- Volume 14 Issue 11
The incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is relatively high in Southeast Asia. Globally, HCC has a high fatality rate and short survival. The objectives of this retrospective cohort study were to review the epidemiology and survival of HCC patients at a tertiary centre in north-east of Peninsular Malaysia. Subjects were adult HCC patients diagnosed by histopathology or radio-imaging. Secondary liver carcinoma was excluded. Kaplan Meier and multiple Cox proportional hazard survival analyses were used. Only 210 HCC cases from years 1987-2008, were included in the final analysis. The number of cases was increasing annually. The mean age was 55.0 (SD 13.9) years with male:female ratio of 3.7:1. Approximately 57.6% had positive hepatitis B virus, 2.4% hepatitis C virus, 20% liver cirrhosis and 8.1% chronic liver disease. Only 2.9% had family history and 9.0% had frequently consumed alcohol. Most patients presented with abdominal pain or discomfort and had hepatomegaly, 47.9% had an elevated
Hepatocellular carcinoma;hepatoma;primary liver cancer;Malaysia
- Befeler AS, Di Bisceglie AM (2002). Hepatoellular carcinoma: diagnosis and treatment. Gastroenterol, 122, 1609-19. https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.2002.33411
- Bosch FX, Ribes J, Diaz M, Cleries R (2004). Primary liver cancer: worldwide incidence and trends. Gatroenterol, 127, 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(04)01170-9
- Bruix J, Llovet JM (2002). Prognostic prediction and treatment strategy in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol, 35, 519-24. https://doi.org/10.1053/jhep.2002.32089
- Bruix J, Sherman M, Llovet JM, et al (2001). Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma.Conclusions of the Barcelona-2000 EASL Conference. J Hepatol, 35, 421-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(01)00130-1
- Chen CJ, Yu MW, Liaw YF (1997). Epidemiological characteristics and risk factors of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 12, 294-308. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.1997.tb00513.x
- Deuffic S, Poynard T, Buffat L, Valleron AJ (1998). Trends in primary liver cancer. Lancet, 351, 214-5.
- El-Serag H, Rudolf L (2007). Reviews in basic and clinical gastroenterology. Gastroenterol, 132, 2557-76. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2007.04.061
- El-Serag HB, Davila JA, Petersen NJ, McGlynn KA (2003). The continuing increase in the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States: an update. Ann Intern Med, 139, 817-23. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-139-10-200311180-00009
- Gao J, Xie L, Yang WS, et al (2012). Risk factors of hepatocellular carcinoma - current status and perspectives. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 743-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.743
- Groen KA (1999). Primary and metastatic liver cancer. Sem Oncol Nurs, 15, 48-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-2081(99)80039-4
- Hasegawa K, Kokudo N (2009). Surgical treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Surg Today, 39, 833-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-008-4024-z
- Kansa-ard S, Wiangnon S, Suwanrungruang K, et al (2011). Trends in liver cancer incidence between 1985 and 2009, Khon Kaen, Thailand: cholagiocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2209-13.
- Llovet JM, Real MI, Montana X, et al (2002). Arterial embolisation or chemoembolisation versus symptomatic treatment in patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 359, 1734-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)08649-X
- Nguyen VTT, Law MG, Dore GJ (2009). Hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma: epidemiological characteristics and disease burden. J Virus Hepatitis, 16, 453-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2893.2009.01117.x
- Nordenstedt H, White DL, El-Serag HB (2010).The changing pattern of epidemiology in hepatocellular carcinoma. Dig Liver Dis, 42, 206-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1590-8658(10)60507-5
- Okuda K, Ohtsuki T, Obata H, et al (1985). Natural history of hepatocellular carcinoma and prognosis in relation to treatment study of 850 patients. Cancer, 56, 918-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19850815)56:4<918::AID-CNCR2820560437>3.0.CO;2-E
- Sangro B, Herraiz M, Martinez-Gonzalez MA, et al (1998). Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in relation to treatment: a multivariate analysis of 178 patients from a single European institution. Surg, 124, 575-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6060(98)70105-9
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, Jemal A (2011). Cancer statistics, 2011. The impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 212-36. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20121
- Soong RS, Yu MC, Chan KM, et al (2011). Analysis of the recurrence risk factors for the patients with hepatocellular carcinoma meeting University of California San Francisco criteria after curative hepatectomy. World J Surg Oncol, 9, 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-9-9
- Srivatanakul P, Sriplung H, Deerasamee S (2004). Epidemiology of liver cancer: an overview. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 118-25.
- Takano S, Watanabe Y, Ohishi H, et al (2000). Multinodality treatment for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a single institution retrospective series. Eur J Surg Oncol, 26, 67-72. https://doi.org/10.1053/ejso.1999.0743
- Teo EK, Fock KM (2001). Hepatocellular carcinoma: an Asian perspective. Dig Dis, 19, 263-8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000050692
- Trevisani F, D’Intino PE, Grazi GL, et al (1996). Clinical and pathologic features of hepatocellular carcinoma in young and olderItalian patients. Cancer, 77, 2223-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19960601)77:11<2223::AID-CNCR7>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Verhoef V, Visser O, de Man RA, et al (2004). Hepatocellular carcinoma in the Netherlands incidence, treatment and survival patterns. Eur J Cancer, 40, 1530-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2004.03.013
- Wong R, Corley DA (2008). Racial and ethnic variations in hepatocellular carcinoma incidence within the United States. Am J Med, 121, 525-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2008.03.005
- Yusuf MA, Badar F, Meerza F, et al (2007). Survival from hepatocellular carcinoma at a cancer hospital in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 272-4.
- Zainal AO, Nor Saleha IT (2011). National Cancer Registry Report. Malaysia Cancer Statistics- Data and Figure 2007. National Cancer Registry, Ministry of Health Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur.
- Zhou XD, Tang ZY, Yang BH, Zhang BH (2000). Hepatocellular carcinoma: the role of screening. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 1, 121-6.
- Clinical Significance of Joint Detection of Serum VEGF, SIL-2R and HGF in Patients with Primary Hepatocellular Carcinoma before and after Percutaneous Microwave Coagulation Therapy vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4545
- Clinical Study of Hepatectomy Combined with Jianpi Huayu Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5951
- Prognostic Significance of the Peripheral Blood Absolute Monocyte Count in Patients with Locally Advanced or Metastatic Hepatocellular Carcinoma Receiving Systemic Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6387
- Retrospective Evaluation of Discrepancies between Radiological and Pathological Size of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Masses vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9487
- PKM2 Regulates Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cell Epithelial-mesenchymal Transition and Migration upon EGFR Activation vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1961
- Multicenter Epidemiologic Study on Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Turkey vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2923
- Epidemiology and Survival of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in the Central Region of Thailand vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3567
- Schedule-Dependent Effects of Kappa-Selenocarrageenan in Combination with Epirubicin on Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3651
- Survival and Prognostic Factors for Hepatocellular Carcinoma: an Egyptian Multidisciplinary Clinic Experience vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3915
- Characteristics of Liver Cancer at Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital in Phnom Penh, Cambodia vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.35
- CYP2C19 Genotype Could be a Predictive Factor for Aggressive Manifestations of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Related with Chronic Hepatitis B Infection in Thailand vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3253
- Analysis on Postoperative Efficacy of Radical Hepatectomy for Patients with Non-HBV/HCV Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3479
- Profiling for primary-care presentation, investigation and referral for liver cancers pp.0954-691X, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0000000000000555
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a Tertiary Referral Hospital in Indonesia: Lack of Improvement of One-Year Survival Rates between 1998-1999 and 2013-2014 vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2165
- EHHM, a novel phenolic natural product from Livistona chinensis, induces autophagy-related apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma cells vol.12, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5178
- A new prognostic score can predict survival after hepatocellular carcinoma treatment in a cohort of 1302 Egyptian hepatocellular carcinoma patients pp.0954-691X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0000000000001085
- The changing epidemiology of liver diseases in the Asia–Pacific region pp.1759-5053, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41575-018-0055-0