- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Second-Hand Smoke in Public Spaces: How Effective has Partial Smoke-Free Legislation Been in Malaysia?
- Abidin, Emilia Zainal (Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Hashim, Zailina (Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Semple, Sean (Scottish Centre for Indoor Air, Division of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Child Health, Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital)
- Published : 2013.11.30
Background: This study was performed to gather data on second-hand smoke (SHS) concentrations in a range of public venues following the implementation of partial Smoke-Free Legislation in Malaysia in 2004. Materials and Methods:
Hospitality spaces;smoke-free legislation;indoor air pollution;secondhand smoke
- Pell JP, Haw S, Cobbe S, et al (2008). Smoke-free legislation and hospitalizations for acute coronary syndrome. New England J Med, 359, 482-91. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa0706740
- Petticrew M, Semple S, Hilton S, et al (2007). Covert observation in practice: lessons from the evaluation of the prohibition of smoking in public places in Scotland. BMC Public Health, 7, 204. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-7-204
- Pyles MK, Hahn EL, (2011). Economic effects of smoke-free laws on rural and urban counties in Kentucky and Ohio. Nicotine Tob Res, 14, 111-5.
- Semple S, Maccalman L, Naji AA, et al (2007). Bar workers' exposure to secondhand smoke: the effect of Scottish smoke-free legislation on occupational exposure. Ann Occup Hyg, 51, 571-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/mem044
- Villarroel N, Lopez MJ, Sanchez-Martinez F, Fernandez E, Nebot M, (2011). Second-hand smoke exposure in hospitality venues in Barcelona: measurement of respirable particles. Gaceta Sanitaria, 25, 220-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaceta.2010.11.009
- World Health Organization. (2010). Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010: Description of the global burden of NCDs, their risk factors and determinants. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO Press.
- World Health Organization. (2005). WHO Air Quality Guidelines (AQG) for particulate matter, ozone, nitrogen dioxide and sulfur dioxide-Global Update 2005-summary of risk assessment.
- World Health Organization (2003). The WHO framework convention on tobacco control. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO Press.
- Zaidi SM, Moin O, Khan JA (2011). Second-hand smoke in indoor hospitality venues in Pakistan. Int J Tuberculosis and Lung Dis, 15, 972-7. https://doi.org/10.5588/ijtld.10.0524
- Apsley A, Semple S, (2012). Secondhand smoke levels in Scottish bars 5 years on from the introduction of smoke-free legislation. Tob Control, 21, 511-3. https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050107
- Ayres JG, Semple S, MacCalman L, et al (2009). Bar workers' health and environmental tobacco smoke exposure (BHETSE): symptomatic improvement in bar staff following smoke-free legislation in Scotland. Occup Environ Med, 66, 339-46. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2008.040311
- Brook RD, Rajagopalan S, Pope CA, et al (2010). Particulate matter air pollution and cardiovascular disease: an update to the scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation, 121, 2331-78. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e3181dbece1
- Carey IM, Cook DG, Strachan DP, (1999). The effects of environmental tobacco smoke exposure on lung function in a longitudinal study of British adults. Epidemiol,10, 319-26. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-199905000-00022
- Eisner M, Iribarren C, Yelin EH, et al (2009). The impact of SHS exposure on health status and exacerbations among patients with COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis, 4, 169-76.
- Gotz NK, van Tongeren M, Wareing H, et al (2008). Changes in air quality and second-hand smoke exposure in hospitality sector businesses after introduction of the English Smoke-free legislation. J Public Health, 30, 421-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdn062
- Jaakkola MS, Piipari R, Jaakkola N, Jaakkola JJK, (2004). Environmental tobacco smoke and adult-onset asthma: a population-based incident case-control study. Am J Public Health, 93, 2055-60.
- King BA, Dube SR, Ko JY, (2011). Secondhand smoke concentrations in hospitality venues in the Pacific Basin: findings from the American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and Guam. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2881-5.
- Kurahashi N, Inoue M, Liu Y, et al (2008). Passive smoking and lung cancer in Japanese non-smoking women: a prospective study. Int J Cancer, 122, 653-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23116
- Lee J, Lim S, Lee K, et al (2010). Secondhand smoke exposures in indoor public places in seven asian countries. Int J Hygiene and Environ Health, 213, 348-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2010.05.007
- MacCalman L, Semple S, Galea KS, et al (2012). The relationship between workers' self-reported changes in health and their attitudes towards a workplace intervention: lesson from smoke-free legislation across the UK hospitality industry. BMC Public Health, 12, 324. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-324
- Malaysia Act (2008). Food Act (The Control of Tobacco Product Regulations 2004). Malaysia.
- Malaysia Department of Occupational Safety and Health. (2005). Code of Practice for Indoor Air Quality.
- Nafees AA, Taj T, Kadir, MM, et al (2012). Indoor air pollution (PM2.5) due to secondhand smoke in selected hospitality and entertainment venues of Karachi, Pakistan. Tob Control, 21, 460-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2011.043190
- Nandasena S, Wickremansinghe AR, Lee K, Sathiakumar N, (2012). Indoor fine particle (PM2.5) pollution exposure due to secondhand smoke in selected public places of Sri Lanka. Am J Ind Med, 55, 1129-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.22040
- Akhtar PC, Currie DB, Currie CE, Haw SJ, ( 2007 ). Changes in child exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (CHETS) study after implementation of smoke-free legislation in Scotland: National cross sectional survey. Bri Med J, 335, 545-52. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39311.550197.AE
- Cardiovascular Events Following Smoke-Free Legislations: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis vol.1, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40572-014-0020-1
- Implementation of Smoke-free Legislation in Malaysia: Are Adolescents Protected from Respiratory Health Effects? vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4815
- Non-communicable diseases in the Asia-Pacific region: Prevalence, risk factors and community-based prevention pp.1896-494X, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2478/s13382-014-0326-0
- Compliance with Smoke-Free Policies in Korean Bars and Restaurants in California: a Descriptive Analysis vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1083
- Support for a Campus Tobacco-Free Policy among Non-Smokers: Findings from a Developing Country vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.275
- Brand Cigarillos — A Cheap and Less Harmful Alternative to Cigarettes? Particulate Matter Emissions Suggest Otherwise vol.12, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph120100428