- Volume 2 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Dynamic Queue Management for Network Coding in Mobile Ad-hoc Network
- Kim, Byun-Gon (Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Kim, Kwan-Woong (Thunder Technology, Director in Digital Signal Processing Team) ;
- Huang, Wei (School of Computer and Communication engineering, Tianjin University of Technology) ;
- Yu, C. (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, North Carolina State University) ;
- Kim, Yong K. (Dept. of Information and Communication Engineering, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2013.01.29
- Published : 2013.05.31
Network Coding (NC) is a new paradigm for network communication. In network coding, intermediate nodes create new packets by algebraically combining ingress packets and send it to its neighbor node by broadcast manner. NC has rapidly emerged as a major research area in information theory due to its wide applicability to communication through real networks. Network coding is expected to improve throughput and channel efficiency in the wireless multi-hop network. Many researches have been carried out to employ network coding to wireless ad-hoc network. In this paper, we proposed a dynamic queue management to improve coding opportunistic to enhance efficiency of NC. In our design, intermediate nodes are buffering incoming packets to encode queue. We expect that the proposed algorithm shall improve encoding rate of network coded packet and also reduce end to end latency. From the simulation, the proposed algorithm achieved better performance in terms of coding gain and packet delivery rate than static queue management scheme.
Multi-hop wireless network;network coding;MAC;Queue management
- P. A. Chou, Y. Wu, and K. Jain, Practical network coding, Allerton Conf. Commun. Control, Computing, (2003) Oct.
- T. Ho, R. Koetter, M. Medard, D. R. Karger, and M. Effros, The benefits of coding over routing in a randomized setting, IEEE Int. Symposium Inform. Theory, June/July (2003)
- S. Y. R. Li, R. W. Yeung, and N. Cai, Linear network coding, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 49, 2, (2003) https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2002.807487
- R. Koetter and M. Medard, An algebraic approach to network coding, IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, 11, 5, (2003)
- C. Fragouli, Dina Katabi, Athina Markopoulou, Muriel Medard and Hariharan Rahul, Wireless Network Coding: Opportunities & Challenges, Proceeding of IEEE Military Communication Conference, (2007) pp. 1-8.
- R. Ahlswede, Ning Cai, Shuo-Yen Robert Li and Raymond W. Yeung, Network information flow, IEEE Transaction on Information Theory, 4, 46, (2010)
- S. Katti, H. Rahul, W. Hu, D. Katabi, M. Medard, and J. Crowcroft, XORs in the air: Practical wireless network coding, IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, 16, 3, (2008) https://doi.org/10.1109/TNET.2008.918752
- T. Ho, M. Medard, R. Koetter, D. R. Karger, M. Effros, J. Shi, and B. Leong, Linear network coding, IEEE Transaction on Information Theory, 10, 52, (2006)
- P.A Chou, Y. Wu and K. Jain, Practical network coding, Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, Monticello, IL, (2008) Oct.
- C. Fragouli, and E. Soljanin, Information flow decomposition for network coding, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 52, 3, (2006) https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2006.886460
- Network Simulator: NS2.29 available via website http://www.isi.edu/ nsnam.ns/
- LAN MAN Standards Committee of the IEEE CS, IEEE Std 802.11-1997, Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, (1997)