- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Hopelessness and Depression Levels of Parents of Children with Cancer
- Kostak, Melahat Akgun (Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University) ;
- Avci, Gulcan (Clinic of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University)
- Published : 2013.11.30
The purpose of this descriptive study was to determine the hopelessness and depression levels of parents of children diagnosed with cancer and undergoing cancer treatment and factors affecting these levels. The study was carried out with parents of 44 children receiving treatment in a paediatric haematology clinic of a university hospital. Data were collected using a survey form, the Beck Hopelessness Scale (BHS) and the Beck Depression Scale (BDS). The mean BDS score of the mothers and fathers was
Child with cancer;mother;father;depression;hopelessness;support
- Bayat M, Erdem E, Kuzucu EG (2008). Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, and social support levels of the parents of children with cancer. J Pediatric Oncol Nursing, 25, 247-53. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043454208321139
- Baykan Z, Baykan A, Nacar M (2010). Life satisfaction in parents of chronically ill children. New Med J, 27, 174-7.
- Bjork M, Wiebe T, Hallstrom I (2009). An everyday struggle-Swedish families' lived experiences during a child's cancer treatment. J Pediatric Nursing, 24, 423-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2008.01.082
- Cernvall M, Carlbring P, Ljungman G, et al (2013). Guided self-help as intervention for Traumatic stress in parents of children with cancer: conceptualization, intervention strategies, and a case study. J Psychosoc Oncol, 31,13-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/07347332.2012.741095
- Al-Gamal E, Long T (2010). Anticipatory grieving among parents living with a child with cancer. JAN, 66, 1980-90.
- Barrera M, Fleming CF, Khan S (2004). The role of emotional social support in the psychological adjustment of siblings of children with cancer. Child: Care, Health and Development, 30, 103-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2214.2003.00396.x
- Cavu.o.lu H (2001). Depression in children with cancer. J Pediatric Nursing, 16, 380-5. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpdn.2001.0000
- Cavusoglu H (2013). Child Health Nursing. 11th edition, Sistem Ofset Printing, Ankara, 120-5.
- Elcigil A, Conk Z (2010). Determining the burden of mothers with children who have cancer. DEUHYO ED, 3, 175-81.
- Essen LV, Sjoden PO, Mattsson E (2004). Swedish mothers and fathers of a child diagnosed with cancer. Acta Oncologica, 43, 474-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860410029348
- Fayed N, Klassen AF, Dix D, et al (2011). Exploring predictors of optimism among parents of children with cancer. Psycho-Oncol, 20, 411-8 https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1743
- Folkman S (2010). Stress, coping, and hope. Psycho-Oncol, 19, 901-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1836
- Fotiadou M, Barlow JH, Powell LA, et al (2008). Optimism and psychological well-being among parents of children with cancer: An exploratory study. Psycho Oncol, 17, 401-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1257
- Han H (2003). Korean mothers' psychosocial adjustment to their children's cancer. JAN, 44, 499-506. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0309-2402.2003.02833.x
- Hisli N (1989). Reliability and validity of Beck depression Inventory in University students. Psikoloji Dergisi, 7, 3-13 (in Turkish).
- Hoekstra-Weebers JEHM, Jaspers JPC, Kamps WA, et al (2001). Psychosocial adaptation an social support of parents of pediatric cancer patients: A prospective longitudinal study. J Pediatric Psychol, 26, 225-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/26.4.225
- Hung JW, Wu YH, Yeh CH (2004). Comparing stres levels of parents of children with cancer and parents of children with physical disabilities. Psycho Oncol, 13, 898-903. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.868
- Klassen AF, Gulati S, Granek L, et al (2011). Understanding the health impact of caregiving: a qualitative study of immigrant parents and single parents of children with cancer. Qual Life Res, [Epub ahead of print].
- Lawoko S, Soares JJF (2002). Distress and hopelessness among parents of children with congenital heart disease, parents of children with other diseases, and parents of healthy children. J Psychosomatic Res, 52, 193-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(02)00301-X
- McCaffrey CN (2006). Major stressors and their effects on the well-being of children with cancer. J Pediatric Nursing, 21, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2005.07.003
- Mu PF, Ma FC, Ku SM, et al (2001). Families of Chinese children with malignancy: the factors impact on mother’s anxiety. J Pediatric Nursing, 16, 287-95. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpdn.2000.25325
- Norberg AL, Boman KK (2007). Parents' perceptions of support when a child has cancer: a longitudinal perspective. Cancer Nursing, 30, 294-301. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000281723.34125.b3
- Norberg AL, Lindblad F, Boman KK (2005). Coping strategies in parents of children with cancer. Social Science and Medicine, 60, 965-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.06.030
- Ozono S, Saeki T, Mantani T, et al ( 2010). Psychological distress related to patterns of family functioning among Japanese childhood cancer survivors and their parents. Psycho Oncol, 19, 545-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1606
- Ozturk M, Zulfikar B, Sayar K, et al (2005). Emotional distress among children with haemophilia and their mothers. New Symposium, 43, 157-62.
- Peek G, Melnyk BM (2010). Coping interventions for parents of children newly diagnosed with cancer: an evidence review with implications for clinical practice and future research. Pediatric Nursing, 36, 306-13.
- Rocha-Garcia A, Del Rio AA, Hernandez-Pena P, et al (2003). The emotional responce of families to children with leukemia at the lower socio-economic level in central Mexico: a preliminary report. Psycho Oncol, 12, 78-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.679
- Seber G, Dilbaz N, Kaptanoglu C, et al (1993). Hopelessness Scale: Validity and reliability). Journal Crisis, 1, 139-43.
- Sloper P (2000). Predictors of distress in parents of children with cancer: a prospective study. J Pediatric Psychol, 25, 79-91. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/25.2.79
- Toros F, Tot ., Duzovali O (2002). Depression and anxiety levels of parents and children with chronic illness. J Clin Psychiatry, 5, 240-7.
- Tuna MK, Aydo.an U, Sari O, et al (2012). Determinaton of depression, anxiety and hopelessness situations at parents whose children are followed in Gulhane Military Medical Faculty, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology clinics due to any malignancy or chronic disease. TAF Prev Med Bull, 11, 577-82. https://doi.org/10.5455/pmb.1-1320328828
- Determinaton of depression, anxiety and hopelessness situations at parents whose children are followed in Gulhane Military Medical Faculty, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology clinics due to any malignancy or chronic disease. TAF Prev Med Bull, 11, 577-82.
- Wijnberg-Williams BJ, Kamps WA, Klip EC, et al (2006a). Psychological distress and the impact of social support on fathers and mothers of pediatric cancer patients: long-term prospective results. J Pediatric Psychol, 31, 785-92. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsj087
- Wijnberg-Williams BJ, Kamps WA, Klip EC, et al (2006b). Psychological adjusment of parents of pediatric cancer patients revisited: five year laters. Pediatric Psycho Oncol, 15, 1-8.
- Spiritual Care Training for Mothers of Children with Cancer: Effects on Quality of Care and Mental Health of Caregivers vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.545
- An Empathetic Model of Group Counseling for Parents of Children with Cancer vol.43, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01933922.2018.1431348