- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Feeding Levels of Concentrate on the Growth, Feed Availability and Economic Evaluation in Feeds Based on Rice-straw of Growing Black Goats
볏짚 위주 사양 시 육성 흑염소의 농후사료 급여 수준이 발육, 사료이용성 및 경제성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Sang Woo ;
- Kim, Myeong Jik ;
- Kim, Kwan Woo ;
- Kim, Dong Hoon ;
- Kim, Young-Sin ;
- Kim, Hyun ;
- Suh, Sang Won ;
- Park, Seong Bok
- Received : 2013.10.22
- Accepted : 2013.11.20
- Published : 2013.12.31
This study investigates the effect of a feed concentrate on the growth performance, feed requirement, and rearing expenses of growing black goats. Forty female growing black goats were divided into four groups and fed rice straw (ad libitum) mixed with different levels of the feed concentrate: T1 (1.5%), T2 (1.8%), T3 (2.1%), and T4 (0%, control). The average daily weight gain (body weight per day) was as follows: T1 < T2 < T3 < T4 (50.23, 60.37, 71.46 and 98.90 g/day, respectively) (p<0.05). The intake of rice straw decreased significantly with increase in the concentrate level (p<0.05). Rearing expenses amounted to 46,704, 49,998, 54,701, and 74,613 won for feed concentrate levels of 1.5%, 1.8%, 2.1%, and ad libitum, respectively. Increase in feed concentrate levels led to an increase in rearing expenses. In conclusion, a concentrate level of 2.1% was determined to be idea for a rice-straw-based feed for growing black goats.
Growth;Feed availability;Economic evaluation;Growing black goat
- Ahn, B.H., Lee, B.O. and Kwack, J.H. 1991. Effect of Energy Levels on Performance of Korean Native Goat. Korean Journal of Animal Nutrition and Feed. 15:321-329.
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16TH ed. Association of Offcial Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- Choi, S.H. and Choi C.Y. 2007. Black goat breeding.
- Choi, S.H., Hwangbo, S., Kim, S.W., Sang, B.D., Kim, Y.K. and Jo, I.H. 2006. Effects of Total Mixed Ration with Wet Brewer's Grain on the Performance and Nutrient Utilization in Castrated Korean Black Goats. Journal of The Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 26:199-206. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2006.26.4.199
- Duncan, B. D. 1955. Multiple Range and Multiple F test. Biometrics. 11:1-10. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Goering, H.K. and Van Soest, P.K. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis. USDA Agric. Handbook No. 379: Washington, D.C.
- Hwangbo, S., Jo, I.H., Song, K.J. and Lee, S.H. 2007. Effects of Dietary Probiotics on Feed Intakes, Nutrient Digestibility and Nitrogen Retention in Korean Black Goats Fed Two Diets Differing in Forage to Concentrate Ratios. Korean Journal of organic agriculture. 15:195-205.
- Hwangbo, S., Jo, I.H., Lee, S.H. and Kim, S.K. 2006. Effect of Acanthopanax Senticosus Leaves Supplementation on Performance, Nutrient Digestibility and Blood Characteristics in Korean Black Goats. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 26:239-248. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2006.26.4.239
- Jago, B. 1999. Feral goat (Capra hircus) in Queensland. In Pest status review series- land protection (p.2). Department of Natural Resource and Mines. QLD Government.
- Jeong, C.H., Seo, K.I. and Shin, K.H. 2006. Effects of Fermented Grape Feeds on Pyhsico-Chemical Properties of Korean Goat Meat. Journal of The Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 35:145-149. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.2.145
- Jo, I.H. 2002. Feeding and Management of organic black goat. Gyeongsangbuk-do Agriculture research & Extension services.
- Kim, S.W., Yoon, S.H., Kim, J.H., Ko, Y.G., Kim, D.H., Kang, G.H., Kim, Y.S., Lee, S.M. and Suh, S.W. 2012. Effects of Feeding Levels of Concentrate on the Growth, Carcass Characteristics and Economic Evaluation in Feeds Based on Rice-straw of Korean Black Goats. Journal of the Korean Society of Grassland and Forage Science. 32:429-436. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.4.429
- Lippke, H. 1980. Forage characteristics related to intake, digestibility and gain by ruminants. Journal of Animal Science. 50:952-961. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.505952x
- Lu, C.D. and Potchoiba. 1988. Milk feeding and weaning of goat kids. Small Ruminant Research. 1:105-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(88)90025-9
- Thompson, J., Riethmuller, J., Kelly, D., Boyd-Law, S. and Miller, E. 1999. Feral goat management in South-West Queensland-Final Report to the Bureau of Rural Sciences. Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Mines, Brisbane.
- SAS Institute Inc 2002 SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 8.2 SAS Institute Inc., Cary Norh Carolina USA.
- Van Niekerk, W.A. and Casey, N.H. 1988. The Boer goat. II. Growth, nutrient requirements, carcass and meat quality. Small Rumin. Res. 1:355-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(88)90061-2
- Yami, A. and Merkel, R.C. 2008. Sheep and Goat Production Handbook for Ethiopia. Ethiopia Sheep and Goat productivity Improvement Program. pp. 103-160.
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 2011. Roughage product and utilization technology textbook.
- Song, H.B., Jo, I.H., Jeon, M.J., Park, Y.G., Hong, K.C., Park, N.C., Do, J.C. and Lim, H.S. 1999. Study on improve the income of farm of goat breeding. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청