- Volume 14 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Intra-operative Rectal Washout with Saline Solution Can Effectively Prevent Anastomotic Recurrence: a Meta-analysis
- Zhou, Can (Department of Centre of Translational Medicine, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Ren, Yu (Department of Surgical Oncology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wang, Ke (Department of Surgical Oncology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Jie (Department of Centre of Translational Medicine, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- He, Jian-Jun (Department of Surgical Oncology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Pei-Jun (Department of Centre of Translational Medicine, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2013.12.31
Background and Objective: Rectal washout with saline solution may theoretically prevent anastomotic recurrence in patients with resectable rectal cancer, although exact clinical effects have not yet been determined. In order to derive a more precise estimation of the relationship, the present meta-analysis was performed. Method: Relevant studies were identified by a search of Medline, Embase and Google Website with no restrictions to September 1, 2013, and included in the systematic review and meta-analysis. Results: 5 trials (642 participants) were included to assess the association between rectal washout with saline solution and anastomotic recurrence. The rate of anastomotic recurrence (AR) was 6.23% (40/642), with the pooled OR derived from the five studies being 0.32 (95 % CI=0.15-0.70, P=0.004). The pooled OR derived from the TME and radical resection subgroups were 0.72 (95%CI=0.16-3.12, P=0.66) and 0.51 (95%CI=0.13-1.96, P=0.32), respectively. Conclusion: Results from this analysis show that intra-operative rectal washout with mere saline solution largely reduces the risk of anastomotic recurrences in patients with resectable rectal cancer.
- Enriquez-Navascues JM, Borda N, Lizerazu A, et al (2011). Patterns of local recurrence in rectal cancer after a multidisciplinary approach.World J Gastroenterol, 7, 1674-84.
- Fukuda I, Kameyama M, Imaoka S, Furukawa H, et al (1991). Prevention of local recurrence after sphincter-saving resection for rectal cancer. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho, 18, 1965-7.
- Goligher JC, Dues CE, Bussey HJ (1951). Local recurrences after sphincter-saving excision for carcinoma of the rectum and rectosigmoid.Br J Surg, 39, 199-211. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.18003915504
- Heald RJ, Ryall RD (1986). Recurrence and survival after total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Lancet, 1, 1479-82.
- Higgins J, Green S (2011). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. [updated March 2011]
- Hubens G, Lafullarde T, Van Marck E, et al (1994). Implantation of colon cancers cells on intact and damaged colon mucosa and serosa: an experimenal study in rat. Acta Chir Belg, 94, 258-62.
- Jorgren F, Johansson R, Damber L, Lindmark G (2010). Risk factors of rectal cancer local recurrence: population-based survey and validation of the Swedish Rectal Cancer Registry. Colorectal Dis, 12, 977-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2009.01930.x
- Juhl G, Larson GM, Mullins R, et al (1990). Six-year results of annual colonoscopy after resection of colorectal cancer. World J Surg, 14, 255-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01664886
- Kaiser AM, Kang JC, Chan LS, Beart RW (2006). The prognostic impact of the time interval to recurrence for the mortality in recurrent colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum, 8, 696-703.
- Kawahara H, Hirai K, Aoki T, et al (1998). Usefulness of intraluminal lavage for post-operative anastomosis recurrence in rectal cancer cases with double stapling technique [in Japanese]. Nippon Rinsho Geka Gakkai Zasshi, 31, 56-60. https://doi.org/10.5833/jjgs.31.56
- Agaba E.A (2004). Does rectal washout during anterior resection prevent local tumor recurrence? Dis Colon Rectum, 47, 291-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-003-0046-1
- Arbman G, Nilsson E, Hallbook O, Sjodahl R (1996). Local recurrence following total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Br J Surg, 83, 375-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800830326
- Church JM, Gibbs P, Chao MW, Tjandra JJ (2003). Optimizing the outcome for patients with rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum, 46, 389-402. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-004-6561-x
- Constantinides VA, Cheetham D, Nicholls RJ, Tekkis PP (2008). Is rectal washout effective for preventing localized recurrence after anterior resection for rectal cancer?. Dis Colon Rectum, 51, 1339-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-008-9308-2
- Egger M, Davey Smith G, Schneider M, Minder C (1997). Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphic-al test. BMJ, 315, 629-34. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- Kodeda K, Holmberg E, Jorgren F, et al (2010). Rectal washout and local recurrence of cancer after anterior resection. Br J Surg, 97, 1589-97. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.7182
- Li Destri G, Cocuzza A, Privitera G, et al (2011). Can radiotherapy alone be effective for treating anastomotic recurrence of rectal cancer? When the patient decides? Cancer Biother Radiopharm, 26, 245-8. https://doi.org/10.1089/cbr.2010.0842
- Liang YC, Qing SH, Ding WX, et al (2007). Total mesorectal excision versus conventional radical surgery for rectal cancer: a meta analysis. Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi, 10, 43-8.
- Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, et al (2009). The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and metaanalyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions explanation and elaboration.J Clin Epidemiol, 62, e1-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2008.07.007
- Long RT and Edwards RH (1989). Implantation metastasis as a cause of local recurrence of colorectal carcinoma. Am J Surg, 157, 194-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9610(89)90527-8
- Matsuda A, Kishi T, Musso G, et al (2013). The Effect of Intraoperative Rectal Washout on Local Recurrence after Rectal Cancer Surgery: A Meta-Analysis. Ann Surg Oncol, 20, 856-63. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-012-2660-4
- McGregor JR, Galloway DJ, McCulloch P, George WD (1989). Anastomotic suture materials and implantation metasasis: an experimental study. Br J Surg, 76, 331-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800760405
- Nakano M, Negami N, Sengoku H, et al (2004). Examination of exfoliated malignant cells collected with intraluminal lavage in anterior resection[in Japanese]. Juntendo Igaku, 50, 373-9. https://doi.org/10.14789/pjmj.50.373
- Rondelli F, Trastulli S, Cirocchi R, et al (2012). Rectal washout and local recurrence in rectal resection for cancer: a metaanalysis. Dis Colon Rectum, 14, 1313-21.
- Sayfan J, Averbuch F, Koltun L, Benyamin N (2000). Effect of rectal stump washout on the presence of free malignant cells in the rectum during anterior resection for rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum, 43, 1710-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02236855
- Scott N, Jackson P, al-Jaberi T (1995). Total mesorectal excision and local recurrence: a study of tumour spread in the mesorectum distal to rectal cancer. Br J Surg, 82, 1031-3; https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800820808
- Shinto E, Mochizuki H , Hase K (1996). Improvement of anastomotic recurrence rate of rectal cancer by intraoperative anal side rectal lavage [in Japanese].Nippon Daicho Komonbyo Gakkai Zasshi, 49, 399-404. https://doi.org/10.3862/jcoloproctology.49.399
- Skipper D, Cooper AJ, Marston JE, Taylor I (1987). Exfoliated cells and in vitro growth in colorectal cancer. Br J Surg, 74, 1049-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800741130
- Terzi C, Unek T, Sagol O, et al (2006). Is rectal washout necessary in anterior resection for rectal cancer? A prospective clinical study. World J Surg, 30, 233-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-005-0300-x
- Tsunoda A, Shibusawa M, Kawamura M, et al (1997). Recurrent colonic cancer developing at the site of a stapled stump: report a case. Surg Today, 27, 457-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02385713
- Turner GG, Pannett CA, Lloyd-Davies OV (1948). Discussion on radical excision of carcinoma of the rectum with conservation of the sphincters. Proc Roy Soc Med, 41, 822-7.
- Umpleby HC, Fermor B, Symes MO, Williamson RC (1984). Viability of exfoliated colorectal carcinoma cells. Br J Surg, 71, 659-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800710902
- Advantages of Laparoscopic Abdominoperineal Resection for Anastomotic Recurrence of Rectal Cancer vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4295
- Recurrence Risk and Prognostic Parameters in Stage I Rectal Cancers vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5337
- Voltage-gated calcium channels: Novel targets for cancer therapy vol.14, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2017.6457
- A New Surgical Device for Anterograde Intraoperative Rectal Washout vol.25, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1553350618759767