- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Diallyl Trisulfide on Human Ovarian Cancer SKOV-3/DDP Cell Apoptosis
- Wan, Hui-Fang (Department of Medical Experiment Teaching, Nanchang University) ;
- Yu, Le-Han (Department of Medical Experiment Teaching, Nanchang University) ;
- Wu, Jin-Lan (Department of Clinical Laboratory of Fourth Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University) ;
- Tu, Shuo (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Basic Medical College) ;
- Zhu, Wie-Feng (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Basic Medical College) ;
- Zhang, Xia-Li (Department of Laboratory Animal Science, Nan Chang University) ;
- Wan, Fu-Sheng (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Basic Medical College)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Aim: To investigate the effects of diallyl trisulfide (DT) on apoptosis of cisplatin (DDP)-resistant human epithelial ovarian cancer SKOV-3 cells (SKOV-3/DDP), and the role of p53 upregulated modulator of apoptosis (PUMA). Methods: SKOV-3/DDP cells were randomly divided into control, DT, DPP and DPP+DT groups, which were treated with DT or combined DT and DDP. All cells were incubated for 48 h. and apoptosis rates were assessed by flow cytometry. mRNA and protein expression of PUMA, Bax and Bcl-2 was determined by RT-PCR and Western blot assays, respectively. Results: Compared with control group, the apoptosis rates of SKOV-3/DDP cells in DT groups were obviously increased, with dose-dependence (P < 0.05), the mRNA and protein expressions of PUMA, Bax also being up-regulated (P < 0.05), while those of Bcl-2 were down-regulated (P < 0.05). Compared with DT groups, the apoptosis rate in the DDP+DT group was significantly increased (P < 0.05). After knockdown of PUMA with specific siRNA, the apoptosis rate of SKOV-3/DDP cells was obviously decreased (P < 0.05). Conclusion: DT can promote the apoptosis of SKOV-3/DDP cells with PUMA playing a critical role.
- Altonsy MO, Andrews SC (2011). Diallyl disulphide, a beneficial component of garlic oil, causes a redistribution of cell-cycle growth phases, induces apoptosis, and enhances butyrateinduced apoptosis in colorectal adenocarcinoma cells (HT-29). Nutr Cancer, 63, 1104-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2011.601846
- Chandra-Kuntal K, Lee J, Singh SV (2013). Critical role for reactive oxygen species in apoptosis induction and cell migration inhibition by diallyl trisulfide, a cancer chemopreventive component of garlic. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 138, 69-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-013-2440-2
- Chauhan SC, Kumar D, Jaggi M (2009). Mucins in ovarian cancer diagnosis and therapy. J Ovarian Res, 2, 21-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1757-2215-2-21
- Chen M, Li B, Zhao X, et al (2012). Effect of diallyl trisulfide derivatives on the induction of apoptosis in human prostate cancer PC-3 cells. Mol Cell Biochem, 363, 75-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-011-1159-9
- Fleischauer AT, Arab L. Garlic and cancer: a critical review of the epidemiologic literature (2001). J Nutr, 131, S1032-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.3.1032S
- Gong Hui,Wan HF,Tu S, et al (2012). Effect of taurine on expression of gene GRP78 and Caspase-12 of the renal tissue at rats in ischemia reperfusion injury. J Nachang Univ (Natural science), 36, 166-71 (Chinese).
- Hassan HT (2004). Ajoene (natural garliccompound) : A new anti-leukaemia agent for AML therapy. Leuk Res, 28, 667-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2003.10.008
- Huang W, Wan FS (2013). New progress of PUMA protein structure and function. Chin J Cancer Prev Treat, 20, 873-76 (Chinese).
- Jeong EL, Ryung AL, Kwang HK, et al (2011). Induction of apoptosis with diallyl disulfide in AGS gastric cancer cell line. JKSS, 81, 85-95.
- Jiang M, Wei Q, Wang J, et al (2006). Regulation of PUMA-alpha by p53 in cisplatin-induced renal cell apoptosis. Oncogene, 25, 4056-66. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209440
- Kim SH, Bommareddy A, Singh SV (2011). Garlic constituent diallyl trisulfide suppresses x-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein in prostate cancer cells in culture and in vivo. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 4, 897-906. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-10-0323
- Lee DH, Kim C, Zhang L, et al (2008). Role of p53, PUMA and Bax in wogonin-induced apoptosis in human cancer cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 75, 2020-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2008.02.023
- Li W, Tian H, Li L, et al (2012). Diallyl trisulfide induces apoptosis and inhibits proliferation of A549 cells in vitro and in vivo. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai), 44, 577-83. https://doi.org/10.1093/abbs/gms033
- Liu C, Wan FS (2012). Pro-apoptotic function of PUMA in human tumor. Chemistry of life, 32, 23-8.
- Mao ZG, Deng SH, Chen PS, et al (2010). The role of PUMA in apoptosisof colorectal cancer induced by allicin. Chinese Journal of Hepatology, 19, 394-6 (In Chinese).
- Na HK, Kim EH, Choi MA, et al (2012). Diallyl trisulfide induces apoptosis in human breast cancer cells through ROSmediated activation of JNK and AP-1. Biochem Pharmacol, 84, 1241-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2012.08.024
- Oommen S, Anto RJ, Srinivas G, et al (2004). Allicin (from garlic) induces caspase mediated apoptosis in cancer cells . Eur J Pharmacol, 485, 97-103 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2003.11.059
- Rouzier R, Bergzoll C, Brun JL, et al (2010). The role of lymph node resection in ovarian cancer: analysis of the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database. BJOG, 117, 1451-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2010.02633.x
- Tsubura A, Lai YC, Kuwata M, et al (2011). Anticancer effects of garlic and garlic-derived compounds for breast cancer control. Anticancer Agents Med Chem, 11, 249-53. https://doi.org/10.2174/187152011795347441
- Tu S, Liu ZQ, Fu JJ, et al (2012). Inhibitory Effect of P53 Up-regulated Modulator of Apoptosis Targeting SiRNA on Hypoxia/Reoxygenation-induced Cardiomyocyte Apoptosis in Rats. Cardiology, 122, 93-100. https://doi.org/10.1159/000338701
- Wang HC, Pao J, Lin SY, Sheen LY (2012). Molecular mechanisms of garlic-derived allyl sulfides in the inhibition of skin cancer progression. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1271, 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2012.06743.x
- Wang X, Wang R, Hao MW, et al (2008). The BH3-only protein PUMA is involved in green tea polyphenol-induced apoptosis in colorectal cancer cell lines. Cancer Biol Ther, 7, 902-8. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.7.6.5911
- Wang XY, Li M, Wang JD, et al (2006). The BH3-only protein, PUMA, is involved in oxaliplatin-induced apoptosis in colon cancer cells. Biochem Pharmacol, 71, 1540-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2006.02.011
- Xiao D, Singh SV (2006). Diallyl trisulfide, a constituent of processed garlic, inactivates Akt to trigger mitoehondrial translocation of BAD and caspase-mediated apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells. Carcinogenesis, 27, 533-40. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgi228
- Yi L, Su Q (2013). Molecular mechanisms for the anti-cancer effects of diallyl disulfide. Food Chem Toxicol, 57, 362-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2013.04.001
- Yu CS, Huang AC, Lai KC, et al (2012). Diallyl trisulfide induces apoptosis in human primary colorectal cancer cells. Oncol Rep, 28, 949-54. https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2012.1882
- Zhang JS, Cui J, Ding LJ, et al (2007). The inhibiting effect of combinationof allicin with paclitaxel on proliferation of gastric cancer cells and promotion of apoptosis. Chin J General Surg, 16, 341-5 (Chinese).
- Zhang YW, Liu XH, Ma HX, et al (2008). Apoptosis induced effect of transfected pum a geneon gastric carcinoma cell line SGC-7901 and its mechanisms. Bull Chin Cancer, 17, 137-41 (Chinese).
- Fungal Taxol Extracted from Cladosporium oxysporum Induces Apoptosis in T47D Human Breast Cancer Cell Line vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6627
- Ovarian Cancer: Interplay of Vitamin D Signaling and miRNA Action vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3359
- Exogenous p53 Upregulated Modulator of Apoptosis (PUMA) Decreases Growth of Lung Cancer A549 Cells vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.741
- Dietary Bioactive Diallyl Trisulfide in Cancer Prevention and Treatment vol.18, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18081645
- Diallyl trisulfide inhibits proliferation, invasion and angiogenesis of glioma cells by inactivating Wnt/β-catenin signaling vol.370, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00441-017-2678-9
- A possible mechanism of inhibition of U87MG and SH-SY5Y cancer cell proliferation by diallyl trisulfide and other aspects of its activity vol.49, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-017-2484-4