- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Reasons for Patient's Delay in Diagnosis of Breast Carcinoma in Pakistan
- Memon, Zahid Ali (Civil Hospital Karachi) ;
- Shaikh, Anum Nizamuddin (Dow Medical College, Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Rizwan, Sundus (Dow Medical College, Dow University of Health Sciences) ;
- Sardar, Maimoona Batool (Dow Medical College, Dow University of Health Sciences)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Background: Delay in diagnosis of breast cancer is associated with a poorer survival and a pivotal contribution to this delayed diagnosis comes from patient delay in presenting at a clinic. Reasons involved must be evaluated in order to decrease this reducible delay. Objectives: i) To evaluate the reasons for patient delay in diagnosis of breast cancer; ii) to investigate any association with other variables. Materials and Methods: A 6 month cross sectional study (from July 2012 to Dec 2012), was carried out in Surgical and Oncology Units of Civil Hospital, Karachi. A total of 100 females diagnosed with breast cancer of any histological type were interviewed after informed consent and relevant data were collected. Due ethical clearance was obtained. Results: Mean age was
- Gilani GM, Akhter AS, Kamal S (2003). A Differential Study of Breast Cancer Patients in Punjab, Pakistan. JPMA, 53, 478.
- Gilani S.I, Khurram M, Mazhar T, et al (2010). Knowledge, attitude and practice of a Pakistani female cohort towards breast cancer. JPMA, 60, 205.
- Hackett TP, Casscm NH, Racker JW (1973). Patient Delay in cancer. N Engl J Med, 289, 14-20 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197307052890104
- Harirchi, Ebrahimi M, Zamani N, et al (2000). Breast cancer in Iran: a review of 903 case records. Public Health, 114, 143-5
- Harirchi I, Ghaemmaghami F, Karbakhsh M, et al (2005). Patient delay in women presenting with advanced breast cancer: an Iranian study, Public Health, 119, 885-91 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2004.11.005
- Hussain MA, Ali S, Tyagi SP, et al (1994). Incidence of cancer breast at Aligarh, J Indian Med Assoc, 92, 296-7
- Ibrahim EM, al-Mulhim FA, aI-Amri A, et al (1998). Breast cancer in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia. Med Oncol, 15, 241-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02787207
- Kumari PBVR, Goonewardena CSE (2011). Delay among women reporting symptoms of breast cancer. J Coll Community Physicians of Sri Lanka, 16, 17-22. https://doi.org/10.4038/jccpsl.v16i1.3867
- Caplan LS, Helzlsouer KJ, Shapiro S, et al (1996). Reasons for delay in breast cancer diagnosis elsevier. Prev Med, 25, 218-24 https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.1996.0049
- Facione NC (1993). Delay versus help seeking for breast cancer symptoms: a critical review of the literature on patient and provider delay. Soc Sci Med, 36, 1521-34 https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(93)90340-A
- Lodhi FB, Ahmad B, Shah SIH, et al (2010). Determinants of delayed presentation in breast cancer. APMC, 4, 9-16.
- Malik IA, Khan NA, Khan W (2000). Use of unconventional methods of therapy by cancer patients in Pakistan. Eur J Epidemiol, 16, 155-60 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007621104789
- Abdel-Fatah M, Anwar M, Mari E, et al (1999). Patient and system related diagnositic delay in breast cancer. Eur J Public Health, 9, 15-9 https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/9.1.15
- Adams SA, Homer JK, Vessey MP (1980). Delay in treatment for breast cancer. Community Med, 2, 195-201
- Afzelius P, Karin Z, Hanne S, et al (1994). Patient's and doctor's delay in primary breast cancer: prognostic implications. Acta Oncol, 33, 345-51 https://doi.org/10.3109/02841869409098427
- Ali R, Mathew A, Rajan B (2008). Effects of socio-economic and demographic factors in delayed reporting and late-stage presentation among patients with breast cancer in a major cancer hospital in South India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 703-7
- Anyanwu SN (2008).Temporal trends in breast cancer presentation in the third world. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 27, 17 https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-27-17
- Arndt V, Sturmer T, Stegmaier C, et al (2002). Patient delay and stage of diagnosis among breast cancer patients in Germany a population based study. Br J Cancer, 86, 1034-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600209
- Bish A, Ramirez A, Burgess C, Hunter M (2005). Understanding why women delay in seeking help for breast cancer symptoms. J Psychosom Res, 58, 321-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2004.10.007
- Burgess CC, Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, et al (1988). Who and what influences delayed presentation in breast cancer? Br J Cancer, 77, 1343-8
- Malik I. A. (2002) .Clinico-pathological Features of Breast Cancer in Pakistan, Eur J Epidemiol, 52, 100.
- Malik IA, Gopalan S (2003). Use of CAM results in delay in seeking medical advice for breast cancer. Eur J Epidemiol, 18, 817-22.
- Montazeri A, Ebrahimi M, Mehrdad N, et al (2003). Delayed presentation in breast cancer: a study in Iranian women. BMC Women's Health, 3, 4 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-3-4
- Montella M, Crispo A, D'Aiuto G, et al (2001). Determinant factors for diagnostic delay in operable breast cancer patients. Eur J Cancer Prev, 10, 53-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200102000-00006
- Norsa'adah B, Rampal KG, Rahmah MA, et al (2011). Diagnosis delay of breast cancer and its associated factors in Malaysian women, BMC Cancer, 11, 141 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-141
- Norsa'adah B, Rahmah M A, Rampal K J, et al (2012). Understanding Barriers to Malaysian Women with Breast Cancer Seeking Help. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3723-30 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3723
- Nosarti C, Crayford T, Roberts J V, et al (2000). Delay in presentation of symptomatic referrals to a breast clinic: patient and system factors. Br J Cancer, 82, 742-8 https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.1999.0990
- Pineros M, Sanchez R, Cendales R (2009). Patient delay among Colombian women with breast cancer. Salud Publica Mex. 51, 372-80.
- Ramirez AJ, Westcombe AM, Burgess CC, et al (1999). Factors predicting delayed presentation of symptomatic breast cancer: a systematic review. The Lancet, 353, 1127-31 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)02142-X
- Rashid M, Rafi CM, Mamoon N (1996). Late presentation of carcinoma breast in Pakistani women. Pak Armed Forces Med J, 46, 11-5.
- Sharma K, Costas A, Shulman LN, Meara JG. (2012). A Systematic Review of Barriers to Breast Cancer Care in Developing Countries Resulting in Delayed Patient Presentation. J Oncol, 2012, 121873
- Talpur AA, Ansari AG, Ghumro AA, et al (2011). Late presentation of breast cancer: A dilemma. J Pak Med Assoc, 61, 662-6.
- Thongsuksai P, Chongsuvivatwong V, Sriplung H (2000). Delay in breast cancer care: a study in thai women. Med Care, 38, 108-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200001000-00012
- Ukwenya AY, Yusufu LM, Nmadu PT, Garba ES, Ahmed A (2008). Delayed treatment of symptomatic breast cancer: the experience from Kaduna, Nigeria. S Afr J Surg, 46, 106-10
- Total Delay for Treatment among Cancer Patients: a Theory-guided Survey in China vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4339
- Prevalence, Risk Factors and Disease Knowledge of Breast Cancer in Pakistan vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4411
- Comparison between Early and Late Onset Breast Cancer in Pakistani Women Undergoing Breast Conservative Therapy: is There any Difference? vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5331
- Correlation Study of Knowledge and Behavior Regarding Breast Care among Female Undergraduate Students in China vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10943
- Risk of Breast Cancer among Young Women and Importance of Early Screening vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7485
- Level of Awareness of Cervical and Breast Cancer Risk Factors and Safe Practices among College Teachers of Different States in India: Do Awareness Programmes Have an Impact on Adoption of Safe Practices? vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.927
- Breast Cancer at Extreme Ages - a Comparative Analysis in Chile vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1455
- Patient delays and system delays in breast cancer treatment in developed and developing countries vol.20, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-812320152010.19692014
- Factors influencing diagnosis delay of advanced breast cancer in Moroccan women vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-016-2394-y
- Mammographic Screening of Women Attending a Reference Service Center in Southern Brazil vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1385
- Factors Delaying Presentation of Sudanese Breast Cancer Patients: an Analysis Using Andersen's Model vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2105
- The role of Indonesian patients’ health behaviors in delaying the diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-017-4429-y
- Is a psychological approach required to combat breast cancer mortality in Pakistan? pp.1435-1102, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-018-0858-6