- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Policy Effects of Secondhand Smoke Exposure in Public Places in the Republic of Korea: Evidence from PM2.5 levels and Air Nicotine Concentrations
- Park, Eun Young (National Cancer Control Institute) ;
- Lim, Min Kyung (National Cancer Control Institute) ;
- Yang, Wonho (Department of Occupational Health, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Yun, E Hwa (National Cancer Control Institute) ;
- Oh, Jin-Kyoung (National Cancer Control Institute) ;
- Jeong, Bo Yoon (National Cancer Control Institute) ;
- Hong, Soon Yeoul (National Cancer Control Institute) ;
- Lee, Do-Hoon (Hospital, National Cancer Center) ;
- Tamplin, Steve (Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Objective: The purpose of this study was to evaluate secondhand smoke (SHS) exposure inside selected public places to provide basic data for the development and promotion of smoke-free policies. Methods: Between March and May 2009, an SHS exposure survey was conducted.
- Hughes SC, Corcos IA, Hofstetter CR, et al (2008b). Secondhand smoke exposure among nonsmoking adults in Seoul, Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 247-52.
- Jousilahti P, Helakorpi S (2002). Prevalence of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke at work and at home--15-year trends in Finland. Scand J Work Environ Health, 28, 16-20.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2002). IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans: Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- King BA, Mirza SA, Babb SD (2013). A cross-country comparison of secondhand smoke exposure among adults: findings from the Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS). Tob Control, 22, e5. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2012-050582
- Lee BE, Ha EH (2011). Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke among South Korean adults: a cross-sectional study of the 2005 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Environ Health, 10, 29. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-069X-10-29
- Levy DT, Cho SI, Kim YM, et al (2010). SimSmoke model evaluation of the effect of tobacco control policies in Korea: the unknown success story. Am J Public Health, 100, 1267-73. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.166900
- Mannino DM, Siegel M, Rose D, et al (1997). Environmental tobacco smoke exposure in the home and worksite and health effects in adults: results from the 1991 National Health Interview Survey. Tob Control, 6, 296-305. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.6.4.296
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2010). Action for Smoke Free Korea 2010.
- Navas-Acien A, Peruga A, Breysse P, et al (2004). Secondhand tobacco smoke in public places in Latin America, 2002-2003. JAMA, 291, 2741-5. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.291.22.2741
- Oberg M, Jaakkola MS, Woodward A, et al (2011). Worldwide burden of disease from exposure to second-hand smoke: a retrospective analysis of data from 192 countries. Lancet, 377, 139-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61388-8
- Stillman F, Navas-Acien A, Ma J, et al (2007). Second-hand tobacco smoke in public places in urban and rural China. Tob Control, 16, 229-34. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2006.018333
- World Health Organization (2006). WHO Air quality guidelinesfor particulate matter, ozone, nitrogen dioxide and sulfur dioxide.Global update 2005. .
- World Health Organization (2011). WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2011:Warning About the Dangers of Tobacco..
- Barnoya J, Mendoza-Montano C, Navas-Acien A (2007). Secondhand smoke exposure in public places in Guatemala: comparison with other Latin American countries. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 16, 2730-5. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-0229
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: a report of the Surgeon General. 2006.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention(Republic of Korea). Korea Health Statistics2010: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. 2011.
- Gu D, Wu X, Reynolds K, et al (2004). Cigarette smoking and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke in China: the international collaborative study of cardiovascular disease in Asia. Am J Public Health, 94, 1972-6. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.94.11.1972
- Hammond SK, Leaderer BP (1987). A diffusion monitor to measure exposure to passive smoking. Environ Sci Technol, 21, 494-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00159a012
- Hughes SC, Corcos IA, Hofstetter CR, et al (2008a). Children's exposure to secondhand smoke at home in Seoul, Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 491-5.
- National Toxicology Program. Twelfth Report on Carcinogens. Research Triangle Park, NC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences 2011.
- Implementation of Smoke-free Legislation in Malaysia: Are Adolescents Protected from Respiratory Health Effects? vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4815
- Canola Oil Influence on Azoxymethane-induced Colon Carcinogenesis, Hypertriglyceridemia and Hyperglycemia in Kunming Mice vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2477
- Compliance with Smoke-Free Policies in Korean Bars and Restaurants in California: a Descriptive Analysis vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1083
- Influence of Maternal Environmental Tobacco Smoke Exposure Assessed by Hair Nicotine Levels on Birth Weight vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.3029
- Brand Cigarillos — A Cheap and Less Harmful Alternative to Cigarettes? Particulate Matter Emissions Suggest Otherwise vol.12, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph120100428
- Mindfulness, Physical Activity and Avoidance of Secondhand Smoke: A Study of College Students in Shanghai vol.12, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph120810106