- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Pancreatic Cancer Incidence and Mortality Patterns in China, 2009
- Chen, Wan-Qing (National Office for Cancer Prevention and Control, National Cancer Center) ;
- Liang, Di (Cancer Institute of Hebei Province, 4th Hospital of Hebei Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Si-Wei (National Office for Cancer Prevention and Control, National Cancer Center) ;
- Zheng, Rou-Shou (National Office for Cancer Prevention and Control, National Cancer Center) ;
- He, Yu-Tong (Cancer Institute of Hebei Province, 4th Hospital of Hebei Medical University)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Objective: To estimate the incidence and mortality rates for pancreatic cancer in China. Methods: After checking and reviewing the cancer registry data in 2009 from 72 cancer registry centers, we divided cancer registry areas into urban and rural areas. Incidence/mortality rates, age-specific incidence/mortality rates, age-standardized incidence/mortality rates, proportions, and cumulative incidence/mortality rates for pancreatic cancer were calculated. Results: The total number of newly diagnosed pancreatic cancer cases and deaths in 2009 were 6,220 and 5,650, respectively. The crude incidence rate in all cancer registry areas was 7.28/100,000 (males 8.24, females 6.29). The age-standardized incidence rate by Chinese standard population (ASR) was 3.35/100,000, with ranking at 7th among all cancers. Pancreatic cancer incidence rate was 8.19/100,000 in urban areas whereas it was 5.41/100 000 in rural areas. Cancer mortality rate in all cancer registry areas was 6.61/100,000 (males 7.45; females 5.75), with ranking at 6th among all cancers, and 7.42/100 000 in urban but 4.94/100000 in rural areas. Conclusions: Pancreatic cancer incidence and mortality rates have shown a gradual increase in China. Owing to the difficulty of early diagnosis, identification of high-risk population and modification of risk factors are important to reduce the burden of pancreatic cancer.
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2008). Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. IX IARC Scientific Publications No. 160, Lyon, IARC.
- Felay J, Burkhard C, Whelan S, et al (2005). Check and Conversion Programs for Cancer Registries. IARC Technical Report No. 42.
- GLOBOCAN (2008). http://www.iacr.com.fr/iarccrgtools.htm. IACR. Lyon.
- Greer JB, Lynch HT, Brand RE (2009). Hereditary pancreatic cancer: A clinical perspective. Best Pract Res Cl Ga, 23, 159-170.
- Gu K, Wu ChX, Bao PP, et al (2011). Trend in pancreatic cancer incidence in Shanghai Urban area, 1973-2007. J Diagn Conc Pract, 10, 320-324.
- Gudjonsson B (2009). Pancreatic cancer: survival, errors and evidence. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 21, 1379-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e328323aab7
- Hu YJ, Li J (2011). Meta-analysis of case-control studies of diabetes and pancreatic cancer. Pract J Cl Med, 8, 82-83.
- J. Felay, The IARCcrgTools program. http://www.iacr.com.fr/iarccrgtools.htm. IACR. Lyon. 2006.
- Klein AP, Lindstrom S, Mendelsohn JB, et al (2013). An absolute risk model to identify individuals at elevated risk for pancreatic cancer in the general population. PLoS One, 8, e72311. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0072311
- Muniraj T, Chari ST (2012). Diabetes and pancreatic cancer. Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol, 58, 331-45.
- National Center for Cancer Registry (2004). Guideline for Chinese Cancer Registration. Beijing: Military Medical Science Press, 48-50.
- Parkin D.M., Chen V.M., Ferlay J. et al (1994). Comparability and Quality Control in Cancer Registration. IARC Technical Report No.19, Lyon.
- Rulyak SJ, Brentnall TA (2004). Inherited pancreatic cancer: improvements in our understanding of genetics and screening. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 36, 1386-92 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2004.02.010
- Talamini R, Polesel J, Gallus S, et al (2010). Tobacco smoking, alcohol consumption and pancreatic cancer risk: A casecontrol study in Italy. Eur J Cancer, 46, 370-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.09.002
- Tempero MA, Arnoletti JP, Behrman S, et al (2010). Pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 8, 972-1017. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2010.0073
- Wang L, Yang GH, Li H, et al (2005). The changing pancreatic cancer mortality in China, 1991-2000. Chin J Int Med, 44, 509- 12.
- Helicobacter pylori and Pancreatic Cancer Risk: a Meta-analysis Based on 2,049 Cases and 2,861 Controls vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4449
- Study on the Relationship Between CXCR4 Expression and Perineural Invasion in Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4893
- Clinical Efficacy of Endoscopic Pancreatic Drainage for Pain Relief with Malignant Pancreatic Duct Obstruction vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6823
- Second-Line Capecitabine and Oxaliplatin Combination for Gemcitabine-Resistant Advanced Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7119
- Dietary Factors and Risk of Pancreatic Cancer: a Multi-Centre Case-Control Study in China vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7947
- F-FDG SPECT with Serum Procalcitonin for Identification of Etiology in Tumor Patients with Fever of Unknown Origin vol.15, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.2.683
- Effects of Secondary Left-sided Portal Hypertension on the Radical Operation Rate and Prognosis in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2239
- An Analysis of Ten Year Trends of Cancer Incidence and Quality Control of Cancer Registration Data in Jeollabuk-do, Korea: 2001~2010 vol.39, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2014.39.1.046
- Increased UGT1A3 and UGT1A7 Expression is Associated with Pancreatic Cancer vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1651
- Suppression of the Epidermal Growth Factor-like Domain 7 and Inhibition of Migration and Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Human Pancreatic Cancer PANC-1 Cells vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4065
- Current status and progress of pancreatic cancer in China vol.21, pp.26, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i26.7988
- N,N′-di-(m-methylphenyi)-3,6-dimethyl-1,4-dihydro-1,2,4,5-tetrazine-1,4-dicarboamide (ZGDHu-1) suppresses the proliferation of PANC-1 pancreatic cancer cells via apoptosis and G2/M cell cycle arrest vol.33, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2015.3803
- The Description of Pancreatic Cancer Death in Inner Mongolia 2008-2014 vol.07, pp.02, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojepi.2017.72012
- The incidence and survival of pancreatic cancer by histology, including rare subtypes: a nation-wide cancer registry-based study from Taiwan pp.20457634, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1795