- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
EA-D p45-IgG as a Potential Biomarker for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Diagnosis
- Chen, Hao (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Collaborative Innovation Center for Cancer Medicine) ;
- Luo, Yao-Ling (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Collaborative Innovation Center for Cancer Medicine) ;
- Zhang, Lin (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Collaborative Innovation Center for Cancer Medicine) ;
- Tian, Li-Zhen (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Guangzhou Drug Administration Hospital) ;
- Feng, Zhi-Ting (First Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong College of Pharmacy) ;
- Liu, Wan-Li (Department of Clinical Laboratory, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Collaborative Innovation Center for Cancer Medicine)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Aim: To identify new biomarkers for NPC diagnosis with an anti-EBV Western blot test kit. Methods: Serum samples from 64 NPC patients and healthy subjects with four specific VCA-IgA/EA-IgA profiles were tested with an anti-EBV Western blot test kit from EUROIMMUN AG. Proteins were quantified with scores of intensity visually assigned to the protein bands. The markers which showed statistical differences between the NPC and non-NPC subjects were further evaluated in another 32 NPC patients and 32 controls in comparison with established biomarkers including VCA-IgA, EA-IgA, EBV-related protein IgG, and EBV DNA. Results: Among the markers screened, EA-D p45-IgG showed a statistically significant difference (p < 0.05) between NPC and non-NPC subjects with VCA-IgA positivy. In 32 VCA-IgA positive NPC patients and 32 control subjects, the diagnostic accuracy of EA-D p45-IgG was 78.1% with a positive predictive value of 77.8% and a negative predictive value of 78.6%. In the verification experiment, the specificity and sensitivity of EA-D p45-IgG were 75.0% and 90.6 %, respectively. Conclusions: EA-D p45-IgG might be a potential biomarker for NPC diagnosis, especially among VCA-IgA positive subjects.
- Ai P, Wang T, Zhang H, et al (2012). Determination of antibodies directed at EBV proteins expressed in both latent and lytic cycles in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oral Oncol, 49, 326-31.
- Brooks L, Yao QY, Rickinson AB, Young LS (1992). Epstein-Barr virus latent gene transcription in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells: Coexpression of EBNA1, LMP1, and LMP2 transcripts. J Virol, 66, 2689-97.
- Buisson M, Fleurent B, Mak M, et al (1999). Novel Immunoblot assay using four recombinant antigens for diagnosis of Epstein-Barr virus primary infection and reactivation. J Clin Microbiol, 37, 2709-14.
- Cao SM, Guo X, Li NW, et al (2006). Clinical analysis of 1, 142 hospitalized cantonese patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin J Cancer, 25, 204-8.
- Cao SM, Simons MJ, Qian CN (2011). The prevalence and prevention of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in China. Chin J Cancer, 30, 114-9. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.010.10377
- Chang KP, Hsu CL, Chang YL, et al (2008). Complementary serum test of antibodies to Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen-1 and early antigen: A possible alternative for primary screening of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oral Oncol, 44, 784-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2007.10.003
- Cochet C, Martel-Renoir D, Grunewald V, et al (1993). Expression of the Epstein-Barr virus immediate early gene, BZLF1, in nasopharyngeal carcinoma tumor cells. Virology, 197, 358-65. https://doi.org/10.1006/viro.1993.1597
- De Vathaire F, Sancho Garnier H, DeThe H, et al (1988). Prognostic value of EBV markers in the clinical management of nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). : A multicenter followup study. Int J Cancer, 42, 176-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910420206
- Han BL, XuXY, Zhang CZ, et al (2012). Systematic review on Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) DNA in diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Asian populations. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2577-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2577
- Henle W, Henle G, Zajac BA, et al (1970). Differential reactivity of human serums with early antigens induced by Epstein-Barr virus. Science, 169, 188-90. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.169.3941.188
- Henle W, Ho HC, Henle G, Kwan HC (1973). Antibodies to Epstein-Barr virus-related antigens in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Comparison of active cases with long-term survivors. J Natl Cancer Inst, 51, 361-9.
- Ho HC, Ng MH, Kwan HC, Chau JC (1976). Epstein-Barr-virusspecific IgA and IgG serum antibodies in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Br J Cancer, 34, 655-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1976.228
- Ji MF, Yu YL, Cheng WM, et al (2011). Detection of Stage I nasopharyngeal carcinoma by serologic screening and clinical examination. Chin J Cancer, 30, 120-3. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.010.10595
- Lin JC, Jan JS, Hsu CY, et al (2003). Phase III study of concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus radiotherapy alone for advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: positive effect on overall and progression-free survival. J Clin Oncol, 21, 631-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.06.158
- Lin SY, Tsang NM, Kao SC, et al (2001). Presence of Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein 1 gene in the nasopharyngeal swabs from patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Head Neck, 23, 194-200. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0347(200103)23:3<194::AID-HED1018>3.0.CO;2-X
- Lo YM, Chan LY, Lo KW, et al (1999). Quantitative analysis of cell-free Epstein-Barr virus DNA in plasma of patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Res, 59, 1188-91.
- Luo YL, Ou GP, Chi PD, et al (2009). Combined determination of Epstein-Barr virus-related antibodies and antigens for diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin J Cancer, 28, 76-8.
- Lynn TC, Tu SM, Kawamura A Jr (1985). Long-term follow-up of IgG and IgA antibodies against viral capsid antigens of Epstein-Barr virus in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Laryngol Otol, 99, 567-72. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022215100097255
- Ng MH, Chan KH, Ng SP, Zong YS (2006). Epstein-Barr virus serology in early detection and screening of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin J Cancer, 25, 250-6.
- Paramita DK, Fachiroh J, Haryana SM, Middeldorp JM (2008). Evaluation of commercial EBV RecombLine assay for diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Clin Virol, 42, 343-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2008.03.006
- Seong J, Park HC, Han KH, et al (2000). Local radiotherapy for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma patients who failed with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 47, 1331-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(00)00519-8
- Sheen TS, Ko JY, Chang YL, et al (1998). Nasopharyngeal swab and PCR for the screening of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the endemic area: A good supplement to the serologic screening. Head Neck, 20, 732-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0347(199812)20:8<732::AID-HED12>3.0.CO;2-A
- Stevens SJ, Verkuijlen SA, Hariwiyanto B, et al (2005). Diagnostic value of measuring Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). DNA load and carcinoma-specific viral mRNA in relation to anti-EBV immunoglobulin a IgA and IgG antibody levels in blood of nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients from Indonesia. J Clin Microbiol, 43, 3066-73. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.43.7.3066-3073.2005
- Su CK, Wang CC (2002). Prognostic value of Chinese race in nasopharyngeal cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 54, 752-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(02)02969-3
- Tsang RK, Vlantis AC, Ho RW, et al (2004). Sensitivity and specificity of Epstein-Barr virus IGA titer in the diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a three-year institutional review. Head Neck, 26, 598-602. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.20022
- Wei KR, Xu Y, Zhang WJ, Liang ZH, Liu J (2011). Trend of changes on incidence and pathological proportions of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Zhongshan city, Guangdong province, during 1970 - 2007. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, 32, 1135-8.
- Yau WL, Lung HL, Zabarovsky ER, et al (2006). Functional studies of the chromosome 3p21.3 candidate tumor suppressor gene BLU/ZMYND10 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer, 119, 2821-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22232
- Yau TK, Lee AW, Wong DH, et al (2006). Induction chemotherapy with cisplatin and gemcitabine followed by accelerated radiotherapy and concurrent cisplatin in patients with stage IV (a-b). nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Head Neck, 28, 880-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.20421
- Yi Z, Yuxi L, Chunren L, et al (1980). Application of an immunoenzymatic method and an immunoautoradiographic method for a mass survey of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Intervirology, 13, 162-8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000149121
- Zhang C, Zong Y, Huang B, et al (2002). Enhancing the efficiency of Epstein-Barr viral serologic test in the diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 24, 356-9.
- ZongYS, Sham JS, Ng MH, et al (1992). Immunoglobulin A against viral capsid antigen of Epstein-Barr virus and indirect mirror examination of the nasopharynx in the detection of asymptomatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer, 69, 3-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19920101)69:1<3::AID-CNCR2820690104>3.0.CO;2-7
- Diagnostic Significance of Combined Detection of Epstein-Barr Virus Antibodies, VCA/IgA, EA/IgA, Rta/IgG and EBNA1/IgA for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2001
- Glycididazole Sodium Combined with Radiochemotherapy for Locally Advanced Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2641
- Prognostic Value of Pretreatment Serum Alkaline Phosphatase in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3547
- Serum EBV antibodies and LMP-1 in Polish patients with oropharyngeal and laryngeal cancer vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13027-017-0141-x
- Epstein–Barr Virus Epidemiology, Serology, and Genetic Variability of LMP-1 Oncogene Among Healthy Population: An Update vol.8, pp.2234-943X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2018.00211