- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Smoking Cessation Treatment and Outcomes in Medium to Heavy Cigarette Smokers being Treated for Cancer in Jordan
- Hawari, Feras Ibrahim (Cancer Control Office, King Hussein Cancer Center) ;
- Obeidat, Nour Ali (Cancer Control Office, King Hussein Cancer Center) ;
- Ayub, Hiba Salem (Cancer Control Office, King Hussein Cancer Center) ;
- Dawahrah, Sahar Sattam (Cancer Control Office, King Hussein Cancer Center) ;
- Hawari, Saif Feras (Medical student, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland)
- Published : 2013.11.30
Background: Studies evaluating smoking cessation treatment outcomes in cancer patients are scarce, despite smoking cessation importance in cancer care. We sought to add to the literature by evaluating smoking cessation in a challenging group of cancer patients (medium-to-heavy smokers) visiting an out-patient smoking cessation clinic (SCC) in a cancer center in Amman, Jordan. Materials and Methods: Patients smoking >9 cigarettes per day (CPD) and referred to the SCC between June 2009 and May 2012 were studied. Clinic records were reviewed to measure demographic and baseline clinical characteristics, and longitudinal (3-, 6- and 12- month) follow-up by phone/clinic visit was conducted. At each follow-up, patients were asked if they experienced medication side-effects, if they had returned to smoking, and reasons for failing to abstain. Descriptive and multivariable logistic regression analyses were performed. Results: A total of 201 smokers were included in the analysis. The 3-month abstinence was 23.4% and significantly associated with older age, being married, and presenting with lower (
Smoking cessation;cancer patients;abstinence rates;failure to quit
- Barrera R, Shi W, Amar D, et al (2005). Smoking and timing of cessation: impact on pulmonary complications after thoracotomy. Chest, 127, 1977-83. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.127.6.1977
- Baser S, Shannon VR, Eapen GA, et al (2006). Smoking cessation after diagnosis of lung cancer is associated with a beneficial effect on performance status. Chest, 130, 1784-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0012-3692(15)50902-1
- Belbeisi A, Al-Nsour M, Batieha A, Brown DW, Walke HT (2009). A surveillance summary of smoking and review of tobacco control in Jordan. Globalization and Health, 5, 5-18. https://doi.org/10.1186/1744-8603-5-5
- Blalock JA, Lam C, Minnix JA, et al (2011). The effect of mood, anxiety, and alcohol use disorders on smoking cessation in cancer patients. J Cogn Psychother, 25, 82-96. https://doi.org/10.1891/0889-83184.108.40.206
- Cahill K, Stead LF, Lancaster T (2012). Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 4, 6103.
- Daniel M, Keefe FJ, Lyna P, et al (2009). Persistent smoking after a diagnosis of lung cancer is associated with higher reported pain levels. J Pain, 10, 323-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2008.10.006
- De Jong FA, Sparreboom A, Verweij J, Mathijssen RH (2008). Lifestyle habits as a contributor to anti-cancer treatment failure. Eur J Cancer, 44, 374-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2007.12.012
- Ditre JW, Gonzalez BD, Simmons VN, et al (2011). Associations between pain and current smoking status among cancer patients. Pain, 152, 60-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.09.001
- Do KA, Johnson MM, Doherty DA, et al (2003). Second primary tumors in patients with upper aerodigestive tract cancers: joint effects of smoking and alcohol (United States). Cancer Causes Control, 14, 131-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023060315781
- Dresler CM (2003). Is it more important to quit smoking than which chemotherapy is used? Lung Cancer, 39, 119-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(02)00455-5
- Ebbert JO, Burke MV, Hays JT, Hurt RD (2009). Combination treatment with varenicline and nicotine replacement therapy. Nicotine Tob Res, 11, 572-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntp042
- Ehlers SL, Gastineau DA, Patten CA, et al (2011). The impact of smoking on outcomes among patients undergoing hematopoietic SCT for the treatment of acute leukemia. Bone Marrow Transplant, 46, 285-90. https://doi.org/10.1038/bmt.2010.113
- Fiore MC, Goplerud E, Schroeder SA (2012). The joint commission's new tobacco-cessation measures--will hospitals do the right thing? N Engl J Med, 366, 1172-4. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1115176
- Fiore MC, Jaen CR, Baker TB, et al (2008). Update clinical practice guideline. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service. May 2008.
- Fox JL, Rosenzweig KE, Ostroff JS (2004). The effect of smoking status on survival following radiation therapy for non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 44, 287-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2003.11.012
- Garces YI, Schroeder DR, Nirelli LM, et al (2007). Second primary tumors following tobacco dependence treatments among head and neck cancer patients. Am J Clin Oncol, 30, 531-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e318059adfc
- Garces YI, Yang P, Parkinson J, et al (2004). The relationship between cigarette smoking and quality of life after lung cancer diagnosis. Chest, 126, 1733-41. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.126.6.1733
- Gilpin EA, White MM, Farkas AJ, Pierce JP (1999). Home smoking restrictions: which smokers have them and how they are associated with smoking behavior. Nicotine Tob Res, 1, 153-62.
- Goldstein AO, Ripley-Moffitt CE, Pathman DE, Patsakham KM (2012). Tobacco use treatment at the U.S. National Cancer Institute’s designated Cancer Centers. Nicotine Tob Res, 15, 52-8.
- Gritz ER, Carr CR, Rapkin D, et al (1993). Predictors of long-term smoking cessation in head and neck cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2, 261-70.
- Gritz ER, Fingeret MC, Vidrine DJ (2006). Successes and failures of the teachable moment - smoking cessation in cancer patients. Cancer, 106, 17-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21598
- Gritz ER, Schacherer C, Koehly L, Nielsen IR, Abemayor E (1999). Smoking withdrawal and relapse in head and neck cancer patients. Head Neck, 21, 420-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0347(199908)21:5<420::AID-HED7>3.0.CO;2-U
- Hajek P, Stead LF, West R, et al (2009). Relapse prevention interventions for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2013, 3999.
- Hawari F, Obeidat N, Beano H, et al (2012). Smoking abstinence rates and reasons for failure to quit smoking in cancer patients in Jordan. Respiration, 83, 233-8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000328759
- Heatherton TF, Kozlowski LT, Frecker RC, Fagerstrom KO (1991). The fagerstrom test for nicotine dependence: a revision of the fagerstrom tolerance questionnaire. Br J Addict, 86, 1119-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1991.tb01879.x
- Hughes JR, Stead LF, Lancaster T (2007). Antidepressants for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 1, 31.
- Joshu CE, Mondul AM, Meinhold CL, et al (2011). Cigarette smoking and prostate cancer recurrence after prostatectomy. J Natl Cancer Inst, 103, 835-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr124
- Kaufman EL, Jacobson JS, Hershman DL, Desai M, Neugut AI (2008). Effect of breast cancer radiotherapy and cigarette smoking on risk of second primary lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 392-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.3033
- Kawaguchi T, Matsumura A, Iuchi K, et al (2006). Second primary cancers in patients with stage III non-small cell lung cancer successfully treated with chemo-radiotherapy. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 36, 7-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyi208
- Kenfield SA, Stampfer MJ, Chan JM, Giovannucci E (2011). Smoking and prostate cancer survival and recurrence. JAMA, 305, 2548-55. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.879
- Li CI, Daling JR, Porter PL, Tang MT, Malone KE (2009). Relationship between potentially modifiable lifestyle factors and risk of second primary contralateral breast cancer among women diagnosed with estrogen receptor-positive invasive breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 27, 5312-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.1597
- Liu AS, Kao HK, Reish RG, et al (2011). Postoperative complications in prosthesis-based breast reconstruction using acellular dermal matrix. Plast Reconstr Surg, 127, 1755-62. https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0b013e31820cf233
- Marks DI, Ballen K, Logan BR, et al (2009). The effect of smoking on allogeneic transplant outcomes. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, 15, 1277-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbmt.2009.06.005
- Mazza R, Lina M, Boffi R, et al (2010). Taking care of smoker cancer patients: a review and some recommendations. Ann Oncol, 21, 1404-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp599
- Mazza R, Lina M, Invernizzi G, et al (2011). The gap between tobacco treatment guidelines, health service organization, and clinical practice in comprehensive cancer centres. J Oncol, 2011, 145617.
- Mills AL, Messer K, Gilpin EA, Pierce JP (2009). The effect of smoke-free homes on adult smoking behavior: a review. Nicotine Tob Res, 11, 1131-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntp122
- Moller AM, Villebro N, Pedersen T, Tonnesen H (2002). Effect of preoperative smoking intervention on postoperative complications: a randomised clinical trial. Lancet, 359, 114-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)07369-5
- Monson JM, Stark P, Reilly JJ, et al (1998). Clinical radiation pneumonitis and radiographic changes after thoracic radiation therapy for lung carcinoma. Cancer, 82, 842-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980301)82:5<842::AID-CNCR7>3.0.CO;2-L
- Nayan S, Gupta MK, Sommer DD (2011). Evaluating smoking cessation interventions and cessation rates in cancer patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. ISRN Oncol, 2011, 849023.
- Nguyen SK, Masson-Cote L, Fortin A, Dagnault A (2010). Influence of smoking status on treatment outcomes after post-operative radiation therapy for non-small-cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol, 96, 89-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2010.05.008
- O’Sullivan JM, Huddart RA, Norman AR, et al (2003). Predicting the risk of bleomycin lung toxicity in patients with germ-cell tumours. Ann Oncol, 14, 91-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdg020
- Parsons A, Daley A, Begh R, Aveyard P (2010). Influence of smoking cessation after diagnosis of early stage lung cancer on prognosis: systematic review of observational studies with meta-analysis. BMJ, 340, 5569. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b5569
- Peppone LJ, Mustian KM, Morrow GR, et al (2011). The effect of cigarette smoking on cancer treatment-related side effects. Oncologist, 16, 1784-92. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2011-0169
- Petros WP, Younis IR, Ford JN, Weed SA (2012). Effects of tobacco smoking and nicotine on cancer treatment. Pharmacotherapy, 32, 920-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1875-9114.2012.01117
- Rigotti NA, Clair C, Munafo MR, Stead LF (2012). Interventions for smoking cessation in hospitalised patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 5, 1837.
- Sanderson Cox L, Patten CA, Ebbert JO, et al (2002). Tobacco use outcomes among patients with lung cancer treated for nicotine dependence. J Clin Oncol, 20, 3461-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.10.085
- Sardari Nia P, Weyler J, Colpaert C, et al (2005). Prognostic value of smoking status in operated non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 47, 351-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.08.011
- Schnoll RA, James C, Malstrom M, et al (2003). Longitudinal predictors of continued tobacco use among patients diagnosed with cancer. Ann Behav Med, 25, 214-22. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15324796ABM2503_07
- Schnoll RA, Zhang B, Rue M, et al (2003). Brief physician-initiated quit-smoking strategies for clinical oncology settings: a trial coordinated by the Eastern cooperative oncology group. J Clin Oncol, 21, 355-65. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.04.122
- Selber JC, Kurichi JE, Vega SJ, Sonnad SS, Serletti JM (2006). Risk factors and complications in free TRAM flap breast reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg, 56, 492-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sap.0000210180.72721.4a
- Shavelle RM, Paculdo DR, Strauss DJ, Kush SJ (2008). Smoking habit and mortality: a meta-analysis. J Insur Med, 40, 170-8.
- Simmons VN, Litvin EB, Jacobsen PB, et al (2013). Predictors of smoking relapse in patients with thoracic cancer or head and neck cancer. Cancer, 119, 1420-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27880
- Stead LF, Lancaster T (2012). Combined pharmacotherapy and behavioural interventions for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 10, 8286.
- Stead LF, Perera R, Bullen C, et al (2012). Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 11, 146.
- Stead LF, Perera R, Mant D, Lancaster T (2008). Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 1, 146.
- Tran BT, Halperin A, Chien JW (2011). Cigarette smoking and outcomes after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, 17, 1004-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbmt.2010.10.032
- Van der Bol JM, Mathijssen RH, Loos WJ, et al (2007). Cigarette smoking and irinotecan treatment: pharmacokinetic interaction and effects on neutropenia. J Clin Oncol, 25, 2719-26. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.6115
- Videtic GM, Stitt LW, Dar AR, et al (2003). Continued cigarette smoking by patients receiving concurrent chemoradiotherapy for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer is associated with decreased survival. J Clin Oncol, 21, 1544-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.10.089
- Walker MS, Vidrine DJ, Gritz ER, et al (2006). Smoking relapse during the first year after treatment for early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 2370-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0509
- Waller LL, Weaver KE, Petty WJ, Miller AA (2010). Effects of continued tobacco use during treatment of lung cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 10, 1569-75. https://doi.org/10.1586/era.10.140
- WHO (2011). Report on the global tobacco epidemic, warning about the dangers of tobacco. Appendix VII: age-standardized prevalence estimates for smoking, 2009.
- Zhou W, Heist RS, Liu G, et al (2006). Smoking cessation before diagnosis and survival in early stage non-small cell lung cancer patients. Lung Cancer, 53, 375-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2006.05.017
- Helping patients to reduce tobacco consumption in oncology: a narrative review vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-2798-9