- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Forage Feeding Levels on the Udder Volume, Serum Hormone Level and Lactation Characteristics in Dairy Cows: From Growing to Lactating Phase
Holstein 젖소에서 조사료 급여 수준이 유방크기, 호르몬 및 산유특성에 미치는 영향: 육성기부터 비유기까지
- Lee, Byung-Woo (Colleges of Veterinary Medicine and Institute of Veterinary Science) ;
- Sugathan, Subi (Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Singh, Naresh Kumar (Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Yoon, Sei-Hyung (Grassland & Forage Division, National Institute of Animal Science) ;
- Yoon, Byung-Il (Colleges of Veterinary Medicine and Institute of Veterinary Science)
- 이병우 (강원대학교 수의과대학 및 동물의학종합연구소) ;
- 수비 수가탄 (강원대학교 동물생명과학대학) ;
- 나레시 쿠마 싱 (강원대학교 동물생명과학대학) ;
- 윤세형 (국립축산과학원 초지사료과) ;
- 윤병일 (강원대학교 수의과대학 및 동물의학종합연구소)
- Received : 2013.11.25
- Accepted : 2013.12.10
- Published : 2013.12.31
In the present study, we investigated the effects of high forage diets on the volume of udder, hormone level in blood, and lactation characteristics in the Holstein dairy cow. We divided into two groups; high forage diet [HF, concentrate: forage=4:6 n=41] and low forage diet [LF, 6:4 n=21]. Five cows were selected from each group based on their age for measuring the udder volume and the serum levels of estradiol and progesterone. Lactation characteristics were compared between HF and LF. The udder volume was 2.5 fold larger in HF at early gestation (p<0.01), but no difference was noted afterward. For the hormone levels, no significant difference was found between the groups. In HF, milk yield was significantly increased and maintained high longer, while somatic cell count was approximately 50% lower. Meanwhile, the milk fat content was significantly lower in HF during early lactating phase (p<0.001), but there was no difference thereafter. For milk protein and solid content, and MUN, no differences were found between the groups during lactation. Our results indicated that feeding high forage diets to dairy cows can increase milk yield and quality without notable changes in the udder volume and hormone level.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Bocchinfuso, W.P., Lindzey, J.K., Hewitt, S.C., Clark, J.A., Myers, P.H., Cooper, R. and Korach, K.S. 2000. Induction of mammary gland development in estrogen receptor-alpha knockout mice. Endocrinology. 141:2982-2994. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo.141.8.7609
- Capuco, A.V., Ellis, S., Wood, D.L., Akers, R.M. and Garrett, W. 2002. Postnatal mammary ductal growth: three-dimensional imaging of cell proliferation, effects of estrogen treatment, and expression of steroid receptors in prepubertal calves. Tissue & Cell. 34:143-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-8166(02)00024-1
- Chalupa, W., O'Dell, G.D., Kutches, A.J. and Lavker, R. 1970. Supplemental corn silage or baled hay for correction of milk fat depressions produced by feeding pellets as the sole forage. Journal of Dairy Science. 53:208-214. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(70)86181-1
- Clark, J.H. and Davis, C.L. 1983. Future improvement of milk production; potential for nutritional improvement. Journal of Animal Science. 57:750-764. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.573750x
- Cole, J.B., Null, D.J. and Vanraden, P.M. 2009. Best prediction of yields for long lactations. Journal of Dairy Science. 92:1796-1810. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0976
- Connor, E.E., Meyer, M.J., Li, R.W., Van Amburgh, M.E., Boisclair, Y.R. and Capuco, A.V. 2007. Regulation of gene expression in the bovine mammary gland by ovarian steroids. Journal of Dairy Science. 90 Suppl 1:E55-65. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-466
- Ji, D.H., Lee, B.H., Peng, J.L., Najad, J.G. and Sung, K.I. 2013. 11th World Conference on Animal Production. pp. 257.
- Ferrell, C.L, Garrett, W.N. and Hinman, N. 1976. Growth development and composition of the udder and gravid uterus of beef heifers during pregnancy. Journal of Animal Science. 42:1477-1489. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1976.4261477x
- Grant, D.R. and Patel, P.R. 1980. Changes of Protein Composition of Milk by Ratio of Roughage to Concentrate. Journal of Dairy Science. 63:756-761. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)83004-9
- Hoover, W.H. 1986. Chemical factors involved in ruminal fiber digestion. Journal of Dairy Science. 69:2755-2766. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80724-X
- Knight, C.H. 2000. The importance of cell division in udder development and lactation. Livestock Production Science. 66:169-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00224-4
- Lee, B.W., Kim, Y.H., Jeon, B.S., Singh, N.K., Kim, W.H., Kim, M.J. and Yoon, B.I. 2012. Expression of ErbB receptors in the prepubertal and pubertal virgin mammary glands of dairy cows. Korean Journal of Veterinary Research. 52:269-273.
- Lee, B.H., Ji, D.H., Peng, J.L., Najad, J.G. and Sung, K.I. 2013. 11th World Conference on Animal Production. pp. 257
- Lydon, J.P., Sivaraman, L. and Conneely, O.M. 2000. A reappraisal of progesterone action in the mammary gland. Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia. 5:325-338. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009555013246
- Macciotta, N.P., Vicario, D. and Cappio-Borlino, A. 2005. Detection of different shapes of lactation curve for milk yield in dairy cattle by empirical mathematical models. Journal of Dairy Science. 88:1178-1191. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72784-3
- McNally, S. and Martin, F. 2011. Molecular regulators of pubertal mammary gland development. Annals of Medicine. 43:212-234. https://doi.org/10.3109/07853890.2011.554425
- Pollott, G.E. 2000. A biological approach to lactation curve analysis for milk yield. Journal of Dairy Science. 83:2448-2458. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)75136-8
- Sheffield, L.G. 1988. Organization and growth of mammary epithelia in the mammary gland fat pad. Journal of Dairy Science. 71:2855-2874. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79881-1
- Shyamala, G. 1997. Roles of estrogen and progesterone in normal mammary gland development insights from progesterone receptor null mutant mice and in situ localization of receptor. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. 8:34-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1043-2760(96)00207-X
- Silberstein, G.B., Van Horn, K., Shyamala, G. and Daniel, C.W. 1994. Essential role of endogenous estrogen in directly stimulating mammary growth demonstrated by implants containing pure antiestrogens. Endocrinology. 134:84-90. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo.134.1.8275973
- Smith, N.E. 1976. Maximizing Income over Feed Costs: Evaluation of Production Response Relationships. Journal of Dairy Science. 59:1193-1199. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(76)84344-5
- Smith, K.L and Schanbacher, F.L. 1973. Hormone induced lactation in the bovine. I. Lactational performance following injections of 17-estradiol and progesterone. Journal of Dairy Science. 56:738-743. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(73)85243-9
- Spahr, S.L. 1977. Optimum Rations for Group Feeding. Journal of Dairy Science. 60:1337-1344. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(77)84031-9
- Sternlicht, M.D. 2006. Key stages in mammary gland development: the cues that regulate ductal branching morphogenesis. Breast Cancer Research. 8:201. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr1368
- Sudweeks, E., Ely, L., Mertens, D. and Sisk, L. 1981. Assessing Minimum Amounts and Form of Roughages in Ruminant Diets: Roughage Value Index System. Journal of Animal Science. 53:1406-1411. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5351406x
- Voelker, J.A., Burato, G.M. and Allen, M.S. 2002. Effects of pretrial milk yield on responses of feed intake, digestion, and production to dietary forage concentration. Journal of Dairy Science. 85:2650-2661. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74350-6
- Walker, V.R. and Korach, K.S. 2004. Estrogen receptor knockout mice as a model for endocrine research. Institute for Laboratory Animal Research Journal. 45:455-461. https://doi.org/10.1093/ilar.45.4.455
- Whitlock, L.A., Schingoethe, D.J., Hippen, A.R., Kalscheur, K.F. and AbuGhazaleh, A.A. 2003. Milk production and composition from cows fed high oil or conventional corn at two forage concentrations. Journal of Dairy Science. 86:2428-2437. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73837-5
- 낙농진흥회, 2013. 유대조견표.
- 농림수산검역검사본부, 2011. 원유의 위생등급기준. 농림수산검역검사본부 고시 제2011-32호.
- 농림수산식품부, 2011. 조사료증산대책. pp. 3.
- 농협중앙회, 2013, 2012년도 한국 유우군 능력검정 사업 보고서, pp. 76
- 축산과학원, 2007, 한국사양표준 젖소, 발간등록번호 11-1390271-000105-13. pp. 192-193.