- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Arsenic Sorption on Manganese Slag
망간슬래그의 비소에 대한 수착특성 연구
- Received : 2013.10.29
- Accepted : 2013.12.03
- Published : 2013.12.31
Arsenic contamination may be brought about by a variety of natural and anthropogenic causes. Among diverse naturally-occurring chemical speciations of arsenic, trivalent (As(III), arsenite) and pentavalent (As(V), arsenate) forms have been reported to be the most predominant ones. It has been well known that the behavior of arsenic is chiefly affected by aluminum, iron, and manganese oxides. For this reason, this study was initiated to evaluate the applicability of manganese slag (Mn-slag) containing high level of Mn, Si, and Ca as an efficient sorbent of arsenic. The main properties of Mn-slag as a sorbent were investigated and the sorption of each arsenic species onto Mn-slag was characterized from the aspects of equilibrium as well as kinetics. The specific surface area and point of zero salt effect (PZSE) of Mn-slag were measured to be
manganese slag;trivalent arsenic (arsenite);pentavalent arsenic (arsenate);sorption
- Ahn, J.S., Kim, J.-Y., Chon, C.-M., and Moon, H.-S. (2003) Mineralogical and chemical characterization of arsenic solid phases in weathered mine tailings and their leaching potential. Economic and Environmental Geology, 36, 27-38 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Aquino, A.J.A., Tunega, D., Haberhauer, G., Gerzabek, M.H., and Lischka, H. (2008) Acid-base properties of a goethite surface model: A theoretical view. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 72, 3587-3602. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2008.04.037
- Bai, B., Hankins, N.P., Hey, M.J., and Kingman, S.W. (2004) In situ mechanistic study of SDS adsorption on hematite for optimized froth flotation. Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research, 43, 5326-5338. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie034307t
- Bothe, J.V. and Brown, P.W. (1999) Arsenic immobilization by calcium arsenate formation. Environmental Science & Technology, 33, 3806-3811. https://doi.org/10.1021/es980998m
- Carrasco, N., Kretzchmar, R., Pesch, M.-L., and Kraemer, S.M. (2007) Low concentration of surfactants enhance siderophore-promoted dissolution of goethite. Environmental Science & Technology, 37, 3633-3638.
- Choi, S.-W., Kim V., Chang W.-S., and Kim, E.-Y. (2007) The present situation of production and utilization of steel slag in korea and other countries. Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, 19, 28-33(in Korean with English abstract).
- Du, Q., Sun, Z., Forsling, W., and Tang, H. (1997) Acid-base properties of aqueous illite surfaces. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 187, 221-231. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.1996.4631
- He, Y.T. and Traina, S.J. (2005) Cr(VI) reduction and immobilization by magnetite under alkaline pH conditions: The role of passivation. Environmental Science & Technology, 39, 4499-4504. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0483692
- Inskeep, W.P., McDermott, T.R., and Fendorf, S. (2002) Arsenic (V)/(III) cycling in soil and natural waters: chemical and microbiological processes. In: Franken- berger, W. T., Jr. (ed.), Environmental Chemistry of Arsenic, Marcel Dekker, New York, 183-215.
- Jain, A., Raven, K.P., and Loeppert, R.H. (1999) Arsenite and arsenate adsorption on ferrihydrite : Surface charge reduction and net OH- release stoichiometry. Environmental Science & Technology, 33, 1179-1184. https://doi.org/10.1021/es980722e
- Jeong, H.S., Lee, W.C., Cho, H.G., and Kim, S.-O. (2008) Study on adsorption characteristics of arsenic on magnetite. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 21, 227-237 (in Korean with English abstract).
Jonsson, C.M., Persson, P., Sjoberg, S., and Loring, J.S. (2008) Adsorption of glyphosphate on goethite(
$\alpha$-FeOOH): Surface complexation modeling combining spectroscopic and adsorption data. Environmental Science & Technology, 42, 2464-2469. https://doi.org/10.1021/es070966b
- Jung, M.C. (2005) Remediation of acid mine drainage from an abandoned coal mine using steel mill slag, cow manure and limestone. Journal of Korean Society of Soil and Ground Water Environmental, 10, 16-23 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Jung, Y.I., Lee, W.C., Cho, H.G., Yun, S.T., and Kim, S.-O. (2008) Adsorption of arsenic onto two-line ferrihydrite. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 21, 227-237 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, E.-H., Rhee, S.-S., Lee, G.-H., Kim, Y.-W., Park, H.-B. and Oh, M.-H. (2011) Assessment of the sorption characteristics of cadmium onto steelmaking slag in simulated sea water using batch experiment. Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, 27, 43-50 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, S.H., Lee, W.C., Cho, H.G., and Kim, S.-O. (2012) Characterization of arsenic adsorption onto hematite. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 25, 197-210 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2012.25.4.197
- Kim, S.-O., Lee, W.C., Jeong, H.S., and Cho, H.G. (2009) Adsorption of arsenic on goethite. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 22, 177-189 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kong, M.H., Kim, Y., and Roh, Y. (2011) Geochemical and mineralogical characterization of arseniccontaminated soil at Chonam gold mine, Gwangyang. Econ. Economic and Environmental Geology, 44, 203-215 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2011.44.3.203
- Kraepiel, A.M.L., Keller, K., and Morel, F.M.M. (1998) On the acid-base chemistry of permanently charged minerals. Environmental Science & Technology, 32, 2829-2838. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9802899
- Lee, G.-H., Kim, E.-H., Park, J.-B., and Oh, M.-H. (2008) Estimation of the removal capacity for cadmium and calculation of minimum reaction time of BOF slag. Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, 27, 5-12 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2011.27.10.005
- Lee, M.H. and Jeon, J.H. (2010) Study for the stabilization of arsenic in the farmland soil by using steel making slag and limestone. Journal of the Korean Economic and Environmental Geology, 43, 305-314 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, S.E., Neue, H.U., Park, J.K., and Lim, S.H. (1993) Comparison of the ion adsorption method, potentiometric titration, and backtitration technique for surface charge measurement in Ultisol, Alfisol, and Inceptisol, Korea Journal of Soil Science & Fertilizer, 26, 160-171 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, W.C., Kim, Y.-H., Cho H.G., and Kim, S.-O. (2010) Characterization on the behavior of heavy metals and arsenic in the weathered tailings of Songcheon mine. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 23, 125-139 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, W.C., Choi, S.H., Cho H.G., and Kim, S.-O. (2011) X-ray absorption spectroscopy study on surface interaction of arsenite onto two-line ferrihydrite at pHs 4 and 10. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 24, 73-82 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2011.24.2.073
- Lee, W.C., Jeong H.S., Kim, J.Y., and Kim, S.-O. (2009) Study on adsorption features of arsenic onto lepidocrocite. Korea Society of Economic and Environmental Geology, 42, 95-105 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lowry, G.V. and Johnson, K.M. (2004) Congener-specific dechlorination of dissolved PCBs by microscale and nanoscale zerovalent iron in a water/methanol solution, Environmental Science & Technology, 38, 5208-5216. https://doi.org/10.1021/es049835q
- Mamindy-Pajany, Y., Hurel, C., Marmier, N., and Romeo, M. (2009) Arsenic adsorption onto hematite and goethite. Comptes Rendus Chimie, 12, 876-881. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crci.2008.10.012
- Morin, G. and Calas, G. (2006) Arsenic in soil, mine tailings, and former industrial site. Elements, 2, 97-101. https://doi.org/10.2113/gselements.2.2.97
- Nielsen, U.G., Paik, Y., Julmis, K., Schoonen, M.A.A., Reeder, R.J., and Grey, C.P. (2005) Investigating sorption on iron-oxyhydroxide soil minerals by solid-state NMR spectroscopy: A 6Li MAS NMR study of adsorption and adsorption on goethite. Journal of Physical Chemistry B., 109, 18310-18315. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp051433x
- Nowack, B., Lutzenkirchen, J., Behra, P., and Sigg, L. (1996) Modeling the adsorption of metal-EDTA complexes onto oxides. Environmental Science & Technology, 30, 2397-2405. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9508939
- Nriagu, J. (2002) Arsenic poisoning through the ages. In: Frankenberger, W.T., Jr. (ed.), Environmental chemistry of arsenic, Marcel Dekker, New York, 211-222.
- Palfy, P., Vircikova, E., and Molnar, L. (1999) Processing of arsenic waste by precipitation and solidification. Waste Management, 19, 55-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(99)00014-8
- Park, K.-S., Kim. H.-S., and Chun, H.D. (2006) Application of steel-making (BOF) slag for in-situ remediation of subaqueous contaminated sediments. Korean National Commission on Irrigation and Drainage, 13, 310-322 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Ponder, S.M., Darab, J.G., and Mallouk, T.E. (2000) Remediation of Cr(VI) and Pb(II) aqueous solutions using supported, nanoscale zero-valent iron, Environmental Science & Technology, 34, 2564-2569. https://doi.org/10.1021/es9911420
- Raven, K.P., Jain, A., and Loeppert, R.H. (1998) Arsenite and arsenate adsorption on ferrigydrite: Kinetics, equilibrium, and adsorption envelopes. Environmental Science & Technology, 32, 344-349. https://doi.org/10.1021/es970421p
- Rietra, R.P.J.J., Hiemstra, T., and van Riemsdijk, W.H. (2001) Interaction between calcium and phosphate adsorption on goethite. Environmental Science & Technology, 35, 3369-3374. https://doi.org/10.1021/es000210b
- Roman-Ross, G., Cuello, G.J., Turrilas, X., Fernandez-Martinez, A., and Charlet, L. (2006) Arsenite sorption and co-precipitation with calcite. Chemical geology, 233, 328-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2006.04.007
- Schwertmann U. and Cornell R.M. (2000) Iron oxides in the laboratory: Preparation and characterization. Wiley-VCH Publishers, New York, U.S.A. 188p.
- Singh, T.S. and Pant, K.K. (2006) Solidification/stabilization of arsenic containing solid wastes using portland cement, fly ash and polymeric materials. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 131, 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.06.046
- Singh, U. and Uehara, G. (1998) Electrochemistry of the double layer: Principles and applications to soils. In: Sparks, D.L. (ed.), Soil physical chemistry, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 1-56.
- Smedley, P.L. and Kinniburgh, D.G. (2002) A review of the source, behaviour and distribution of arsenic on natural water. Applied Geochemistry, 17, 517-568. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-2927(02)00018-5
- Son, J.H., Roh, H., Lee, S.Y., Kim, G.H., Park, J.K., Yang, J.K., and Chang, Y.Y. (2009) Stabilization of heavy metal contaminated paddy soils near abandoned mine with steel slag and CaO. Journal of Korean Soil and Groundwater Environmental, 14, 78-86 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Sparks, D.L. (1999) Kinetics and mechanisms of chemical reactions at the soil/mineral water interface. In: Sparks, D.L. (ed.), Soil physical chemistry, CRC press, Boca Raton, Florida, 135-191.
- Sparks, D.L. (2003) Environmental soil chemistry. Academic Press, San Diego, California, 207-244.
- Stumm, W. (1992) Chemistry of the solid-water interface. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 428p.
- Vaughan, D.J. (2006) Arsenic. Elements, 2, 71-75. https://doi.org/10.2113/gselements.2.2.71
- Williams, J.W. and Silver, S. (1984) Bacterial resistance and detoxification of heavy metals. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 6, 530-537. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0229(84)90081-4
- Yang, J.E., Park, D.S., and Han, D.S. (1995) Comparative assessment of the half-lives of benfuresate and oxolinic acid estimated from kinetic models under field soil condition. Korea Journal of Environmental Agriculture, 14, 302-311, (in Korean with English abstract).
- Marek, K. (2009) pH-dependent surface charging and points of zero charge. IV. Update and new approach. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 337, 439-448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2009.04.072
- Phosphate recovery from livestock wastewater using iron oxide nanotubes vol.114, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2016.06.016
Supported by : 한국연구재단