- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Significance of Peripheral Blood Flow Cytometry Parameters in Patients with Non-Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Engin, Huseyin (Department of Medical Oncology, School of Medicine, Bulent Ecevit University) ;
- Bilir, Cemil (Department of Medical Oncology, School of Medicine, Bulent Ecevit University) ;
- Tekin, Ishak Ozel (Department of Immunology, Bulent Ecevit University)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Background: Immune functions and their relation to prognosis in breast cancer patients have become areas of great interest in recent years. Correlations between survival outcomes and peripheral blood flow cytometry parameters are therefore of interest. Here we focused on patients with non-metastatic breast cancer (BC). Materials and Methods: A total of 29 patients with pathological confirmed breast carcinoma and flow cytometry data were assessed for overall survival (OS) and progression free survival (PFS). Results: The median age of the patients was 54 years (range, 29-83). Multivariate analysis revealed that OS was significantly associated with absolute cytotoxic T cell count (95%CI, coef 2.26, p=0.035), tumor size (95%CI, coef -14.5, p 0.004), chemotherapy (95%CI, coef 12.9, p 0.0001), MFI of CD4 (95%CI, coef -5.1, P 0.04), MFI of HLA DR (95%CI, coef -5.9, p 0.008) and tumor grade (95%CI, coef -13, P 0.049) with R-Sq(adj)=67%. Similar findings were obtained for PFS. Conclusions: OS and PFS were significantly associated with tumor grade, tumor size, chemotherapy, MFI of CD4, HLA DR and absolute cytotoxic T cell count. The study revealed that MFI of basic CD markers and absolute cytotoxic T cell number may be a prognostic factors in women with non-metastatic BC.
- Alkhateeb AA, Han B, Connor JR (2013). Ferritin stimulates breast cancer cells through an iron-independent mechanism and is localized within tumor-associated macrophages. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 137, 733-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-2405-x
- Berry DA, Cronin KA, Plevritis SK, et al (2005). Effect of screening and adjuvant therapy on mortality from breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 353, 1784-92. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa050518
- Blake-Mortimer JS, Sephton SE, Carlson RW, Stites D, Spiegel D (2004). Cytotoxic T lymphocyte count and survival time in women with metastatic breast cancer. Breast J, 10, 195-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2004.21290.x
- Cho Y, Miyamoto M, Kato K, et al (2003). CD4+ and CD8+ T cells cooperate to improve prognosis of patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res, 63, 1555-9.
- Curigliano G, Spitaleri G, Dettori M, et al (2007). Vaccine immunotherapy in breast cancer treatment: Promising, but still early. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 7, 1225-41. https://doi.org/10.1586/14737126.96.36.1995
- Domschke C, Schuetz F, Ge Y, et al (2009) Intratumoral cytokines and tumor cell biology determine spontaneous breast cancerspecific immune responses and their correlation to prognosis. Cancer Res, 69, 8420-28. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-1627
- Effros RB (2004). Replicative senescence of CD8+ T cells: potential effects on cancer immune surveillance and immunotherapy. Cancer Immunol Immunother, 53, 925-33.
- Emens LA, Reilly RT, Jaffee EM (2004). Augmenting the potency of breast cancer vaccines: Combined modality immunotherapy. Breast Dis, 20, 13-24. https://doi.org/10.3233/BD-2004-20103
- Fehervari Z, Sakaguchi S (2004). CD4+ Tregs and immune control. J Clin Invest, 114, 1209-17. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI200423395
- Gokmen NM, Gokmen E (2011). Analysis of lymphocyte subtypes by flow cytometry after adjuvant chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer. Ege J Med, 50, 33-8.
- Hinkel A, Tso CL, Gitlitz BJ, et al (2000). Immunomodulatory dendritic cells generated from nonfractionated bulk peripheral blood mononuclear cell cultures induce growth of cytotoxic T cells against renal cell carcinoma. J Immunother, 23, 83-93. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002371-200001000-00011
- Kagi D, Ledermann B, Burki K (1994). Cytotoxicity mediated by T cells and natural killer cells is greatly impaired in perforin-deficient mice. Nature, 369, 31-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/369031a0
- Kagi D, Ledermann B, Burki K (1996). Molecular mechanisms of lymphocyte-mediated cytotoxicity and their role in immunological protection and pathogenesis in vivo. Annu Rev Immunol, 14, 207-32. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.immunol.14.1.207
- Leong PP, Mohammad R, Ibrahim N, et al (2006). Phenotyping of lymphocytes expressing regulatory and effector markers in infiltrating ductal carcinoma of the breast. Immunol Lett, 102, 229-36 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imlet.2005.09.006
- Liang J, Wang C, Chang K (1993). Circulating intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and lymphocyte subsets involved in immune response of breast cancer. Sheng Wu Chi Mien Hsuen Tsa Chih, 26, 1-5.
- Matsuura K, Yamaguchi Y, Ueno H, et al (2006). Maturation of dendritic cells and T-cell responses in sentinel lymph nodes from patients with breast carcinoma. Cancer, 106, 1227-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21729
- Melichar B, Touskova M, Dvorak J, et al (2001). Peripheral blood leukocyte phenotype in patients with breast cancer: Effect of doxorubicin/paclitaxel combination chemotherapy. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol, 23, 163-73. https://doi.org/10.1081/IPH-100103857
- Rakha EA, El-Sayed ME, Lee AH, et al (2008). Prognostic significance of Nottingham histologic grade in invasive breast carcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 26, 3153-58. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.5986
- Rey-Ferro M, Castano R, Orozco O, Serna A, Moreno A (1997). Nutritional and immunologic evaluation of patients with gastric cancer before and after surgery. Nutrition, 13, 878-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(97)00269-4
- Scheuring UJ, Sabzevari H, Theofilopoulos AN (2002). Proliferative arrest and cell cycle regulation in CD8+CD28− versus CD8+CD28+ T cells. Hum Immunol, 63, 1000-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0198-8859(02)00683-3
- Schmidt M, Bohm D, von Torne C, et al (2008). The humoral immune system has a key prognostic impact in node-negative breast cancer. Cancer Res, 68, 5405-13. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-5206
- Schwartz GF, Hughes KS, Lynch HT, et al (2008). Proceedings of the international consensus conference on breast cancer risk, genetics, & risk management. Cancer, 113, 2627-37. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23903
- Shen Y, Qu QX, Zhu YB, et al (2012). Analysis of Cd8+Cd28-T-suppressor cells in gastric cancer patients. J Immunoassay and Immunochem, 33, 149-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/15321819.2011.609575
- Shu S, Plautz G, Krauss J (1997). Tumor immunology. JAMA, 278, 1972-81. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1997.03550220178023
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, et al (2011). Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 212. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20121
- Simpson PT, Reis-Filho JS, Gale T, Lakhani SR (2005). Molecular evolution of breast cancer. J Pathol, 205, 248-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1691
- Van der Hage JA, Mieog JS, van de Velde CJ, et al (2011). Impact of established prognostic factors and molecular subtype in very young breast cancer patients: pooled analysis of four EORTC randomized controlled trials. Breast Cancer Res, 13, 68. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr2908
- Wang YX, Ruan CP, Li L, Shi JH, Kong XT (1999). Clinical significance of changes of perioperative T cell and expression of its activatedantigen in colorectal cancer patients. World J Gastroenterol, 5, 181-2. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v5.i2.181
- Lack of Prognostic Value of Blood Parameters in Patients Receiving Adjuvant Radiotherapy for Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4225
- Relationship of Body Mass Index with Prognosis in Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Adjuvant Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4233
- F-FDG SPECT with Serum Procalcitonin for Identification of Etiology in Tumor Patients with Fever of Unknown Origin vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.683
- Usefulness of lymphocyte-to-monocyte, neutrophil-to-monocyte and neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratios as prognostic markers in breast cancer patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy pp.1699-3055, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-017-1732-0