- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Breast Cancer Awareness of Rural Women in Malaysia: is it the Same as in the Cities?
- Norlaili, Abdul Aziz (Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya) ;
- Fatihah, Mohd Amin (Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya) ;
- Daliana, Nik Farid Nik (Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya) ;
- Maznah, Dahlui (Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women globally. This study was conducted to compare the awareness of breast cancer and the practice of breast self-examination (BSE), clinical breast examination (CBE) and mammography screening among rural females in Pahang and Perak. A cross-sectional study was carried out in five selected rural districts of Pahang and Perak. Two hundred and fifty households were randomly selected and interviewed face to face using a semi-structured questionnaire. The majority of residents from both states were Malay, aged between 50 and 60 years and had a secondary level of education. Malay women aged 40-49 years and women with a higher level of education were significantly more aware of breast cancer (p<0.05). About half of these women practiced BSE (60.7%) and CBE (56.1%), and 7% had underwent mammography screening. The results of this study suggest that women in Pahang and Perak have good awareness of breast cancer and that more than half practice BSE and CBE. The women's level of education appears to contribute to their level of knowledge and health behaviour. However, more effort is needed to encourage all women in rural areas to acquire further knowledge on breast cancer.
- Ali I, Waseem A, Saleem K (2011). Cancer scenario in India with future perspectives. Cancer Therapy, 8, 56-70.
- American Cancer Society (2013). Breast Cancer. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- Bachok N, Mohd Amin R, Rampal KG, et al (2012). Understanding barriers to Malaysian women with breast cancer seeking help. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3723-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3723
- Bray F, Ren JS, Masuyer E, et al (2012). Global estimates of cancer prevalence for 27 sites in the adult population in 2008. Int J Cancer, 132, 1133-45.
- Dahlui M, Ng C, Al-Sadat N, et al (2011). Is breast selfexamination (BSE) still relevant? A study on BSE performance among female staff of University of Malaya. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 369-72.
- Department of Statistics Malaysia (2010). Population distribution and basic demographic characteristic report 2010. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Farooqui M, Hassali MA, Knight A, et al (2013). A qualitative exploration of Malaysian cancer patients' perceptions of cancer screening. BMC Public Health, 13, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-1
- Abdul Hadi M, Hassali MA, Awaisu A (2010). Knowledge and perception of breast cancer among women of various ethnic groups in the state of Penang: a cross-sectional study. Med Princ Pract, 19, 16-7.
- Al-Dubai SAR, Ganasegeran K, Alabsi AM, et al (2012). Exploration of barriers to breast self-examination among urban women in Shah Alam, Malaysia: A cross sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1627-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1627
- GLOBOCAN (2008). Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- Kanaga KC, Nithiya J, Shatirah MF (2011). Awareness of breast cancer and screening procedures among Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1965-7.
- Leong BDK, Yip CH, Chuah JA, et al (2007). Breast cancer in Sabah, Malaysia: A two year prospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 525-9.
- Ministry of Health Malaysia, Academy of Medicine Malaysia (2010). Clinical Practice Guideline: Management of breast cancer (2nd edition). Health Technology Assessment Section, Medical Development Division, Ministry of Health Malaysia, Putrajaya.
- Muthoni A, Miller AN (2010). An exploration of rural and urban Kenyan women's knowledge and attitudes regarding breast cancer early detection measures. Health Care for Women Int, 31, 801-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399331003628453
- National Health and Morbidity Survey (NHMS III) (2006). Women's health: breast health awareness. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Nik Rosmawati NH (2010). Knowledge, attitude and practice of breast self-examination among women in suburban area in Terengganu, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1503-8.
- Noor Ghani S, Yadav H (2008). Health Care in Malaysia. University Malaya Kuala Lumpur Press.
- Omar ZA, Ibrahim Tamin NS (2011) National Cancer Registry Report: Malaysia Cancer Statistics - Data and Figure 2007, Ministry of Health Malaysia.
- Parsa P, Kandiah M, Mohd Zulkefli NA, et al (2008). Knowledge and behavior regarding breast cancer screening among female teachers in Selangor, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 221-7
- Stein, CJ, Colditz, GA (2004). Modifiable risk factors for cancer. Br J Cancer, 90, 299-303. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601509
- WHO (n.d.). Breast cancer prevention and control. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- WHO (2013). Cancer. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- Yip CH, Ibrahim M, Mohamed I (2006). Epidemiology of breast cancer in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 369-74.
- Yip CH, Emran NA, Ibrahim AW, et al (2012). Breast cancer services in Malaysia [Power Point Slides]. Retrieved from Healthcare Performance Measurement & Reporting System (HPMRS).
- Awareness of Risk Factors for Cancer among Omani adults- A Community Based Study vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5401
- Clinical Breast Examination As the Recommended Breast Cancer Screening Modality in a Rural Community in Malaysia; What Are the Factors That Could Enhance Its Uptake? vol.9, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0106469
- Association of Knowledge and Cultural Perceptions of Malaysian Women with Delay in Diagnosis and Treatment of Breast Cancer: a Systematic Review vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5349
- The Spectrum of Genetic Mutations in Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2177
- Development of a Breast Cancer Awareness Scale for Thai Women: Moving towards a Validated Measure vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.851
- Availability and accessibility of subsidized mammogram screening program in peninsular Malaysia: A preliminary study using travel impedance approach vol.13, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0191764
- Transcultural adaptation and validation of the Persian version of the breast cancer awareness measure (BCAM) questionnaire vol.7, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1740
- Patterns and Determinants of Attitudes towards Genetic Risk of Cancer: Case Study in a Malaysian Public University vol.2018, pp.2314-6141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4682431