- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Novel Approach to Cloning and Expression of Human Thymidylate Synthase
- Lv, Ying-Tao (College of Chemical Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology) ;
- Du, Pei-Juan (College of Chemical Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology) ;
- Wang, Qiao-Yan (College of Chemical Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology) ;
- Tan, Yuan (College of Chemical Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology) ;
- Sun, Zong-Bin (College of Chemical Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology) ;
- Su, Zhong-Liang (College of Chemical Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, Cong-Min (College of Chemical Engineering, Qingdao University of Science and Technology)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Thymidylate synthase (TS) catalyzes the transfer of a methyl group from methylenetetrahydrofolate to dUMP to form dTMP. It is a primary target in the chemotherapy of colorectal cancers and some other neoplasms. In order to obtain pure protein for analysis of structure and biological function, an expression vector TS-pET28b (+) was constructed by inserting wild-type human thymidylate synthase (hTS) cDNA into pET28b (+). Then an expression strain was selected after transformation of the recombined plasmid into Rosetta (DE3). Fusion protein with His-tag was efficiently expressed in the form of inclusion bodies after IPTG induction and the content was approximately 40.0% of total bacteria proteins after optimizing expression conditions. When inclusion bodies were washed, dissolved and purified by Ni-NTA under denatured conditions, the purity was up to 90%. On SDS-PAGE and West-blotting, the protein band was found to match well with the predicted relative molecular mass-36kDa. Bioactivity was 0.1 U/mg. The results indicated that high-level expression of wild-type hTS cDNA can be achieved in prokaryotes with our novel method, facilitating research into related chemotherapy.
- Ackland SP, Clarke SJ, Beale P, et al (2006). Thymidylate synthase inhibitors. Update Cancer Ther, 1, 403-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.uct.2006.09.001
- Carrers CW, Santi DV (1995). The catalytic mechanism and structure of thymidylate synthase. Annu Rev Biochem, 64, 721-62. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bi.64.070195.003445
- Davisson VJ, Sirawaraporn W, Santi DV (1989). Expression of human thymidylate synthase in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem, 264, 9145-8.
- Dolnick BJ, Cheng Y (1977). Human thymidylate synthetase derived from blast cells of patients with acturemyelocyticleukemia. Purificationandchracteri-zation. J Biol Chem, 252, 7697-703.
- Ellis KJ, Morrison JF (1982). Buffers of constant ionic strength for studying pH-dependent processes. Methods Enzymol, 87, 405-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(82)87025-0
- Fu W, Lin J, Cen P (2007). 5-Aminolevulinate production with recombinant Escherichia coli using a rare codon optimizer hoststrain. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 75, 777-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-007-0887-y
- Gibson LM, Celeste LR, Lovelace LL, et al (2011). Structures of human thymidylate synthase R163K with dUMP, FdUMP and glutathione show asymmetric ligand binding. Biological Crystallography, 1, 60-6.
- Hori T, Takahashi E, Ayusawa D, et al (1990). Regional assignment of the human thymidylate synthase (TS) gene to chromosome band by non-isotopic in situ hybridization. Hum Genet, 85, 576-80.
- Jarmula A (2010). Antifolate inhibitors of thymidylate synthase as anticancer drugs. Mini-Rev Med Chem, 10, 1211-22. https://doi.org/10.2174/13895575110091211
- Joan PL, Maley GF, Chu E, et al (1997). High-level expression of human thymidylate synthase. Protein Expression Purif, 10, 256-62. https://doi.org/10.1006/prep.1997.0750
- Lockshin A, Moran RG, Danenberg PV (1979). Thymidylate synthetase purified to homogeneity from human leukemic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 76, 750-4. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.76.2.750
- Liu J, Hu T, Hou X (2007). High-level expression of functional tumor suppressor LKB1 in Escherichia coli. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin, 39, 779-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7270.2007.00336.x
- Phan J, Steadman DJ, Koli S, et al (2001). Structure of human thymidylate synthase suggests advantages of chemotherapy with noncompetitive inhibitors. J Biol Chem, 276, 14170-7. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M009493200
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989). Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. 2ed New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
- Steadman DJ, Zhao PS, Spencer HT, et al (1998). A structural role for glutamine 214 in human thymidylate synthase. Biochemistry, 37, 7089-95. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi9725428
- Wahba AJ, Friedkin M (1961). Direct spectrophotometric evidence for the oxidation of tetrahydrofolate during the enzymatic synthesis of thymidylate. Biol Chem, 236, 11-2.
- Zhang H, Cisneros RJ, Dunlap RB, et al (1989). Efficient synthesis of mouse thymidylate synthase in Escherichia coli. Gene, 84, 487-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-1119(89)90525-8
- Predictive value of thymidylate synthase for the prognosis and survival of lung adenocarcinoma patients pp.1792-1082, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.2658
- Thymidylate Synthase Polymorphisms and Risk of Lung Cancer among the Jordanian Population: a Case Control Study vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8287
- Topoisomerase 2α and thymidylate synthase expression in adrenocortical cancer vol.24, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1530/ERC-17-0095