- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Place of Death in Korean Patients with Terminal Cancer
- Hyun, Min Kyung (National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency) ;
- Jung, Kyung Hae (Department of Oncology, Asian Medical Center) ;
- Yun, Young Ho (Seoul National University Hospital and College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Young Ae (Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center) ;
- Lee, Woo Jin (Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center) ;
- Do, Young Rok (Division of Hematooncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Dongsan Medical Center, Keimyung University School of Medicine) ;
- Lee, Keun Seok (Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center) ;
- Heo, Dae Seog (Cancer Research Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Choi, Jong Soo (Department of Oncology, Gangneung Asian Hospital, University of Ulsan College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Sam Yong (Division of Hematooncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chungnam University School of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Heung Tae (Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center) ;
- Hong, Seok-Won (National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Aim: To investigate factors that affect the place of death (POD) of terminal cancer patients. Materials and Methods: We recruited 702 consecutive patients (
- Cardenas-Turanzas M, Torres-Vigil I, Tovalín-Ahumada H, Nates JL (2011). Hospital versus home death: results from the Mexican health and aging study. J Pain Symptom Manage, 41, 880-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2010.07.007
- Casadio M, Biasco G, Abernethy A, et al (2010). The national tumor association foundation (ANT): a 30 year old model of home palliative care. BMC Palliat Care, 9, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-684X-9-12
- Choi KS, Chae YM, Lee CG, et al (2005). Factors influencing preferences for place of terminal care and of death among cancer patients and their families in Korea. Support Care Cancer, 13, 565-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-005-0809-4
- Cohen J, Bilsen J, Hooft P, et al (2006). Dying at home or in an institution using death certificates to explore the factors associated with place of death. Health Policy, 78, 319-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2005.11.003
- Cohen J, Houttekier D, Onwuteaka-Philipsen B, et al (2010). Which patients with cancer die at home? A study of six European countries using death certificate data. J Clin Oncol, 28, 2267-73. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.2850
- Fayers PM (2001). Interpreting quality of life data: populationbased reference data for the EORTC QLQ-C30. Eur J Cancer, 37, 1331-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(01)00127-7
- Fayers PM, Bjordal K, Groenvold M, et al (2001). The EORTC QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual (3rd Edition). European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer, Brussels.
- Gomes B, Higginson IJ (2006). Factors influencing death at home in terminally ill patients with cancer: systematic review. BMJ, 332, 515-21. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38740.614954.55
- Houttekier D, Cohen J, Bilsen J, et al. (2009). Determinants of the place of death in the Brussels metropolitan region. J Pain Symptom Manage, 37, 996-1005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2008.05.014
- Madden P, Coupland V, Moller H, Davies E (2011). Using maps and funnel plots to explore variation in place of death from cancer within London, 2002-2007. Palliat Med, 25, 323-32. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216311398700
- Masucci L, Guerriere DN, Cheng R, Coyte PC (2010). Determinants of place of death for recipients of home-based palliative care. J Palliat Care, 26, 279-86.
- Ministry of Health (2011). Vital Statistics 2008 (in Japanese).
- Ryu HG, Jung SY, Jo JH, Lee LR (2009). Societal consensus formation regarding the withdrawal of meaningless lifesustaining treatment (NC2009-002). The National Evidencebased Healthcare Collaborating Agency (NECA).
- Smith R (2000). A good death. An important aim for health services and for us all. BMJ, 320, 129-30. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.320.7228.129
- Ahn SH, Park BW, Noh DY, et al (2007). Health-related quality of life in disease-free survivors of breast cancer with the general population. Ann Oncol, 18, 173-82.
- Alonso-Babarro A, Bruera E, Varela-Cerdeira M et al (2011). Can this patient be discharged home? Factors associated with at-home death among patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 29, 1159-67. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.31.6752
- Teno JM, Gozalo PL, Bynum JP, et al (2013). Change in end-oflife care for medicare beneficiaries: site of death, place of care, and health care transitions in 2000, 2005, and 2009. JAMA, 309, 470-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.207624
- Wright AA, Keating NL, Balboni TA, et al (2010). Place of death: correlations with quality of life of patients with cancer and predictors of bereaved caregivers'mental health. J Clin Oncol, 28, 4457-64. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.3863
- Yun YH, Kwon YC, Lee MK, et al (2010). Experiences and attitudes of patients with terminal cancer and their family caregivers toward the disclosure of terminal illness. J Clin Oncol, 28, 1950-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.22.9658
- Yun YH, Lee MK, Kim SY, et al. (2011). Impact of awareness of terminal illness and use of palliative care or intensive care unit on the survival of terminally ill patients with cancer: prospective cohort study. J Clin Oncol, 29, 2474-80. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.30.1184
- Yun YH, Lim MK, Choi KS, Rhee YS (2006). Predictors associated with the place of death in a country with increasing hospital deaths. Palliat Med, 20, 455-61. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269216306pm1129oa