- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Overall Survival and Clinicopathological Characteristics of Patients with Breast Cancer in Relation to the Expression Pattern of HER-2, IL-6, TNF-α and TGF-β1
- Tripsianis, Gregory (Laboratory of Medical Statistics, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Papadopoulou, Evropi (Laboratory of Biochemistry, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Romanidis, Konstantinos (Second Department of Surgery, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Katotomichelakis, Michael (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Anagnostopoulos, Kostas (Laboratory of Biochemistry, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Kontomanolis, Emmanuel (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Botaitis, Sotirios (Second Department of Surgery, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Tentes, Ioannis (Laboratory of Biochemistry, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace) ;
- Kortsaris, Alexandros (Laboratory of Biochemistry, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace)
- Published : 2013.11.30
The present study was conducted to investigate the prognostic significance of co-expression patterna of HER-2, IL-6, TNF-a and TGF-
- Aggarwal B, Vijayalekshmi R, Sung B (2009). Targeting infl ammatory pathways for prevention and therapy of cancer: short-term friend, long-term foe. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 425-30. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-0149
- Al-Hassan A, Al-Ghurabi B, Al-Karkhi I (2012). Prognostic value of proinflammatory cytokines in breast cancer. J Biomol Res Ther, 1, 104.
- Ali H, Mahdi N, Al-Jowher M (2012). Serum ig and cytokine levels in women with breast cancer before and after mastectomy. Med J Islamic World Acad-emy Sci, 20, 121-9.
- Ali S, Leitzel K, Chinchilli V, et al (2002). Relationship of serum HER-2/neu and serum CA 15-3 in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Clin Chem, 48, 1314-20.
- Alsuhail R (2008). Serum level of interleukin 6 and tumor necrosis factor in Iraqi breast cancer patients. MMJ, 7, 34-6.
- Alvarez B, Quinn L, Busquets S, et al (2002). Tumor necrosis factor-alpha exerts interleukin-6-dependent and independent effects on cultured skeletal muscle cells. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1542, 66-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4889(01)00167-7
Auvinen P, Lipponen P, Johansson R, et al (1995). Prognostic significance of TGF-
$\beta$1 and TGF- $\beta$2 expressions in female breast cancer. Anticancer Res, 15, 2627-32.
- Azizun-Nisa, Bhurgri Y, Raza F, Kayani N (2008). Comparison of ER, PR & HER-2/neu (C-erb B 2) reactivity pattern with histologic grade, tumor size and lymph node status in breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 553-6.
- Badache A, Hynes N (2001). Interleukin 6 inhibits proliferation and, in cooperation with an epidermal growth factor receptor autocrine loop, increases migration of T47D breast cancer cells. Cancer Res, 61, 383-91.
- Balkwill F (2002). Tumor necrosis factor or tumor promoting factor? Cytokine Growth Factor Rev, 13, 135-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6101(01)00020-X
- Balkwill F (2009). Tumour necrosis factor and cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 9, 361-71. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2628
- Ben-Baruch A (2003). Host microenvironment in breast cancer development: Inflammatory cells, cytokines and chemokines in breast cancer progression: reciprocal tumor-microenvironment interactions. Breast Cancer Res, 5, 31-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr690
- Bewick M, Chadderton T, Conlon M, et al (1999). Expression of cerbB-2/HER-2 in patients with metastatic breast cancer undergoing high-dose chemotherapy and autologous blood stem cell support. Bone Marrow Transplant, 24, 377-84. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bmt.1701907
- Bloom H, Richardson W (1957). Histological grading and prognosis in breast cancer. Br J Cancer, 11, 359-77. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1957.43
- Bromberg J, Wrzeszczynska M, Devgan G, et al (1999). Stat3 as an oncogene. Cell, 98, 295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)81959-5
- Carney W, Neumann R, Lipton A, et al (2003). Potential utility of serum HER-2/neu oncoprotein concentrations in patients with breast cancer. Clin Chem, 49, 1579-98. https://doi.org/10.1373/49.10.1579
- Chavey C, Bibeau F, Gourgou-Bourgade S, et al (2007). Oestrogen receptor negative breast cancers exhibit high cytokine content. Breast Cancer Res, 9, 15.
- Chod J, Zavadova E, Halaska M (2008). Preoperative transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-beta 1) plasma levels in operable breast cancer patients. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol, 29, 613-6.
- Colomer R, Llombard-Cussac A, Lluch A, et al (2004). Biweekly paclitaxel plus gemcitabine in advanced breast cancer: phase II trial and predictive value of HER-2 extracellular domain. Ann Oncol, 15, 201-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh048
- Dave H, Shah M, Trivedi S, Shukla S (2012). Prognostic utility of circulating transforming growth factor beta 1 in breast cancer patients. Int J Biol Markers, 27, 53-9. https://doi.org/10.5301/JBM.2011.8736
Derynck R, Goeddel D, Ulrich A, et al (1987). Synthesis of messenger RNAs for transforming growth factors
$\alpha$and $\beta$and the epidermal growth factor receptor by human tumors. Cancer Res, 47, 707-12.
- Duffy M (2001). Carcinoembryonic antigen as a marker for colorectal cancer: is it clinically useful? Clin Chem, 47, 624-30.
- Duffy M (2002). Urokinase plasminogen activator and its inhibitor, PAI-1, as prognostic markers in breast cancer: from pilot to level 1 evidence studies. Clin Chem, 48, 1194-7.
- Duffy M (2006). Serum tumor markers in breast cancer: are they of clinical value? Clin Chem, 52, 345-51. https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2005.059832
- Elston C, Ellis I, Pinder S (1999). Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Haematol, 31, 209-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1040-8428(99)00034-7
- Esteva F, Cheli C, Fritsche H, et al (2005). Clinical utility of serum HER-2/neu in monitoring and prediction of progression-free survival in metastatic breast cancer patients treated with trastuzumab-based therapies. Breast Cancer Res, 7, 436-43. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr1020
- Fehm T, Jager W, Kramer S, et al (2004). Prognostic significance of serum HER2 and CA15-3 at the time of diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer. Anticancer Res, 24, 1987-92.
- Fisher P, Hancock B (1997). Gestational trophoblastic disease and their treatment. Cancer Treat Rev, 23, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-7372(97)90017-7
- Grivennikov S, Greten F, Karin M (2010). Immunity, inflammation, and cancer. Cell, 140, 883-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2010.01.025
- Grivennikov S, Karin M (2010). Dangerous liaisons: STAT3 and NF-kappaB collaboration and crosstalk in cancer. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev, 21, 11-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cytogfr.2009.11.005
- Grivennikov S, Karin M (2011). Inflammatory cytokines in cancer: tumour necrosis factor and interleukin 6 take the stage. Ann Rheum Dis, 70, 104-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2009.127621
- Harris L, Liotcheva V, Broadwater G, et al (2001). Comparison of methods of meas-uring HER-2 in metastatic breast cancer patients treated with high-dose chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 19, 1698-706. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2001.19.6.1698
- Heikkila K, Ebrahim S, Lawlor D (2008). Systematic review of the association between circulating interleukin-6 (IL-6) and cancer. Eur J Cancer, 44, 937-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.02.047
- Isaacs C, Stearns V, Hayes D (2001). New prognostic factors for breast cancer. Semin Oncol, 28, 53-67. https://doi.org/10.1053/sonc.2000.20742
- Kayacan O, Karnak D, Beder S, et al (2006). Impact of TNF-alpha and IL-6 levels on development of cachexia in newly diagnosed NSCLC patients. Am J Clin Oncol, 29, 328-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.coc.0000221300.72657.e0
- Knupfer H, Preiss R (2007). Significance of interleukin-6 (IL-6) in breast cancer (review). Breast Cancer Res Treat, 102, 129-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9328-3
- Kong Y, Dai S, Xie X, et al (2012). High serum HER2 extracellular domain levels: correlation with a worse disease-free survival and overall survival in primary operable breast cancer patients. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 138, 275-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-011-1095-9
- Kostler W, Schwab B, Singer C, et al (2004). Monitoring serum Her-2/neu predicts response and progression-free survival to trastuzumab-based treatment in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 1618-24. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-0385-3
- Lin W, Karin M (2007). A cytokine-mediated link between innate immunity, inflammation, and cancer. J Clin Invest, 117, 1175-83. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI31537
- Lipton A, Ali S, Leitzel K, et al (2002). Elevated serum Her-2/neu level predicts decreased response to hormone therapyin metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1467-72. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.6.1467
- Locksley R, Killeen N, Lenardo M (2001). The TNF and TNF receptor superfamilies: integrating mammalian biology. Cell, 104, 487-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00237-9
- Ma L, Yang H, Han X, et al (2012). Relationship between serum HER2 extracellular domain levels, tissue HER2 expression, and clinico-pathological parameters in early stage breast cancer. Chinese Med J, 125, 4104-10.
- MacEwan D (2002). TNF receptor subtype signalling: differences and cellular consequences. Cell Signal, 14, 477-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0898-6568(01)00262-5
- Massague J, Cheifetz S, Laiho M, et al (1992). Transforming growth factor-beta. Cancer Surv, 12, 81-103.
- Moore R, Owens D, Stamp G, et al (1999). Mice deficient in tumor necrosis factor-alpha are resistant to skin carcinogenesis. Nat Med, 5, 828-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/10552
- Nicolini A, Carpi A, Rossi G (2006). Cytokines in breast cancer. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev, 17, 325-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cytogfr.2006.07.002
Panis C, Herrera A, Victorino V, Aranome A, Cecchini R (2013). Screening of circulating TGF-
$\beta$levels and its clinicopathological significance in human breast cancer. Anticancer Res, 33, 737-42.
- Papadopoulou E, Anagnostopoulos K, Tripsianis G, et al (2008a). Evaluation of predictive and prognostic significance of serum TGF-beta1 levels in breast cancer according to HER-2 codon 655 polymorphism. Neoplasma, 55, 229-38.
- Papadopoulou E, Tripsianis G, Anagnostopoulos K, et al (2008b). The influence of serum HER-2 levels and HER-2 codon 655 polymorphism on breast cancer outcome. Neoplasma, 55, 113-21.
- Papadopoulou E, Tripsianis G, Anagnostopoulos K, et al (2010). Significance of serum tumor necrosis factor-alpha and its interaction with HER-2 codon 655 polymorphism on breast cancer outcome. Int J Biol Markers, 25, 126-35.
- Parker C (2004). Active surveillance: towards a new paradigm in the management of early prostate cancer. Lancet Oncol, 5, 101-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(04)01384-1
- Perera M, Tsang C, Distel R, et al (2010). TGF-beta1 interactome: metastasis and beyond. Cancer Genomics Proteomics, 7, 217-29.
- Ravishankaran P, Karunanithi R (2011). Clinical significance of preoperative serum interleukin-6 and Creactive protein level in breast cancer patients. World J Surg Oncol, 9, 18. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-9-18
- Reiss M, Barcellos-Hoff M (1997). Transforming growth factor-beta in breast cancer: a working hypothesis. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 45, 81-95. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005865812918
- Ross J, Fletcher J, Bloom K, et al (2004). Targeted therapy in breast cancer: the HER-2/neu, gene and protein. Mol Cell Proteomics, 3, 379-98. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.R400001-MCP200
- Rustin G (2003). Use of CA 125 to assess response to new agents in ovarian cancer trials. J Clin Oncol, 21, 187-93. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.01.223
Samuel S, Hurta R, Kondaiach P, et al (1992). Autocrine induction of tumor protease production and invasion by a metallothionen-regulated TGF-
$\beta$1. EMBO J, 11, 1599-605.
- Samy N, Ragab H, El Maksoud N, Shaalan M (2010). Prognostic significance of serum Her2/neu, BCL2, CA15-3 and CEA in breast cancer patients: a short follow-up. Cancer Biomark, 6, 63-72. https://doi.org/10.3233/CBM-2009-0119
- Sharif M, Mamoon N, Mushtaq S, Khadim M (2010). Age related association of Her-2/neu with prognostic markers in female breast carcinoma. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak, 20, 590-4.
- Sharma R, Anker S (2002). Cytokines, apoptosis and cachexia: the potential for TNF antagonism. Int J Cardiol, 85, 161-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-5273(02)00244-9
Sheen-Chen S, Chen H, Sheen C, et al (2001). Serum levels of Transforming growth factor-
$\beta$1 in patients with breast cancer. Arch Surg, 136, 937-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.136.8.937
Siegel P, Massague J (2003). Cytostatic and apoptotic actions of TGF-
$\beta$1 in homeostasis and cancer. Cancer, 3, 807-20.
- Thomson A, Lotze M (2003). The cytokine handbook" (4th ed), Academic Press, London.
Todorovi.-Rakovi. N (2008). TGF-
$\beta$and HER2/ErbB2 and Breast Cancer Progres-sion. In "Transforming Growth Factor- $\beta$in Cancer Therapy, Volume II," Humana Press, 141-51.
- Tripsianis G, Papadopoulou E, Botaitis S, et al (2012). A Diagnostic and prognostic significance of serum IL-6 levels in breast cancer. JP J Biostatistics, 1-2, 59-77.
Ueki N, Nakazato M, Ohkawa T, et al (1992). Excessive production of transforming growth factor-
$\beta$1 can play an important role in the development of tumorigenesis by its action for angiogenesis: validity of neutralizing antibodies to block tumor growth. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1137, 189-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4889(92)90201-L
- Vilcek J, Lee T (1991). Tumour necrosis factor. New insights into the molecular mechanisms of its multiple actions. J Biol Chem, 266, 7313-16.
Wang S (2011). The functional crosstalk between HER2 tyrosine kinase and TGF-
$\beta$signaling in breast cancer malignancy. J Signal Transduction, 2011, 804236.
- Wang X, Shao X, Chen Z, et al (2012). Circulating HER2 extracellular domain (ECD) levels are associated with progression-free survival in metastatic breast cancer patients. Cancer Res, 72.
- Yarden Y, Sliwkowski M (2001). Untangling the ErbB signaling network. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 2, 127-37. https://doi.org/10.1038/35052073
- Zhou B, Hu M, Miller S, et al (2000). HER-2/neu blocks tumor necrosis factor-induced apoptosis via the Akt/NF-kB pathway. J Biol Chem, 275, 8027-31. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.275.11.8027
- Tumor-Derived Transforming Growth Factor-β is Critical for Tumor Progression and Evasion from Immune Surveillance vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5181
- Risk of Breast Cancer and Total Malignancies in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients Undergoing TNF-α Antagonist Therapy: a Meta-analysis of Randomized Control Trials vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3403
- Role of TGF-β1 in Human Colorectal Cancer and Effects after Cantharidinate Intervention vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.4045
- Effect of Intraoperative Glucose Fluctuation and Postoperative IL-6, TNF-α, CRP Levels on the Short-term Prognosis of Patients with Intracranial Supratentorial Neoplasms vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10879
- Preclinical and clinical aspects of TNF-α and its receptors TNFR1 and TNFR2 in breast cancer vol.24, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-017-0398-9
- Critical Role of Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells in Tumor-Induced Liver Immune Suppression through Inhibition of NKT Cell Function vol.8, pp.1664-3224, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2017.00129
- Mammographic density and breast tissue expression of inflammatory markers, growth factors, and vimentin vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-018-5088-9
- Clinical Benefits of Acupuncture for the Reduction of Hormone Therapy–Related Side Effects in Breast Cancer Patients: A Systematic Review vol.17, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735418786801
- The prognostic value of combined TGF-β1 and ELF in hepatocellular carcinoma vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1127-y