- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Perspectives of Medical Oncologists regarding Music Therapy for Patients with Cancer in Turkey - Can Musicology be Integrated into Psycho-oncology?
- Tanriverdi, Ozgur (Department of Medical Oncology, Education and Research Hospital, Mugla Sitki Kocman University) ;
- Aydemir, Nil Fatma (Department of Musicology, Faculty of Fine Arts, Dokuz Eylul University)
- Published : 2013.11.30
Background: Music therapy is a common complementary and alternative therapy in addition to medical treatment for patients with cancer. If music therapy, which is known has a positive effect on human emotions and behaviors, is a useful additional therapy, it should be more integrated into pyscho-oncology. In this study, we aimed to determine medical oncologist attitudes to music therapy for patients with cancer and knowledge about musicology and music therapy in Turkey. Materials and Methods: This survey study included questions about participant attitudes and knowledge regarding music therapy as well as demographic characteristics. The population of the study were 402 physicians working in medical oncology in Turkey and the sample covered 112 participants in the the survey. For statistical analyses the chi-square test, Fischer exact test, and Mann-Whitney U analysis are applied. Results: In our study the rate for medical oncologists who were interested in music therapy was 28% (n=112). Some 30% (n=34) of medical oncologists recommended music therapy for their patients and 55% (n=61) recommended music therapy to prevent anxiety in patients with cancer. Conclusions: In this study, for more harmony with patients and in order to ensure management of adverse effect, it was concluded that music therapy should be regrded as an additional therapy in oncology clinics.
Musicology;music therapy;complementary medicine;cancer;psycho-oncology;medical oncologists
- Archie P, Bruera E, Cohen L (2013). Music-based interventions in palliative care: a review of quantitative studies and neurobiological literature. Support Care Cancer, 21, 2609-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-013-1841-4
- Azoulay E, Chaize M, Kentish-Barnes N (2013). Music therapy for reducing anxiety in critically ill patients. JAMA, 309, 2386-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.5657
- Bekiroglu T, Ovayolu N, Ergun Y, Ekerbicer HC (2013). Effect of Turkish classical music on blood pressure: a randomized controlled trial in hypertensive elderly patients. Complement Ther Med, 21, 147-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2013.03.005
- Bouhairie A, Kemper KJ, Martin K, Woods C (2006). Staff attitudes and expectations about music therapy: pediatric oncology versus neonatal intensive care unit. J Soc Integr Oncol, 4, 71-4. https://doi.org/10.2310/7200.2006.006
- Chang KH, Brodie R, Choong MA, Sweeney KJ, Kerin MJ (2011). Complementary and alternative medicine use in oncology: a questionnaire survey of patients and health care professionals. BMC Cancer, 11, 196-204. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-196
- Covington H, Crosby C (1997). Music therapy as a nursing intervention. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv, 35, 34-7.
- Demmer C, Sauer J (2002). Assessing complementary therapy services in a hospice program. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 19, 306-14. https://doi.org/10.1177/104990910201900506
- Hann DM, Baker F, Denniston MM, Winter K (2004). Oncology professionals’ views of complementary therapies: a survey of physicians, nurses, and social workers. Cancer Control, 11, 404-10. https://doi.org/10.1177/107327480401100608
- Huang S, Good M, Zauszniewski J (2010). The effectiveness of music in relieving pain in cancer patients: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Nursing Studies, 47, 1354-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2010.03.008
- Huron D. Two challenges in cognitive musicology (2012). Top Cogn Sci, 4, 678-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-8765.2012.01224.x
- Kwekkeboom K, Cherwin C, Lee J, Wanta B (2010). Mind-body treatments for the pain-fatigue-sleep disturbance symptom cluster in persons with cancer. J Pain and Symptom Management, 39, 126-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.05.022
- Li XM, Zhou KN, Yan H, Wang DL, Zhang YP (2012). Effects of music therapy on anxiety of patients with breast cancer after radical mastectomy: a randomized clinical trial. J Advanced Nursing, 68, 1145-55. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05824.x
- Loewy J, Stewart K, Dassler AM, Telsey A, Homel P (2013). The effect of music therapy on vital signs, feeding, and sleep in premature infants. Pediatrics, 131, 902-18. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-1367
- Lloyd D (2011). Mind as music. Front Psychol, 2, 63.
- Mathur A, Duda L, Kamat DM (2008). Knowledge and use of music therapy among pediatric practitioners in Michigan. Clin Pediatr (Phila), 47, 155-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922807306777
- O’Callaghan C (2012). Grounded theory in music therapy research. J Music Ther, 49, 236-77. https://doi.org/10.1093/jmt/49.3.236
- O’Callaghan C, Dun B, Baron A, Barry P (2013). Music’s relevance for children with cancer: music therapists’ qualitative clinical data-mining research. Soc Work Health Care, 52, 125-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/00981389.2012.737904
- Roque AL, Valenti VE, Guida HL, et al (2013). The effects of different styles of musical auditory stimulation on cardiac autonomic regulation in healthy women. Noise Health, 15, 281-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/1463-1741.113527
- Stevens CJ (2012). Music perception and cognition: a review of recent cross-cultural research. Top Cogn Sci, 4, 653-67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-8765.2012.01215.x
- Tanriverdi O (2013). A medical oncologist’s perspective on communication skills and burnout syndrome with psycho-oncological approach (To die with each patient one more time: the fate of the oncologists). Med Oncol, 30, 530-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-013-0530-y
- Toccafondi A, Bonacchi A, Mambrini A, Cantore M (2013). Musing in oncology: when oncology meets music something special happens. Oncologist, 18, 112-3. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2012-0140
- Wormit AF, Warth M, Koenig J, Hillecke TK, Bardenheuer HJ (2012). Evaluating a treatment manual for music therapy in adult outpatient oncology care. Music and Medicine, 42, 65-73.
- Zhang JM, Wang P, Yao YX, et al (2012). Music interventions for psychological and physical outcomes in cancer: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Support Care Cancer, 20, 3043-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-012-1606-5
- Comfort and Anxiety Levels of Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer Who Receive Radiotherapy vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2109