6
- Davies, R., & West, R. Technology integration in school settings. In M. Spector, D. Merrill, J. Elen, & M. J. Bishop (Eds.), Handbook of research on educational communications and technology (4th ed.). New York: Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2013.
- Fulton, K. P. 10 reasons to flip. Phi Delta Kappan, Vol. 94, No. 2, pp. 20-24. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/003172171209400205
- Paik, Y. K. Instructional Method and Educational Technology. Seoul: Hakjisa. 2010.
- A Study on Policy for Actualizing the Development Cost Estimation Guidelines of e-Learning Contents in Era of Convergence vol.13, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.49
- A study about a convergence development plan of MOOCs based e-learning in university vol.13, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.9
- Exploring new directions of flipped Learning with a focus on teachers' perceptions vol.14, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.1
- Inscriptions on Bones and Tortoise Carapaces and Digital Age - The View of Digitalization of Ancient Scripts (Hieroglyphic Character) - vol.14, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.17
- A Study on Cases for Application of Flipped Learning in K-12 Education vol.14, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.19
- An Analysis on Application Status of Standard Contract on the e-Learning Content Development Project in Era of Convergence vol.13, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.11
- A Study on Awareness to Effectiveness of the Cost Estimation Guidelines for e-Learning Content Development in Era of Convergence vol.13, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.7
- Predictive power of grit, professor support for autonomy and learning engagement on perceived achievement within the context of a flipped classroom pp.1741-2625, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1469787418762463
- An exploration into the impact of WebQuest-based classroom on EFL learners’ critical thinking and academic writing skills: a mixed-methods study vol.31, pp.5-6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09588221.2018.1449757