- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Can Glypican3 be Diagnostic for Early Hepatocellular Carcinoma among Egyptian Patients?
- Abdelgawad, Iman Attia (Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, NCI, Cairo University) ;
- Mossallam, Ghada Ibrahim (Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, NCI, Cairo University) ;
- Radwan, Noha Hassan (Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, NCI, Cairo University) ;
- Elzawahry, Heba Mohammed (Department of Medical Oncology, NCI, Cairo University) ;
- Elhifnawy, Niveen Mostafa (Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, NCI, Cairo University)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Background: Because of the high prevalence of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in Egypt, new markers with better diagnostic performance than alpha-feto protein (AFP) are needed to help in early diagnosis. The aim of this work was to compare the clinical utility of both serum and mRNA glypican3 (GPC3) as probable diagnostic markers for HCC among Egyptian patients. Materials and Methods: A total of 60 subjects, including 40 with HCC, 10 with cirrhosis and 10 normal controls were analyzed for serum GPC3 (sGPC3) by ELISA. GPC-3 mRNA from circulating peripheral blood mononuclear cells was amplified by RT-PCR. Both markers were compared to some prognostic factors of HCC, and sensitivity of both techniques was compared. Results: Serum glypican-3 and AFP were significantly higher in the HCC group compared to cirrhotic and normal controls (p<0.001). Sensitivity and specificity were (95% each) for sGlypican-3, (82.5% and 85%) for AFP, and (100% and 90%) for Glypican3 mRNA, and (80% and 95%) for double combination between sGPC3 and AFP respectively. Conclusion: Both serum GPC-3 and GPC-3mRNA are promising diagnostic markers for early detection of HCC in Egyptian patients. RT- PCR proved to be more sensitive (100%) than ELISA (95%) in detecting glypican3.
- Anwar WA, Khaled HM, Amra HA, et al (2008). Changing pattern of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and its risk factors in Egypt: possibilities for prevention. Mutat Res, 659, 176-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrrev.2008.01.005
- El-Shenawy S, El Sabawi M, Sheble N, et al (2012). Diagnotic Role of serum Glypican-3 as a tumor marker for hepatocellular carcinoma. Nature Sci, 10, 32-8.
- Filmus J, Capurro M (2004). Glypican-3 and alphafetoprotein as diagnostic tests for hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Diag, 8, 207-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03260065
- Gomaa A, Hendy O, Aboraia G, et al (2012). The diagnostic Value of Peripheral blood Glypican-3 in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Med Sci, 7, 105-12.
- Hippo Y, Watanabe K, Watanabe A, et al (2004). Identification of soluble NH2-terminal fragment of glypican-3 as a serological marker for early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res, 64, 2418-23. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-03-2191
- Iglesias V, Centeno G, Pascucceli H, et al (2008). Expression pattern of glypican-3 (GPC-3) during human embryonic and fetal development. Histol Histopathol, 23, 1333-40.
- Inoue K, Sugiyama H, Ogawa H, et al (1994). WT1 as a new prognostic factor and a new marker for the detection of minimal residual disease in acute leukemia. Blood, 84, 3071-9.
- Jackbovic B, Jothy S (2007). Glypican-3 from the mutations of Simpson-Golabi-Behmel genetic syndrome to a tumor marker for hepatocellular carcinoma. Exp Mol Pathol, 82, 184-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yexmp.2006.10.010
- Kandil D, Cooper K (2009). Glypican-3: A novel diagnostic marker for hepatocellular carcinoma and more. Adv Anat Pathol, 16, 125-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAP.0b013e3181992455
- Lehman EM, Wilson ML (2009). Epidemiology of hepatitis viruses among hepatocellular carcinoma cases and healthy people in Egypt: a systemic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cancer, 124, 690-7 https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23937
- Li BD, Zhao QC, Zhu YT, et al (2006). Significance of glypican-3 mRNA expression in hepatocellular carcinoma tissues and peripheral blood cells. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi, 44, 458-62.
- Liu H, Li P, Zhai Y, et al (2010). Diagnostic value of Glypican-3 in serum and liver for primary hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 16, 4410-5. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i35.4410
- Nakatsura T, Nishimura Y (2005). Usefulness of the novel oncofetal antigen, Glypican 3, for diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma and melanoma. Bio Drugs, 19, 71-7.
- Nakatsura T, Yoshitake Y, Senju S, et al (2003). Glypican 3 : Overexpressed specially in human hepatocellular carcinoma., is a novel tumor marker. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 306, 16-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(03)00908-2
- National Cancer Institute Cairo (2010). Cancer registry 2002-2007. Website: www.nci.edu.eg.data.
- Nishimura Y, Nakatsura T, Senju S (2008). Usefulness of a novel oncofetal antigen, Glypican 3, for diagnosis and immunotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma. Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi, 31, 383-91. https://doi.org/10.2177/jsci.31.383
- Qiao SS, Cui Z, Gong L, et al (2011). Simultaneous measurements of serum AFP, GPC-3 and HCCR for diagnosing hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepato-Gastroenterol, 58, 1718-24.
- Shafizadeh N, Ferrel P, Karkar S (2008). Utility and limitation of Glypican-3 expression for the of hepatocellular carcinoma at both ends of the differentiation spectrum. Mod Pathol, 21, 1011-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2008.85
- Sung YK, Hwang SY, Park MK et al (2003). Glypican-3 is overexpressed in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Sci, 94, 259-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2003.tb01430.x
- Suriawinata A, Thung SN (2010). Molecular signature of early hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncol, 78, 36-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000315228
- Tangkijvanich P, Chanmer T, Komtong S, et al (2010). Diagnostic role of serum glypican-3 in differentiating hepatocellular carcinoma from non-malignant chronic liver disease and other liver cancers. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 25, 129-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2009.05988.x
- Trerotoli P, Fransvea E, Angelotti U et al (2009).Tissue expression of squamous cellular carcinoma antigen (SCCA) is inversely correlated to tumor size in HCC. Molecular Cancer, 8, 29. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-8-29
Yan D, He Q, Chen Y, et al (2011). Detection of
$\alpha$-fetoprotein and glypican-3 mRNAs in the peripheral blood of hepatocellular carcinoma patients by using multiple FQ-RT-PCR. J Clin Lab Anal, 25, 113-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.20443
- Yasuda E, Kumada T, Toyoda H, et al (2010). Evaluation for clinical utility of GPC-3, measured by a commericially available ELISA kit with GPC-3 antibody, as a serological and histological marker for HCC. Hepatol Res, 40, 477-85. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1872-034X.2010.00624.x
- Youssef M, El-Sharkawy S, Abbas N, et al (2010). Clinical utility of Glypican-3 in hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Integr Biol, 10, 41-7.
- Zakhary N, Khodeer S, Ezzat H, et al (2012). Impact of PIVKAII in diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. International Conference on Ecological Environmental and Biology Sciences, ICEEBS, Jan. 7-8 Dubai.
- Clinical Significance of Joint Detection of Serum VEGF, SIL-2R and HGF in Patients with Primary Hepatocellular Carcinoma before and after Percutaneous Microwave Coagulation Therapy vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4545
- Clinical Study of Hepatectomy Combined with Jianpi Huayu Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5951
- Prognostic Value of Serum AFP, AFP-L3, and GP73 in Monitoring Short-term Treatment Response and Recurrence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma after Radiofrequency Ablation vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1539
- Roles of Combined Glypican-3 and Glutamine Synthetase in Differential Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Lesions vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4769
- Expression of Glypican-3 is Highly Associated with Pediatric Hepatoblastoma: a Systemic Analysis vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1029
- Immunohistochemical Study of Glypican-3 and HepPar-1 in Differentiating Hepatocellular Carcinoma from Metastatic Carcinomas in FNA of the Liver vol.21, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-014-9830-6
- Assessment of the Clinical Utility of Glypican 3 as a Serum Marker for the Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.15, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1533034615605248
- Evaluation of Circulatory RNA-Based Biomarker Panel in Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.20, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40291-016-0200-9
- TRAIL-R1 polymorphisms predict the risk of development of hepatocellular carcinoma in Egyptian patients with chronic hepatitis C vol.6, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ELX.0000514040.77134.c0
- Development of a Time-Resolved Fluorescence Immunoassay for the Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Based on the Detection of Glypican-3 vol.27, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10895-017-2087-1
- Glypican-3: A promising biomarker for hepatocellular carcinoma diagnosis and treatment vol.38, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/med.21455
- circRNAs (hsa_circ_00156, hsa_circ _000224, and hsa_circ _000520) are novel potential biomarkers in hepatocellular carcinoma pp.07302312, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.28045
- Diagnosis accuracy of serum glypican-3 level in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a systematic review with meta-analysis pp.1724-6008, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1724600818784409
- Role of exosomal competing endogenous RNA in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma vol.119, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.27109