- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Cancer Screening in Korea, 2012: Results from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey
- Suh, Mina (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Choi, Kui Son (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Lee, Yoon Young (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Park, Boyoung (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center) ;
- Jun, Jae Kwan (National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center)
- Published : 2013.11.30
We investigated the cancer screening rates for five types of cancer (stomach, liver, colorectal, breast, and cervix uteri) using data from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey (KNCSS), which is a nationwide, annual cross-sectional survey. The eligible study population included cancer-free men 40 years of age and older and women 30 years of age and older. The lifetime screening rate and screening rate with recommendation were calculated. The lifetime screening rates for gastric, liver, colorectal, breast, and cervical cancers were 77.9%, 69.9%, 65.8%, 82.9%, and 77.1%, respectively. The screening rates with recommendation were 70.9%, 21.5%, 44.7%, 70.9%, and 67.9%, respectively. The most common reason for all types of cancer was "no symptoms", followed by "lack of time" and "fear of the examination procedure". Efforts to facilitate participation in liver and colorectal cancer screening among Korean men and women are needed.
Early detection of cancer;screening;national health program;health care surveys
- Bae MS, Han W, Koo HR, et al (2011). Characteristics of breast cancers detected by ultrasound screening in women with negative mammograms. Cancer Sci, 102, 1862-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.02034.x
- Caplan LS, McQueen DV, Qualters JR, et al (2003). Validity of women’s self-reports of cancer screening test utilization in a managed care population. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 12, 1182-7.
- Choi KS, Jun JK, Lee HY, et al (2010). Increasing uptake of colorectal cancer screening in Korea: a population-based study. BMC Public Health, 10, 265. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-10-265
- Choi KS, Jun JK, Park EC, et al (2012). Performance of different gastric cancer screening methods in Korea: a population-based study. PLoS One, 7, e50041. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0050041
- Corsetti V, Ferrari A, Ghirardi M, et al (2006). Role of ultrasonography in detecting mammographically occult breast carcinoma in women with dense breasts. Radiol Med, 111, 440-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11547-006-0040-5
- Damiani G, Federico B, Basso D, et al (2012). Socioeconomic disparities in the uptake of breast and cervical cancer screening in Italy: a cross sectional study. BMC Public Health, 12, 99. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-99
- del Carmen MG, Halpern EF, Kopans DB, et al (2007). Mammographic breast density and race. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 188, 1147-50. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.06.0619
- Gordon NP, Hiatt RA, Lampert DI (1993). Concordance of self-reported data and medical record audit for six cancer screening procedures. J Natl Cancer Inst, 85, 566-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.7.566
- Han MA, Choi KS, Park JH, Moore MA, Park EC (2011). Midcourse evaluation of the second-term 10-year plan for cancer control in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 327-33.
- Hoffmeister M, Chang-Claude J, Brenner H (2007). Validity of self-reported endoscopies of the large bowel and implications for estimates of colorectal cancer risk. Am J Epidemiol, 66, 130-6.
- Jones RM, Mongin SJ, Lazovich D, Church TR, Yeazel MW (2008). Validity of four self-reported colorectal cancer screening modalities in a general population: differences over time and by intervention assignment. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 777-84. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-0441
- Jung KW, Won YJ, Kong HJ, et al (2013). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival and prevalence in 2010. Cancer Res Treat, 45, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2013.45.1.1
- Kim CW, Lee SY, Moon OR (2008). Inequalities in cancer incidence and mortality across income groups and policy implications in South Korea. Public Health, 122, 229-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2007.07.003
- Kwak MS, Park EC, Bang JY, et al (2005). Factors associated with cancer screening participation, Korea. J Prev Med Public Health, 38, 473-481.
- Lee EH, Lee HY, Choi KS, et al (2011). Trends in cancer screening rates among Korean men and women: results from the Korean national cancer screening survey (KNCSS), 2004-2010. Cancer Res Treat, 43, 141-7. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2011.43.3.141
- Lee HY, Park EC, Jun JK, Choi KS, Hahm MI (2010). Comparing upper gastrointestinal X-ray and endoscopy for gastric cancer diagnosis in Korea. World J Gastroenterol, 16, 245-250. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i2.245
- Lee KS, Park JH (2013). Burden of disease in Korea during 2000-10. J Public Health (Oxf), [Epub ahead of print].
- Lee M, Park EC, Chang HS, et al (2013). Socioeconomic disparity in cervical cancer screening among Korean women: 1998-2010. BMC Public Health, 13, 553. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-553
- Lee YH, Choi KS, Lee HY, Jun JK (2012). Current status of the National Cancer Screening Program for cervical cancer in Korea, 2009. J Gynecol Oncol, 23, 16-21. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2012.23.1.16
- Lee YY, Oh DK, Choi KS, et al. (2011). The current status of gastric cancer screening in Korea: report on the National Cancer Screening Programme, 2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3495-3500.
- Myong JP, Shin JY, Kim SJ (2012). Factors associated with participation in colorectal cancer screening in Korea: the Fourth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV). Int J Colorectal Dis, 27, 1061-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-012-1428-4
- Noh DK, Choi KS, Jun JK, Lee HY, Park EC (2012). Factors associated with attending the National Cancer Screening Program for liver cancer in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 731-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.731
- Ock SM, Choi JY, Cha YS, et al (2009). The use of complementary and alternative medicine in a general population in South Korea: results from a national survey in 2006. J Korean Med Sci, 24, 1-6.
- Park B, Choi KS, Lee YY, Jun JK, Seo HG (2012a) Cancer screening status in Korea, 2011: results from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1187-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1187
- Park B, Choi KS, Lee YY, Jun JK, Seo HG (2012b). Trends in Cancer Screening Rates among Korean Men and Women: Results from the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey (KNCSS), 2004-2011. Cancer Res Treat, 44, 113-20. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2012.44.2.113
- Park B, Lee YK, Cho LY, et al (2011). Estimation of nationwide vaccination coverage and comparison of interview and telephone survey methodology for estimating vaccination status. J Korean Med Sci, 26, 711-9. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2011.26.6.711
- Shim JI, Kim Y, Han MA, et al (2010). Results of colorectal cancer screening of the national cancer screening program in Korea, 2008. Cancer Res Treat, 42, 191-8. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2010.42.4.191
- Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Barwly OW (2012). Cancer screening in the United States, 2012: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 129-42. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20143
- Commentary: Cancer Screening and Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Upper Digestive Tract in Science and Policy vol.04, pp.03, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12677/ACM.2014.43007
- Pemetrexed is Mildly Active with Good Tolerability in Treating Patients with Gastric Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7137
- Gastric Cancer in Brunei Darussalam: Epidemiological Trend Over a 27 Year Period (1986-2012) vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7281
- Factors Affecting Cancer Screening Intention and Behavior of the Korean Elderly vol.15, pp.19, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8461
- Esophageal/Gastric Cancer Screening in High-risk Populations in Henan Province, China vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1419
- A Systemic Analysis of S-1 Regimens for Treatment of Patients with Colon Cancer vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2191
- What is the Most Effective Strategy for Improving the Cancer Screening Rate in Japan? vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2607
- Factors Associated with Organized and Opportunistic Cancer Screening: Results of the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) 2007-2011 vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3279
- Relationship between Cancer Worry and Stages of Adoption for Breast Cancer Screening among Korean Women vol.10, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0132351
- Need to Pay More Attention to Attendance at Follow-Up Consultation after Cancer Screening in Smokers and Drinkers vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.109
- Diet and Colorectal Cancer Risk in Asia - a Systematic Review vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5389
- Preferences and Acceptance of Colorectal Cancer Screening in Thailand vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2269
- Recent Decrease in Colorectal Cancer Mortality Rate is Affected by Birth Cohort in Korea vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3951
- Factors Influencing Cancer Rescreening Intention of Korean Elderly vol.18, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2015.118
- The Korean guideline for gastric cancer screening vol.58, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2015.58.5.373
- Prognosis of Pregnancy-Associated Gastric Cancer: An Age-, Sex-, and Stage-Matched Case-Control Study vol.10, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl15323
- Outcome of Gastric Cancer Surgery in Elderly Patients vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5230/jgc.2016.16.4.254
- Cultural Beliefs and Attitudes About Breast Cancer and Screening Practices Among Arabic Women in Australia vol.39, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000325
- Analysis of Endoscopic Screening and Early Treatment of Upper Digestive Tract Carcinoma of 705 Cases in Linzhou of Henan, China 2008-2014 vol.07, pp.02, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12677/WJCR.2017.72009
- Evaluation of Slug expression is useful for predicting lymph node metastasis and survival in patients with gastric cancer vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-017-3668-8
- Associations between Health Literacy, Cancer-Related Knowledge, and Preventive Health Behaviors in Community-Dwelling Korean Adults vol.22, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2017.1401687
- Socioeconomic Disparities in Colorectal Cancer Screening in Korea vol.94, pp.39, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000001368
- Feedback Survey of the Effect, Burden, and Cost of the National Endoscopic Quality Assessment Program during the Past 5 Years in Korea vol.49, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5946/ce.2015.113
- Cancer screening in Koreans: a focus group approach vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5147-9
- Factor structure and internal reliability of cultural belief scales about colorectal cancer screening among Koreans in the Republic of Korea vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-6240-9
- Characteristics of overlooked synchronous gastric epithelial neoplasia after endoscopic submucosal dissection vol.97, pp.39, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000012536
- Determinants of gastric cancer screening attendance in Korea: a multi-level analysis vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-015-1328-4