- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effective Response of the Peritoneum Microenvironment to Peritoneal and Systemic Metastasis from Colorectal Carcinoma
- Yu, Min (Department of Medical Oncology, Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Niu, Zhi-Min (Department of Medical Oncology, Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Wei, Yu-Quan (Department of Medical Oncology, Cancer Center, State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, Sichuan University)
- Published : 2013.12.31
We here document discovery of a new and simple model of tumor seeding involving the mouse peritoneum. Irradiated tumor cells administered by i.p. injection provided effective vaccination against peritoneal carcinomatosis and distal metastasis with colorectal carcinomas. In flow cytometric analysis, CD4+ and CD8+ T lymphocytes, macrophages and myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs), which are easy to obtain in the peritoneal cavity, were revealed to have significant differences between immunized and non-immunized mice and these contributed to antitumor responses. We also observed that both serum and peritoneal lavage fluid harvested from immunized mice showed the presence of CT26-specific autoantibodies. In addition, increase in level of TGF-
- Toes RE, Ossendorp F, Offringa R, Melief CJ (1999). CD4 T cells and their role in antitumor immune responses. J Exp Med, 189, 753. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.189.5.753
- Wei YQ, Wang QR, Zhao X, et al (2000). Immunotherapy of tumors with xenogeneic endothelial cells as a vaccine. Nat Med, 6, 1160. https://doi.org/10.1038/80506
- Wei YQ, Zhao X, Kariya Y, Fukata H, Teshigawara K, Uchida A (1996). Induction of autologous tumor killing by heat treatment of fresh human tumor cells: involvement of T cells and heat shock protein 70. Cancer Res, 56, 1104.
- Ye X, McCarrick J, Jewett L, Knowles BB (1994). Timely immunization subverts the development of peripheral nonresponsiveness and suppresses tumor development in simian virus 40 tumor antigen-transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 91, 3916. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.91.9.3916
- Almand B, Clark JI, Nikitina E, et al (2001). Increased production of immature myeloid cells in cancer patients. A mechanism of immunosuppression in cancer. J Immunol, 166, 678-89. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.166.1.678
Awwad M, North RJ (1989). Cyclophosphamideinduced immunologically mediated regression of a cyclophosphamide-resistant murine tumor: a consequence of eliminating precursor
$L3T4^+$suppressor T-cells. Cancer Res, 49, 1649
Bennett SR, Carbone FR, Karamalis F, Miller JF, Heath WR (1997). Induction of a
$CD8^+$cytotoxic T lymphocyte response by cross-priming requires cognate $CD4^+$T cell help. J Exp Med, 186, 65. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.186.1.65
- Cailhier JF, Partolina M, Vuthoori S, et al (2005). Conditional macrophage ablation demonstrates that resident macrophages initiate acute peritoneal inflammation. J Immunol, 174, 2336-42. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.174.4.2336
- Carbone FR, Kurts C, Bennett SR, Miller JF, Heath WR(1998). Cross-presentation: a general mechanism for CTL immunity and tolerance. Immunol, 19, 368.
- Chambers AF, Groom AC, MacDonald IC (2002). Dissemination and growth of cancer cells in metastatic sites. Nat Rev Cancer, 2, 563-72. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc865
- Dawes LJ, Elliott RM, Reddan JR, Wormstone YM, Wormstone IM (2007 ). Oligonucleotide microarray analysis of human lens epithelial cells: TGFbeta regulated gene expression. Molecular Vision, 13, 1181-97.
- Gabrilovich DI, Nagaraj S (2009). Myeloid-derived suppressor cells as regulators of the immune system. Nat Rev Immunol, 9, 162-74. https://doi.org/10.1038/nri2506
- Gonzaga R, Matzinger P, Perez-Diez A (2011). Resident Peritoneal NK Cells. J Immunol, 187, 6235-42. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1101540
- Hahne M, Rimoldi D, Schroter M, et al (1996). Melanoma cell expression of Fas (Apo-1/CD95) ligand: implications for tumor immune escape. Science, 274, 1363. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.274.5291.1363
- Hao NB, Lü MH, Fan YH, et al (2012). Macrophages in tumor microenvironments and the progression of tumors. Clin Dev Immunol, 2012, 948098.
- Hardy RR, Hayakawa K (2000). CD5 B cells, a fetal B cell lineage. Adv Immunol, 55, 297-339.
Hu HM, Winter H, Urba WJ, Fox BA. Divergent roles for
$CD4^+$T cells in the priming and effector/memory phases of adoptive immunotherapy. J Immunol, 165, 4246. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.165.8.4246
Hung K, Hayashi R, Lafond-Walker A, et al (1998). The central role of
$CD4(^+)$T cells in the antitumor immune response. J Exp Med, 188, 2357. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.188.12.2357
- Joyce JA, Pollard JW(2009). Microenvironmental regulation of metastasis. Nat Rev Cancer, 9, 239-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2618
- Kaplan EL, Meier P (1958). Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc, 53, 475.
Kusmartsev S, Nefedova Y, Yoder D, Gabrilovich DI (2004). Antigen-specific inhibition of
$CD8^+$T cell response by immature myeloid cells in cancer is mediated by reactive oxygen species. J Immunol, 172, 989-99. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.172.2.989
Liu G, Xia XP, Gong SL, Zhao Y (2006). The macrophage heterogeneity: difference between mouse peritoneal exudate and splenic
$F4/80^+$macrophages. J Cell Physiol, 209, 341-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.20732
- Lv ZD, Na D, Liu FN, et al (2010). Induction of gastric cancer cell adhesion through transforming growth factor-beta1-mediated peritoneal fibrosis. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 29, 139. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-29-139
Lv ZD, Wang HB, Li FN, et al (2012). TGF-
$\beta1$induces peritoneal fibrosis by activating the Smad2 pathway in mesothelial cells and promotes peritoneal carcinomatosis. Int J Mol Med, 29, 373-9
Moro K, Yamada T, Tanabe M, et al (2010). Innate production of TH2 cytokines by adipose tissue-associated
$c-Kit^+Sca-1^+$lymphoid cells. Nature, 463, 540-4 https://doi.org/10.1038/nature08636
- Movahedi K, Laoui D, Gysemans C, et al (2010). Different Tumor Microenvironments Contain Functionally Distinct Subsets of Macrophages Derived from Ly6C(high) Monocytes. Cancer Res, 70, 5728-39. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-4672
- Mizoguchi H, O'Shea JJ, Longo DL, et al (1992). Alterations in signal transduction molecules in T lymphocytes from tumor-bearing mice. Science, 258, 1795. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1465616
- Nakagomi H, Petersson M, Magnusson I, et al (1993). Decreased expression of the signal-transducing chains in tumorinfiltrating T-cells and NK cells of patients with colorectal carcinoma. Cancer Res, 53, 5610.
- Ochsenbein AF, Klenerman P, Karrer U, et al (1999). Immune surveillance against a solid tumor fails because of immunological ignorance. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 96, 2233. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.5.2233
- Ossendorp F, Mengedé E, Camps M, Filius R, Melief CJ (1998). Specific T helper cell requirement for optimal induction of cytotoxic T lymphocytes against major histocompatibility complex class II negative tumors. J Exp Med, 187, 693. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.187.5.693
- Ostrand-Rosenberg S, Sinha P (2009). Myeloid-derived suppressor cells: linking inflammation and cancer. J Immunol, 182, 4499-506. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.0802740
- Paciorkowski N, Porte P, Shultz LD, Rajan TV (2000). B1 B lymphocytes play a critical role in host protection against lymphatic filarial parasites. J Exp Med, 191, 731-6. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.191.4.731
Pardoll DM, Topalian SL (1998). The role of
$CD4^+$T cell responses in antitumor immunity. Curr Opin Immunol, 10, 588. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-7915(98)80228-8
- Peto R, Peto J (1972). A symptotically efficient rank invariant test procedures. J R Stat Soc, 135, 185.
- Roberts GW, Baird D, Gallagher K, et al (2009). Functional effector memory T cells enrich the peritoneal cavity of patients treated with peritoneal dialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol, 20, 1895-900. https://doi.org/10.1681/ASN.2008101127
- Sauter BV, Martinet O, Zhang WJ, Mandeli J, Woo SL (2000). Adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of endostatin in vivo results in high level of transgene expression and inhibition of tumor growth and metastases. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 97, 4802. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.090065597
- Siveen KS, Kuttan G (2009). Role of macrophages in tumour progression. Immunol Letters, 123, 97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imlet.2009.02.011
- Solinas G, Germano G, Mantovani A, Allavena P (2009). Tumorassociated macrophages (TAM) as major players of the cancer-related inﬂammation. J Leukocyte Biol, 86, 1065-73. https://doi.org/10.1189/jlb.0609385
- Staveley-O'Carroll K, Sotomayor E, Montgomery J, et al (1998). Induction of antigen-specific T cell anergy: an early event in the course of tumor progression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 95, 1178. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.95.3.1178
- Tanaka Y, Kobayashi H, Suzuki M, et al (2002). Thymidine phosphorylase expression in tumor-inﬁltrating macrophages may be correlated with poor prognosis in uterine endometrial cancer. Human Pathol, 33, 1105-13. https://doi.org/10.1053/hupa.2002.129203
- Tanikawa T, Wilke CM, Kryczek I, et al (2012). Interleukin-10 ablation promotes tumor development, growth, and metastasis. Cancer Res, 72, 420-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-4627