- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Meta-analysis of Excision Repair Cross-complementation Group 1 (ERCC1) Association with Response to Platinum-based Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Li, Feng-Ying (Clinical Laboratory, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Medical School of Zhejiang University) ;
- Ren, Xiao-Bin (Hangzhou Municipal Center for Disease Control and Prevention) ;
- Xie, Xin-You (Clinical Laboratory, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Medical School of Zhejiang University) ;
- Zhang, Jun (Clinical Laboratory, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Medical School of Zhejiang University)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Recent studies suggested that the ovarian cancers with negative excision repair cross-complementation group 1 enzyme (ERCC1) expression have a better response to platinum-based chemotherapy than those with positive ERCC1 expression. The objective of this study was to evaluate whether ERCC1 expression is associated with response to platinum-based chemotherapy in ovarian cancers. MEDLINE, PubMed, Web of Science and CNKI databases were used for searching studies relating to ERCC1 protein expression and response to platinum-based chemotherapy in ovarian cancers. Statistical analysis was based on the method for a fixed effects meta-analysis. Pooled odds ratios (ORs) with 95% confidence intervals for ERCC1 protein expression and response to platinum-based chemotherapy were generated. Publication bias was investigated with Begg's test. Five studies involving 306 patients with ovarian cancer were included. Compared to patients with positive ERCC1 expression, those with negative ERCC1 expression had a better response to platinum-based chemotherapy. The pooled OR was 5.264 (95% CI: 2.928-9.464, P < 0.001) and publication bias was not found (P = 0.904). The result was similar in both in Asians and Caucasians (P < 0.001 and P = 0.028, respectively). ERCC1 protein expression status is significantly associated with response to platinum-based chemotherapy in ovarian cancers.
- Bohanes P, Labonte MJ, Lenz HJ (2011). A review of excision repair cross-complementation group 1 in colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer, 10, 157-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clcc.2011.03.024
- Bosmuller H, Haitchi-Petnehazy S, Webersinke G, et al. (2011). Intratumoral lymphocyte density in serous ovarian carcinoma is superior to ERCC1 expression for predicting response to platinum-based therapy. Virchows Arch, 459, 183-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-011-1110-1
- Braun MS, Richman SD, Quirke P, et al. (2008). Predictive biomarkers of chemotherapy efficacy in colorectal cancer: results from the UK MRC FOCUS trial. J Clin Oncol, 26, 2690-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.5580
- Chen S, Zhang J, Wang R, Luo X, Chen H (2010). The platinumbased treatments for advanced non-small cell lung cancer, is low/negative ERCC1 expression better than high/positive ERCC1 expression? A meta-analysis. Lung Cancer, 70, 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2010.05.010
- Handra-Luca A, Hernandez J, Mountzios G, et al. (2007). Excision repair cross complementation group 1 immunohistochemical expression predicts objective response and cancer-specific survival in patients treated by Cisplatin-based induction chemotherapy for locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 3855-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-0252
- Hayes M, Lan C, Yan J, et al. (2011). ERCC1 expression and outcomes in head and neck cancer treated with concurrent cisplatin and radiation. Anticancer Res, 31, 4135-9.
- Hubner RA, Riley RD, Billingham LJ, Popat S (2011). Excision repair cross-complementation group 1 (ERCC1) status and lung cancer outcomes: a meta-analysis of published studies and recommendations. PLoS One, 6, e25164. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0025164
- Ishibashi K, Okada N, Ishiguro T, et al. (2010). The expression of thymidylate synthase (TS) and excision repair complementing-1 (ERCC-1) protein in patients with unresectable colorectal cancer treated with mFOLFOX6 therapy. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 37, 2532-5.
- Joerger M, deJong D, Burylo A, et al. (2011). Tubulin, BRCA1, ERCC1, Abraxas, RAP80 mRNA expression, p53/p21 immunohistochemistry and clinical outcome in patients with advanced non small-cell lung cancer receiving firstline platinum-gemcitabine chemotherapy. Lung Cancer, 74, 310-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2011.03.016
- Kawashima A, Nakayama M, Kakuta Y, et al. (2011). Excision repair cross-complementing group 1 may predict the efficacy of chemoradiation therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 2561-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-1963
- Kim KH, Do IG, Kim HS, et al. (2010). Excision repair crosscomplementation group 1 (ERCC1) expression in advanced urothelial carcinoma patients receiving cisplatin-based chemotherapy. Apmis, 118, 941-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0463.2010.02648.x
- Kim SH, Kwon HC, Oh SY, et al. (2009). Prognostic value of ERCC1, thymidylate synthase, and glutathione S-transferase pi for 5-FU/oxaliplatin chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancer. Am J Clin Oncol, 32, 38-43. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e31817be58e
- Koberle B, Masters JR, Hartley JA, Wood RD (1999). Defective repair of cisplatin-induced DNA damage caused by reduced XPA protein in testicular germ cell tumours. Curr Biol, 9, 273-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-9822(99)80118-3
- Langer CJ (2012). Exploring biomarkers in head and neck cancer. Cancer, 118, 3882-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26718
- Lebwohl D, Canetta R (1998). Clinical development of platinum complexes in cancer therapy: an historical perspective and an update. Eur J Cancer, 34, 1522-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(98)00224-X
- Li Q, Yu JJ, Mu C, et al. (2000). Association between the level of ERCC-1 expression and the repair of cisplatin-induced DNA damage in human ovarian cancer cells. Anticancer Res, 20, 645-52.
- Lin K, Ye D, Xie X (2008). Protein expression levels of excision repair cross-complementation group 1 and xeroderma pigmentosum D correlate with response to platinum-based chemotherapy in the patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 18, 1007-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2007.01155.x
- Liu GY, Qu QX, Mi J (2008). Relationship between nucleotide repair gene ERCC1 and resistance to cisplatian in ovarian cancer. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 30, 184-7.
- Liu GY, Qu QX, Mi RR (2008). Study on the relationships of DNA repair-assoc iated prote ins ERCC1, BRCA1, hMLH1 w ith cisplat in resistance in ovar ian epithelial carcinoma. Zhongguo Shi Yong Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi, 24, 677-9.
- Park JS, Jeon EK, Chun SH, et al. (2011). ERCC1 (excision repair cross-complementation group 1) expression as a predictor for response of neoadjuvant chemotherapy for FIGO stage 2B uterine cervix cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 120, 275-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2010.10.034
- Rabik CA, Dolan ME (2007). Molecular mechanisms of resistance and toxicity associated with platinating agents. Cancer Treat Rev, 33, 9-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2006.09.006
- Ren S, Zhou S, Zhang L, et al. (2010). High-level mRNA of excision repair cross-complementation group 1 gene is associated with poor outcome of platinum-based doublet chemotherapy of advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer patients. Cancer Invest, 28, 1078-83. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357901003735659
- Sereno M, Cejas P, Moreno V, et al. (2012). ERCC1 and topoisomerase I expression in small cell lung cancer: prognostic and predictive implications. Int J Oncol, 40, 2104-10.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Simon GR, Schell MJ, Begum M, et al. (2012). Preliminary indication of survival benefit from ERCC1 and RRM1-tailored chemotherapy in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer: evidence from an individual patient analysis. Cancer, 118, 2525-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26522
- Stadlmann S, Dirnhofer S, Guth U, Thies S, Singer G (2008). ERCC1-immunoexpression does not predict platinumresistance in ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 108, 252-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2007.08.090
- Steffensen KD, Waldstrom M, Jakobsen A (2009). The relationship of platinum resistance and ERCC1 protein expression in epithelial ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 19, 820-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/IGC.0b013e3181a12e09
- Steffensen KD, Waldstrom M, Jeppesen U, Brandslund I, Jakobsen A (2008). Prediction of response to chemotherapy by ERCC1 immunohistochemistry and ERCC1 polymorphism in ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 18, 702-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2007.01068.x
- Su C, Zhou S, Zhang L, et al. (2011). ERCC1, RRM1 and BRCA1 mRNA expression levels and clinical outcome of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Med Oncol, 28, 1411-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-010-9553-9
- Sun JM, Sung JY, Park SH, et al. (2012). ERCC1 as a biomarker for bladder cancer patients likely to benefit from adjuvant chemotherapy. BMC Cancer, 12, 187. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-187
- Tang L, Liang J, Li YJ (2009). Relationship between the expression of ercc1 in epithelial ovarian carcinoma and cisplatin resistance. Qi Lu Yi Xue Za Zhi, 24, 388-90.
- Vilmar A, Sorensen JB (2009). Excision repair crosscomplementation group 1 (ERCC1) in platinum-based treatment of non-small cell lung cancer with special emphasis on carboplatin: a review of current literature. Lung Cancer, 64, 131-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.08.006
- Wang HY, Qu QX (2006). Study on the relation between the expression ofERCC1 and cisplatin resistance in ovarian epithelial carcinoma. Xian Dai Fu Chan Ke Jin Zhan, 15, 512-4.
- Wang X, Zhao J, Yang L, et al. (2010). Positive expression of ERCC1 predicts a poorer platinum-based treatment outcome in Chinese patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Med Oncol, 27, 484-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9239-3
- Welsh C, Day R, McGurk C, et al. (2004). Reduced levels of XPA, ERCC1 and XPF DNA repair proteins in testis tumor cell lines. Int J Cancer, 110, 352-61. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20134
- Xie C, Yin RT, Li YL, et al. (2011). The protein expression of ERCC1 and survivin in epithelial ovarian carcinoma and their clinical significance. J Sichuan Univ, 42, 86-9.
- Yu Y, Zhang L, Ren Z, et al. (2012). Efficacy of gemcitabine and vinorelbine in first-line treatment with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a multicentre retrospective study. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi, 15, 281-6.
- Zhang GB, Chen J, Wang LR, et al. (2012). RRM1 and ERCC1 expression in peripheral blood versus tumor tissue in gemcitabine/carboplatin-treated advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 69, 1277-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-012-1834-x
- Zhang L, Liu T, Zhang JQ (2011). Relationship between the protein expression of ERCC1, BRCA, beta-tubulin and K-ras and the efficacy and prognosis in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 33, 212-6.
- ERCC1 as a Biological Marker Guiding Management in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4117
- No Association between BRCA1 Immunohistochemical Expression and Tumor Grade, Stage or Overall Survival in Platinum-Treated Epithelial Ovarian Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4275
- Association of Rs11615 (C>T) in the Excision Repair Cross-complementing Group 1 Gene with Ovarian but not Gynecological Cancer Susceptibility: a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6071
- Immunofluorescent assay of ERCC1 and estimation of clinical significance of the protein expression in ovarian cancer tissue vol.457, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1134/S1607672914040073
- The Cancer Genomics Resource List 2014 vol.139, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2014-0330-CP
- Nucleotide excision repair and response and survival to chemotherapy in colorectal cancer patients vol.17, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.2217/pgs-2015-0017
- Lentivirus-Mediated RNAi Silencing Targeting ERCC1 Reverses Cisplatin Resistance in Cisplatin-Resistant Ovarian Carcinoma Cell Line vol.34, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2015.2805
- High ERCC1 expression is associated with platinum-resistance, but not survival in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer vol.12, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.4732