- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Health Risk Behavior of Romanian Adults having Relatives with Cancer
- Lotrean, Lucia Maria (University of Medicine and Pharmacy) ;
- Ailoaiei, Roxana (University of Medicine and Pharmacy) ;
- Torres, Gabriela Mejia (National Institute of Public Health)
- Published : 2013.11.30
This study aimed to assess body features, and alimentary and lifestyle behavior related to cancer prevention among Romanian adults having relatives with cancer. The study was performed in 2010/2011 in an oncological hospital in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. It involved 320 adults who had relatives with cancer. An anonymous questionnaire was filled in by each participants; their weights and heights were measured and body mass index (BMI) was calculated, 56.6% of the participants having a value higher than 24.9. Almost all subjects ate less than 400g of fruits and vegetables daily and 56% of the participants consumed more than 500 g of red meat weekly. One quarter of the study sample was performing less than 30 minutes of moderate physical activity daily. Some 28.1% of the subjects were smokers. These data call for comprehensive actions to help Romanian cancer patient relatives to respect the recommendations regarding healthy lifestyle promotion and cancer prevention. Health professionals should periodically assess body composition and lifestyle components of adults who have relatives with cancer in order to identify unhealthy behavior and offer them personalized education and counseling.
Lifestyle;dietary behaviour;cancer prevention;relatives of cancer patients
- American Institute for Cancer Research (2009). Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective. Washington: AICR.
- Bauman A, Ainsworth BE, Bull F, et al (2009). Progress and pitfalls in the use of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) for adult physical activity surveillance. J Physical Activity and Health, 6, 5-8. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.6.s1.s5
- Bauman AB, Chey T, Craig CL (2009). The IPS Group The International Prevalence Study on Physical Activity: results from 20 countries. Int J Behavioral Nutrition And Physical Activity, 31, 21.
- Currie C (2008). Inequalities in young people's health. Health behaviour in school-aged children international report from the 2005/2006 survey. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe.
- European Comision (2010). Eurobarometru. Tobacco. Directorate General Health and Consumers.
- Falzon C, Chalabaev A, Schuft L, et al (2012).Beliefs about Physical Activity in Sedentary Cancer Patients: an In-depth Interview Study in France. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6033-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6033
- Humpel N, Magee C, Jones SC (2007).The impact of a cancer diagnosis on the health behaviors of cancer survivors and their family and friends. Supp Care Cancer, 6, 621-630.
- Lopez ML, Iglesias JM, del Valle MO, et al (2007). Impact of a primary care intervention on smoking, drinking, diet, weight, sun exposure, and work risk in families with cancer experience. Cancer Cause Control, 18, 525-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-007-0124-0
- Lotrean LM, Laza V, Ionut C (2005). Factors which influence food choice and food habits of Romanian young people. In Consumer and Nutrition.Challenges and Chances for Research and Society. Karlsruhe: Berichte der Bundesforschungsanstalt fur Ernahrung und Lebensmittel .
- Lotrean L, Laza V, Ionut C (2007). The Interrelationship Existing Between Health Risk Alimentary Habits Among Romanian Young People. Ann Nutri and Metbolism, 51, 88. https://doi.org/10.1159/000100954
- National Institute of Public Health (2011). Report regarding health in Romania. National Institute of Public Health. Bucharest, Romania: National Institute of Public Health (in Romanian).
- Ozkahraman S, Yildirim B (2012). Knowledge levels of Turkish nurses related to prevention and early diagnosis of cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6105-8 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6105
- Son KY, Park SM, Lee CH, et al (2011). Behavioral risk factors and use of preventive screening services among spousal caregivers of cancer patients. Support Care Cancer, 19, 919-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-010-0889-7
- World Health Organization (2000). Eurostat. Geneva: WHO.
- World Health Organization (2002). World Health Assembly global strategy on diet, physical activity and health. Resolution WHA55.23. Geneva: WHO.
- Awareness of Risk Factors for Cancer among Omani adults- A Community Based Study vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5401
- Knowledge Regarding Early Detection of Cancer among Romanian Women having Relatives with Cancer vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1091
- Food Habits, Lifestyle Factors, and Risk of Prostate Cancer in Central Argentina: A Case Control Study Involving Self-Motivated Health Behavior Modifications after Diagnosis vol.8, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu8070419