- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Exploring relationships among Korean Children's Depression, Smartphone Addiction, and School Life Satisfaction: Focusing on Partial Least Square (PLS) Path Modeling
초등학생의 우울증, 스마트폰 중독 및 학교생활 만족도의 관계에 대한 탐색: Partial Least Square(PLS) 경로모형 분석을 중심으로
- Joo, Jihyuk (Dept. of Journalism & Communication, Far East University)
- 주지혁 (극동대학교 언론홍보학과)
- Received : 2013.10.07
- Accepted : 2013.12.20
- Published : 2013.12.28
The spread of smartphone in Korea causes several side effects and raises concerns. Especially, recently the addiction to smartphone of elementary school children has been paid attention to by their parents, teachers, and so on. After literature review, this research presented hypotheses that depression would affect children's addiction to smartphone positively and school life satisfaction (SLS) negatively, in turn their addiction to smartphone would affect SLS negatively. We employed Partial Least Square (PLS) path modeling to test the hypotheses. We found that all hypotheses were supported. The findings of this study suggest that their families and school authorities should make valid measures to lessen children's depression for preventing addicting to smartphone and, in turn, increasing SLS.
elementary school children;depression;addiction to smartphone;school life satisfaction;PLS path modeling
- C. Grecu, "The new generations and he addictions to technology," European Jornal of Science and Theology, vol. 9, pp. 99-110, 2013.
- K. S. Young, X. D. Yue, and L. Ying, "Prevalance estimates and etiologic models of internet addiction," in Internet Addicition: A Handbook and Guide to Evaluation and Treatment, K. S. Young and C. N. de Arbeau, Eds., ed Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2010, pp. 3-17.
- J. Chai. (2013). One of 100 elementary school 4th grade kids in Seoul is addicted to smartphone. Available: http://kids.hankooki.com/lpage/news/201305/kd20130506160243125630.htm
- K. W. Shin, D. I. Kim, and Y. J. Jeong, "Development of Korean Smartphone Addiction Proneness Scale For Youth and Adults," National Information Society Agency, Seoul2011.
- J. Bae. (2013). Addiction to smartphone makes children's development of brain hesitating. Available: http://article.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=10351161&cloc=olink|article|default
- J. Y. Kang. (2010. July 22). I am holding the smartphone in the toilet, may be addictive? Available: http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=201007212719g&intype=1
- H. S. Hwang, S. Sohn, and Y. J. Choi, "Exploring Factors Affecting Smart-Phone Addiction: Characteristics of Users and Functional Attributes," Korean Jorunal of Broadcasting & Telecommunication Studies, vol. 25, pp. 277-313, 2011.
- D. Hope. (2010. Mar. 8). iPhone can be addicting, says new survey. Available: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/35768107/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/
- S. Y. Yang and Y. S. Park, "A prediction model of cellular phone addiction tendency among adolescents," Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association vol. 43, pp. 1-16, 2005.
- H. J. Jang and K. M. Chae, "The psychological characteristics of adolescents with technological addiction: Cellular phone addiction," Korean Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 11, pp. 839-852, 2006.
- R. W. Larson, M. Raffaelli, M. H. Richards, M. Ham, and L. Jewell, "Ecology of depression in late childhood and early adolescence: A profile of daily states and activities," Journal of Abnormal Psychology, vol. 99, pp. 92-102, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.99.1.92
- B. E. Compas, S. Ey, and K. E. Grant, "Taxonomy, assessment, and diagnosis of depression during Adolescence," Psychological Bulletin, vol. 114, pp. 323-344, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.114.2.323
- D. H. Kim, K. E. Lee, Y. J. Lee, S. H. Cha, S. H. Lim, C. Y. Won, et al., "The Association between Smart Phone Addiction and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder among Some College Students," Journal of Korean Society of Maternal & Child Health, vol. 17, pp. 105-112, 2013. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2013.17.1.105
- J. S. Kim, "Self-esteem, depression and impulsivity of adolescents with the overuse of mobile phone," Master of Education, Depart. of Education Graduate School of Education, Dankook Univ., 2003.
- M. J. Gwag and H. S. Lee, "The characterisitics of trend and addictive inclination in mobile phone use among adolescents," Journal of Human Ecology, vol. 13, pp. 183-205, 2009.
- S. H. Jang and E. J. Oh, "The relationship among cellular phone addiction, depression, anxiety, and shool life satisfaction perceived by students," Journal of Fisheries & Marine Science Education, vol. 21, pp. 259-268, 2009.
- H. Lee, "Exploration the predicting variables affecting the addictive mobile phone use," Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, vol. 22, pp. 133-157, 2008.
- E. S. Huebner, "Preliminary development and validation of a multidimensional life satisfaction scale for children," Psychological Assessment, vol. 6, pp. 149-158, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-3518.104.22.168
- E. S. Huebner, C. Ash, and J. E. Laughlin, "Life experiences, locus of control, and school satisfaction in adolescence," Social Indicators Research, vol. 55, pp. 167-183, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010939912548
- D. H. Kim and J. H. Kim, "Social relations and school satisfaction in South Korea," Social Indicators Research, vol. 112, pp. 105-127, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-012-0042-8
- K. H. Han, "A study of Elementary School Life Satisfaction," Master Thesis, Counseling Psychology, Graduate School of Education, Kwan dong University, 2011.
- J. L. Epstein and J. M. McPartland, "The concpet and measurement of quality of school life," American Educational Research Journal vol. 13, pp. 15-30, 1976. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312013001015
- E. S. Huebner, "Manual for the multidimensional students' life satisfaction scale," Unpublished manuscript, 2001.
- S. U. Jin and S. M. Moon, "A study of well-being and school satisfaction among academically talented students attending a science high school in Korea," gifted Child Quarterly, vol. 50, pp. 169-184, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/001698620605000207
- J. A. Baker, "Teacher-student interaction in urban at-risk classroom: Differential behavior, relationship quality, and student satisfaction with school," Elementary School Journal vol. 100, pp. 57-70, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1086/461943
- M. Takakura, N. Wake, and M. Kobayashi, "The contextual effect of school satisfaction on healthrisk behaviors in Japanese high school students," Journal of School Health, vol. 80, pp. 544-551, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2010.00540.x
- H.-S. Lee and J.-W. Oak, "Effects of Impulsive Behavior, Self Esteem, and Depression on School Adjustment of Adolescents," Journal of The Korean Contents Association, vol. 12, pp. 438-446, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.01.438
- K. M. Hwang, "The relationships among the cell phone usage, anxiety and school adjustment for the middle school student," Master Thesis, Counseling Psychology, Graduate School of Education, Kyungnam University, 2005.
- H. S. Choi, H. K. Lee, and J. Ha, "The influence of smartphone addiction on mental health, campus life and personal relations: Focuing on K university studnets," Journal of the Korean Data & Information Scienece Society, vol. 23, pp. 1005-1015, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.5.1005
- A. T. Beck, Depression: Clinical, Experimental and theoretical aspects. New York: Harper & Row, 1967.
- M. K. Rhee, Y. H. Lee, S. H. Park, C. H. Sohn, Y. C. Chung, S. K. Hong, et al., "A standardization study of Beck Depression Inventory I - Korean version(K-BDI): Reliability and Factor Analysis," Korean Journal of Psychopathology, vol. 4, pp. 77-95, 1995.
- D. L. Bandalos and S. I. Finney, "Item parceling issues in structural equation modeling," in New developments and techniques in structural equation modleing, G. A. Marcoulides, Ed., ed Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2001, pp. 269-296.
- A. W. Meade and C. M. Kroustalis, "Problems of item parceling with CFA tests of measurement invariance of factorsloadings," presented at the 20th Annual conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Los Angeles, CA, 2005, April.
- J. Lee, "Relationships among children's personality types(MMTIC), depression and shool life satisfaction," Master, Counseling psychology, Graduate school of education, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 2001.
- D. Gefen and D. W. Straub, "Consumer trust in B2C e-Commerce and the importance of social presence: Experiments in e-Products and e-Services," Omega, vol. 32, pp. 407-424, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2004.01.006
- M. Hajli, "An integrated model for E-commerce adoption at the customer level with the impact of social commerce," International Journal of Information Science and Management, vol. Special Issue, pp. 77-97, 2012.
- M. Hajli, "Social Commerce Adoption Model," in The UK Academy of Information Systems Conference, University of Oxford, UK, 2012.
- D. Gefen, D. W. Straub, and M. Boudreau, "Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research pratice," Communication of the AIS, vol. 4, pp. 1-78, 2000.
- W. W. Chin, "Issues and opinion on structural equation modeling," MIS Quarterly, vol. 22, pp. vii-xvi, 1998.
- C. M. Ringle, S. Wdnde, and A. Will, "SamrtPLS," 2.0 ed. Hamburg: Universitat Hamburg, 2006.
- W. W. Chin, A. Gopal, and W. D. Salisbury, "Advancing the theroy of adaptive structuration: The developmnet of a scale to measure faithfulness of appropriation," Information Systems Research, vol. 8, pp. 342-367, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.8.4.342
- B. H. Wixom and H. J. Watson, "An empirical investigation of the factors affecting data warehousing," MIS Quarterly, vol. 25, pp. 17-41, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250957
- P. Chwelos, I. Benbasat, and A. S. Dexter, "Research report: Empirical test of an EDI adoption model," information Systems Research, vol. 12, pp. 304-321, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.12.3.304.9708
- Formation of Social relationship through SNS and adolescents' life satisfaction vol.13, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.371
- A Study on Theory of Planned Behavior of Accounting Information Classes in the Digital Convergence Era vol.13, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.169
- The Effect of Internet Usage, Fandom Activities and Sense of Community on Adolescents' Mental Health in the Digital Era vol.14, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.9.349
- Framework for Measuring Dynamic Influence Index & Influence Factors using Social Data on Facebook vol.14, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.10.137
- The Development and Effect Verification of BigBang Group Counseling Program- Focusing on the Process Oriented Psychology vol.14, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.43