- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Development of a Community-Based Approach to Opisthorchiasis Control
- Duangsong, Rujira (Department of Health Education, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Promthet, Supannee (Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Thaewnongiew, Kesorn (Office of Disease Prevention and Control)
- Published : 2013.11.30
A liver fluke, Opisthorchis viverrrini (OV), is the major cause of the high incidence of cholangiocarcinoma in North-eastern Thailand. The prevalence of OV infection remains high in various parts of the country, especially in wetland rural areas where a large proportion of the community work in agriculture and continue the traditional practice of eating raw or uncooked cyprinoid fish products. The national control program seems to have had little impact in many of these areas, and it has been difficult to make precise assessments of the overall effectiveness of the program. Therefore there is a need for a community-based approach to prevent infection with the parasite, ideally involving as many players as possible. Here we document an attempt to assess the best means to prevention on the basis of a community intervention in three villages in north-east Thailand, with participation of representatives of Health Promotion Hospitals of the Ministry of Public Health with dedicated staff, but also school teachers, independent government sponsored village health volunteers, and housewives responsible for cooking and diet selection. An action plan was followed, allowing detailed discussions of practical proposals, their introduction and then repeated reflection and further proposals at the individual village level.
Opisthorchis viverrini;infection control programs;rural Thailand;community-based action plans
- Grundy-Warr C, Andrews RH, Sithithaworn P, et al (2012). Raw attitudes, wetland cultures, life-styles: Socio-cultural dynamics relating to Opisthorchis viverrini in the Mekong basin. Parasitology Int, 61, 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parint.2011.06.015
- IARC (1994). Schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori. IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. Lyon, 7-14 June 1994. IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum, 61, 1-241.
- Jain A, Nuankaew R, Mongkholwiboolphol N, et al (2013). Community-based interventions that work to reduce HIV stigma and discrimination: results of an evaluation study in Thailand. J Int AIDS Soc, 16 (Suppl 2), 18711.
- Jongsuksuntigul P, Imsomboon T (1998). Epidemiology of Opisthorchiasis and national control program in Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health, 29, 327-32.
- Jongsuksuntigul P, Imsomboon T (2003). Opisthorchiasis control in Thailand. Acta Tropica, 88, 229-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2003.01.002
- Khan SA, Thomas HC, Davidson BR, Taylor-Robinson SD (2005). Cholangiocarcinoma. Lancet, 366, 1303-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67530-7
- Lovis L, Mak TK, Phongluxa K, et aql (2012). Efficacy of praziquantel against Schistosoma mekongi and Opisthorchis viverrini: a randomized, single-blinded dose-comparison trial. PLoS Negl Trop Dis, 6, e1726. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0001726
- Ounnapiruk L, Wirojratana V, Meehatchai N, Turale S (2013). Effectiveness of a behavior modification program for older people with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes. Nurs Health Sci [Epub ahead of print].
- Poomphakwaen K, Promthet S, Kamsa-ard S, et al (2009). Risk factors for cholangiocarcinoma in Khon Kaen, Thailand: a nested case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 251-7.
- Promthet S, Wiangnon S, Senarak W, et al (2012). Evaluation of health education in the Multi-professional Intervention and Training for Ongoing Volunteer-based Community Health Programme in the North-east of Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1753-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1753
- Rabello AL.(1992). Parasitological diagnosis of Schistosomiasis mansoni: fecal and rectal biopsy. Mem Inst Oswado Cruz, 87 Suppl 4, 325-31.
- Aunpromma S, Tangkawattana P, Papirom P, et al (2012). High prevalence of Opisthorchis viverrini infection in reservoir hosts in four districts of Khon Kaen Province, an opisthorchiasis endemic area of Thailand. Parasitol Int, 61, 60-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parint.2011.08.004
- Enes JE, Wages AJ, Malone JB, Tesana S (2010). Prevalence of Opisthorchis viverrini infection in the canine and feline hosts in three villages, Khon Kaen Province, northeastern Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Publ Health, 41, 36-42.
- Sripa B, Kaewkes S, Sithithaworn P, et al (2007). Liver fluke induces cholangiocarcinoma. PLoS Med, 4, 201. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040201
- Sripa B, Pairojkul C (2008). Cholangiocarcinoma: lessons from Thailand. Curr Opin Gastroenterol, 24, 349-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOG.0b013e3282fbf9b3
- Suntayakorn C, Rojjanasrirat W (2013). Effects of an empowerment program on health behaviors and stroke risk reduction of at-risk group in Thai rural community. J Med Assoc Thai, 96, 1229-38.
- Suwannahitatorn P, Klomjit S, Naaglor T, et al (2013). A follow-up study of Opisthorchis viverrini infection after the implementation of control program in a rural community, central Thailand. Parasit Vectors, 6, 188 https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-3305-6-188
- Watanapa P, Watanapa WB (2002). Liver fluke-associated cholangiocarcinoma. Br J Surg, 89, 962-70. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2168.2002.02143.x
- Wattanayingcharoenchai S, Nithikathkul C, Wonsaroj T, Royal L, Reungsang P (2011). Geographic information system of Opisthorchis viverrini in northeast Thailand. Asian Biomedicine, 5, 687-91
- Wiangnon S, Sriamporn S, Senarak W, et al (2007). Use of lay health workers in a community-based chronic disease control program. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 457-61.
- World Health Organization (1991). Basic laboratory methods in medical parasitology. World Health Organization, Geneva pp 25-8.
- Yong T-S, Shin E-H, Chai J-Y, et al (2012). High prevalence of Opisthorchis viverrini infection in a Riparian population in Takeo Province, Cambodia. Korean J Parasitol, 50, 173-6. https://doi.org/10.3347/kjp.2012.50.2.173
- Raksanam B, Taneepanichskul S, Robson MG, Siriwong W (2012). Health risk behaviors associated with agrochemical exposure among rice farmers in a rural community, Thailand: A community-based ethnography. Asia Pac J Public Health. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rhongbutsri P, Kitvatanachai S (2002). Survey of the fluke infection rate in Ban Kok Yai village, Khon Kaen, Thailand. J Trop Med Parasitol, 25, 76-8.
- Saengsawang P, Promthet S, Bradshaw P (2013). Infection with Opisthorchis viverrini and use of praziquantel among a working-age population in Northeast Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2963-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2963
- Sansiritaweesook G, Muangsom N, Kanato M, Ratanasiri A (2013). Effectiveness of community participation in a surveillance system initiative to prevent drowning in Thailand. Asia Pac J Public Health, [Epub ahead of print]
- Saranrittichai K, Senarak W, Promthet S, et al (2012). Health behavior after a multiprofessional intervention and training for ongoing volunteer-based community health programme intervention in the North-East of Thailand: what changed and what not? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4801-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4801
- Sayasone S, Odermatt P, Phoumindr N, et al (2012). Prevalence of OV infection in Yasothon Province, Northeast Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3399-402 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3399
- Shin H, Oh J, Masuyer E, Curado M, et al (2010). Epidemiology of cholangiocarcinoma: an update focusing on risk factors. Cancer Sci, 101, 579-85 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01458.x
- Sithithaworn P, Andrews RH, Van De N, et al (2012). The current status of opisthorchiasis and clonorchiasis in the Mekong Basin. Parasitology Int, 61, 10-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parint.2011.08.014
- Sohn WM, Yong TS, Eom KS, et al (2012). Prevalence of Opisthorchis viverrini infection in humans and fish in Kratie Province, Cambodia. Acta Trop, 124, 215-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2012.08.011
- Songserm N, Promthet S, Sithithaworn P, et al (2012) Risk factors for cholangiocarcinoma in high-risk area of Thailand: role of lifestyle, diet and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymmorhisms. Cancer Epidemiology, 36, 89-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2011.04.005
- Soukhathammavong P.; Odermatt, P.; Sayasone, S.; et al (2011). Efficacy and safety of mefloquine, artesunate, mefloquine- artesunate, tribendimidine, and praziquantel in patients with Opisthorchis viverrini: A randomised, exploratory, openlabel, phase 2 trial". Lancet Infect Dis, 11, 110-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(10)70250-4
- Sriamporn S, Parkin D, Pisani P, et al (2005). A prospective study of diet, lifestyle, and genetic factors and the risk of cancer in Khon Kaen Province, northeast Thailand: description of the cohort. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 295-303
- Sriamporn S, Pisani P, Pipitgool V, et al (2004). Prevalence of Opisthorchis viverrini infection and incidence of cholangiocarcinoma in Khon Kaen, Northeast Thailand. Trop Med Int Health, 9, 588-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3156.2004.01234.x
- Sripa B, Bethony JM, Sithithaworn P, et al (2011). Opisthorchiasis and Opisthorchis-associated cholangiocarcinoma in Thailand and Laos. Acta Trop, 120, 158-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2010.07.006
- Analysis of Different Ways of Drainage for Obstructive Jaundice Caused by Hilar Cholangiocarcinoma vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5617
- Development of a Family Nursing Model for Prevention of Cancer and Other Noncommunicable Diseases through an Appreciative Inquiry vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10367
- Community Participation in Cholangiocarcinoma Prevention in Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand: Relations with Age and Health Behavior vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7375
- Community-Based Health Education and Communication Model Development for Opisthorchiasis Prevention in a High Risk Area, Khon Kaen Province, Thailand vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7789
- Global cancer statistics, 2012 vol.65, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21262
- People Participation Towards Opisthorchis viverrini Prevention and Control in Chaiyaphum Province, Northeastern Thailand vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.177
- Implementation of Health Behavior Education Concerning Liver Flukes among Village Health Volunteers in an Epidemic Area of Thailand vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1713
- Health Behavior Regarding Liver Flukes among Rural People in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2111
- International incidence and mortality trends of liver cancer: a global profile vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/srep45846
- The changing epidemiology of liver diseases in the Asia–Pacific region pp.1759-5053, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41575-018-0055-0